Reload this Page >

Going and getting a social security number

Going and getting a social security number

Old Sep 19th 2004, 12:01 am
elf
Forum Regular

elf is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Going and getting a social security number

I arrive in the US in October, and will need to go and get my social security number in the first few days. I ticked on my form ( DS230 part 2) that I would like a number allocated for me when I had my embassy interview. Can anybody enlighten us to the procedure when we get there.

Elf
Old Sep 19th 2004, 12:22 am
The fattest member

fatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to all
Default Re: Going and getting a social security number

Originally Posted by elf
I arrive in the US in October, and will need to go and get my social security number in the first few days. I ticked on my form ( DS230 part 2) that I would like a number allocated for me when I had my embassy interview. Can anybody enlighten us to the procedure when we get there.

Elf
I just went to the ssn office a couple of weeks ago, and I got the number about a week later in the post. It was easier for me though as I had a work permit, the temp 90 day EAD permit that they only give to you if your point of entry in America is at JFK. I strongly advise everyone to go wherever it is your going through JFK, it made life a lot easier
Old Sep 19th 2004, 12:27 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

How you get your SSN and your entitlement to one depends on which visa you have.

I was a K1 ( you don't need the EAD for it) and just waited about 10 days to give time for me being entered into the SAVE system, then trotted off to my local SSA.
Old Sep 19th 2004, 1:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Just forget that you ticked the box that said you wanted a number sent to you. All you need is your visa, just take a number, go up when you're called and ask! It's one of the easier things to get.
Old Sep 19th 2004, 2:21 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elf

Elf
I ticked the form too and my SS card never showed up. 4 months later I gave up and went and applied for it in person at a local office. You can find your local office here: http://s00dace.ssa.gov/pro/fol/fol-home.html

It took about 10 minutes to apply for and came in less than a week.
Old Sep 19th 2004, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveC
I ticked the form too and my SS card never showed up. 4 months later I gave up and went and applied for it in person at a local office. You can find your local office here: http://s00dace.ssa.gov/pro/fol/fol-home.html

It took about 10 minutes to apply for and came in less than a week.
I applied for mine on day 4 of being here.. that was feb 1st... it arrived late march.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I came through JFK, on about the 3rd day I went to the local social security office and I seem to remember filling in a form plus I showed all the ID I had, UK drivers license, passport, I-94, visa, copy of visa app, AMEX card etc. The lady looked through all of it. Then the SSN came about a week later in the post.

-tom
Old Sep 20th 2004, 1:57 am
bc1
Just Joined

bc1 is an unknown quantity at this point

you can also apply by mail and avoid the trip to ss office
http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I came through JFK, on about the 3rd day I went to the local social security office and I seem to remember filling in a form plus I showed all the ID I had, UK drivers license, passport, I-94, visa, copy of visa app, AMEX card etc. The lady looked through all of it. Then the SSN came about a week later in the post.

-tom
Old Sep 21st 2004, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

bromleybill is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Going and getting a social security number

Originally Posted by elf

Elf

I am confused too.

I have just received my marriage based visa and the brown envelope to hand over. I asked the consular official about the SS card and he said that having applied for a number, it will be in the system when I get there. OK, I go to the local SS office and take the documentation that I required at the Embassy in London?

I have seen the letters "EAD" what does this mean?

Sorry I'm new here!!
Old Sep 21st 2004, 7:32 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bromleybill

I am confused too.

I have just received my marriage based visa and the brown envelope to hand over. I asked the consular official about the SS card and he said that having applied for a number, it will be in the system when I get there. OK, I go to the local SS office and take the documentation that I required at the Embassy in London?

Sorry I'm new here!!
Employment Authorisation Document
Old Sep 21st 2004, 9:54 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I'm new here!!
If you're a K3 you need the EAD before you get your SSN. If you're a K1 you can get it straight off the bat provided you apply while you still have 14 days + left on your I94. If you leave it til after marriage then you have to wait for the EAD. Hope that makes sense!

Last edited by sibsie; Sep 21st 2004 at 11:41 pm. Reason: Messed up my quote thingy
Old Sep 21st 2004, 11:11 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

I am confused too.

Sorry I'm new here!!
No need to apologize -- but here are two places where you DEFINITELY need to look around:

US Marriage-Based Visas newsgroup
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forum...?s=&forumid=35

K Visa FAQ
http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1faq.htm

If you don't know what an EAD is, then you have some homework to do. Happy Reading!!

~ Jenney
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
If you don't know what an EAD is, then you have some homework to do.
A slight remark on this one, Jenney... it is possible he entered on a CR1 or IR1 visa, in which case it's really not all that unlikely if he never heard about an EAD.

Elaine