British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Going to Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/going-canada-314500/)

Rockgurl Jul 18th 2005 8:21 am

Going to Canada

I'm travelling to Ottawa next week to play a festival with my band, and we're driving over the border. I've never been to Canada and I shall be using my green card (I presume). Is there anything I should know about driving across the border as a green card holder? What do Americans do? Do they just show their driving licenses? Should I show mine or should I show my British passport and green card? I really want to avoid any immigration issues.

Lion in Winter Jul 18th 2005 11:55 am

Re: Going to Canada

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
I'm travelling to Ottawa next week to play a festival with my band, and we're driving over the border. I've never been to Canada and I shall be using my green card (I presume). Is there anything I should know about driving across the border as a green card holder? What do Americans do? Do they just show their driving licenses? Should I show mine or should I show my British passport and green card? I really want to avoid any immigration issues.

1) Used to be that just the Green Card would do it, but these days I would take my passport as well. Not sure about the rule, but it can't hurt. If they ask for it, then you have it. If they don't, well, you still have it. Don't think just a license will do it for you any more.

2) Enjoy - it's a different culture. Slightly American, a bit English, fairly Scottish,and a certain something else - that would be Canadian. It's a nice break.

Manc Jul 18th 2005 12:39 pm

Enjoy RG.

passport and GC should suffice

Russ&Jayne Jul 18th 2005 3:40 pm

I drive over once a week and take both the GC and passport.

Jabba1 Jul 18th 2005 7:25 pm

What do Americans do? Probably stay away from Canada entirely. We still haven't forgotten the war of 1812 you know. :D

Rockgurl Jul 18th 2005 7:55 pm

LOL. Thanks guys...appreciate it. I better go pack the passport right now because I know we'll end up driving for 10 hours until I realize I've forgotten it!

ironporer Jul 18th 2005 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
... Slightly American, a bit English, fairly Scottish,and a certain something else - that would be Canadian. It's a nice break.

Sounds like Northern or U.P. Michigan, or Northern Wisconsin, aye?

Haggischomper Jul 18th 2005 8:45 pm

Joe Pernice of the Pernice Brothers (a band) had shedloads of trouble driving across the border for shows. I don't know if they took a dislike to him in particular or if it was more of a general 'give the "rock star" some hassle' type of a deal. They wouldn't even let him cross the border with t-shirts etc he was going to sell at shows.

Just a heads up.

iaink Jul 18th 2005 9:02 pm

Are they paying you to play? That would potentially create work permit issues, but only if you are performing in a bar or restaurant. Its probably the income thing from Tshirts that led to the other hassles reported here

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/exempt-1.html#artists

All you need to get into canada would really be your UK PP as its a visa waiver country.

To get back into the US you would need your GC and ID (PP, DL etc)

Have fun in Ottawa, bring your shorts, its hotter than hell at the moment with the humidity factored in.

Rockgurl Jul 18th 2005 9:59 pm

Yeah I've heard about bands getting hassle at the border. Thankfully though we're not taking our equipment, only our instruments as the festival we're playing is providing the backline, so it looks more like we partying than performing. I think we're only getting expenses for this show, but we do sell merchandise like tshirts and CDs. I can handle being turned away from the border as long as they let me back into the US! Maybe they'll take pity on a bunch of girls! :rolleyes:

Bob Jul 18th 2005 10:47 pm

The roads are narrower...well they were noticably so at Coburn *l*

iaink Jul 19th 2005 1:29 pm

Isn't a festival where the only males allowed to attend have to be under 10 years old a little bit sexist? Surprised to find this is OK in Canada.

Then again, I guess its no different to the (Boys only) Shriners I suppose.

g1ant Jul 19th 2005 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Russ&Jayne
I drive over once a week and take both the GC and passport.

How often do they ask to see your passport?

-

Russ&Jayne Jul 19th 2005 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by g1ant
How often do they ask to see your passport?

-

Usually most of the time. I just hand it over with my GC so they don't even ask now. There's one git of an officer at my nearest border who often pulls me over for a complete car search. It pisses the customs guy off no end :rolleyes:

Rockgurl Jul 19th 2005 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
Isn't a festival where the only males allowed to attend have to be under 10 years old a little bit sexist? Surprised to find this is OK in Canada.

Then again, I guess its no different to the (Boys only) Shriners I suppose.

No, it's not sexist. It's just that sometimes women want to have their own space. We have to spend the other 364 days a year with you blokes, so we need some respite! :D