Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

going to blighty tomorrow.. finally!

going to blighty tomorrow.. finally!

Old Nov 1st 2006, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

silvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the rough
Default going to blighty tomorrow.. finally!

just miss the place you know?!!

red eye ( AA ..yuk) over the pond tomorrow night..

unfortunately have to spend a couple days in hamburg before a glorious long weekend in londontown. what to do with 2 free days .. hmm ... any suggestions?

i was thinking the british museum for a start and maybe covent garden ...
Old Nov 1st 2006, 12:33 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: going to blighty tomorrow.. finally!

Originally Posted by silvermine

unfortunately have to spend a couple days in hamburg before a glorious long weekend in londontown. what to do with 2 free days .. hmm ... any suggestions?

No suggestions, but have a good trip
Old Nov 1st 2006, 12:35 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha....just got back from the UK and spent a week in London - loved it, loved it, loved it! I want to move back there and much prefer London to New York city (I need to write Part 2 of my trip....! ).

Where are you staying - central London or the outskirts?

If you like sports you could perhaps get a ticket to watch a rugby match at Twickenham or one of the football matches?

Check out the listings in Time Out magazine to see what's on (limited info here compared to the mag which you will find anywhere):

http://www.timeout.com/london

also:

http://www.londontown.com/

For a start I would guess that you'll be going to a pub/pubs and perhaps a fish and chip shop? (My husband loves the chippy in Hammersmith).

You could go to the TKTS theatre ticket booth in Leicester Square (green booth outside the Hampshire Hotel) and get half price tickets to a matinee or evening performance. (I think the theatres are still closed/dark on Sundays though). Also check opening times for museums, galleries on Sundays as they are limited hours mostly. You can then go and have a drink in one of the pubs around Covent Garden or Soho. (If Elvira sees this she will be suggesting that you go to a concert at the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden LOL! On the other hand, you might want to see a live band in a pub or go to a live comedy show where you will understand the humour....check Time Out for listings.....)

I went to the Sir John Soames museum in Lincoln's Inn Fields, next to Holborn tube station and walking distance of Covent Garden or the British Museum....small museum, free entry and fascinating. I also went to the Imperial War Museum (free) and could have easily spent a whole day in there.

http://www.londontown.com/LondonInfo...s_Museum/d001/

http://www.londontown.com/London/Imperial_War_Museum

Walk, walk, walk! So many lovely parks in London, perhaps stroll along the Embankment, go across the Millenium Bridge (nr. Blackfriars Bridge) and go to the Tate Modern....carry on walking along the river towards the Royal Festival Hall towards Westminster and see the river views (Houses of Parliament, huge Ferris wheel) or take a boat ride along the river.

Perhaps go to Richmond and have Sunday lunch in a pub overlooking the Thames? Lots of lovely places to walk around there. Kew Gardens?

Go to Brick Lane (Spitalfields, adjacent to Liverpool St Station) for a curry...

Saturday morning....Notting Hill/Portobello Road markets for looking at antiques or funkyunusual clothes which you will never see in the US?

So much to do.....so little time!

Last edited by Englishmum; Nov 1st 2006 at 12:48 am.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

silvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Ha ha....just got back from the UK and spent a week in London - loved it, loved it, loved it! I want to move back there and much prefer London to New York city (I need to write Part 2 of my trip....! ).

Where are you staying - central London or the outskirts?

If you like sports you could perhaps get a ticket to watch a rugby match at Twickenham or one of the football matches?

Check out the listings in Time Out magazine to see what's on (limited info here compared to the mag which you will find anywhere):

http://www.timeout.com/london

also:

http://www.londontown.com/

For a start I would guess that you'll be going to a pub/pubs and perhaps a fish and chip shop? (My husband loves the chippy in Hammersmith).

You could go to the TKTS theatre ticket booth in Leicester Square (green booth outside the Hampshire Hotel) and get half price tickets to a matinee or evening performance. (I think the theatres are still closed/dark on Sundays though). Also check opening times for museums, galleries on Sundays as they are limited hours mostly. You can then go and have a drink in one of the pubs around Covent Garden or Soho. (If Elvira sees this she will be suggesting that you go to a concert at the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden LOL! On the other hand, you might want to see a live band in a pub or go to a live comedy show where you will understand the humour....check Time Out for listings.....)

I went to the Sir John Soames museum in Lincoln's Inn Fields, next to Holborn tube station and walking distance of Covent Garden or the British Museum....small museum, free entry and fascinating. I also went to the Imperial War Museum (free) and could have easily spent a whole day in there.

http://www.londontown.com/LondonInfo...s_Museum/d001/

http://www.londontown.com/London/Imperial_War_Museum

Walk, walk, walk! So many lovely parks in London, perhaps stroll along the Embankment, go across the Millenium Bridge (nr. Blackfriars Bridge) and go to the Tate Modern....carry on walking along the river towards the Royal Festival Hall towards Westminster and see the river views (Houses of Parliament, huge Ferris wheel) or take a boat ride along the river.

Perhaps go to Richmond and have Sunday lunch in a pub overlooking the Thames? Lots of lovely places to walk around there. Kew Gardens?

Go to Brick Lane (Spitalfields, adjacent to Liverpool St Station) for a curry...

Saturday morning....Notting Hill/Portobello Road markets for looking at antiques or funkyunusual clothes which you will never see in the US?

So much to do.....so little time!
well gosh, thanks for the comprehensive post! i do stay in south ken. so am
very close to the tube and can get anywhere quickly.

i know what you mean so much to do and little time... you have refreshed my memory and i might try that little Sir John Soames museum as very close to the british where i just can't go often enough..
thanks again ! sounds like a plan. cheers!
Old Nov 1st 2006, 1:30 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: going to blighty tomorrow.. finally!

well gosh, thanks for the comprehensive post! i do stay in south ken. so am
very close to the tube and can get anywhere quickly.

i know what you mean so much to do and little time... you have refreshed my memory and i might try that little Sir John Soames museum as very close to the british where i just can't go often enough..
thanks again ! sounds like a plan. cheers!
Aha! I was staying in Sth Kensington too, just a block away from Gloucester Road tube station. Brilliant location....hey, you're just a stone's throw from the V&A, Science museum, Nat History museum, Kensington Palace gdns.....Waitrose, Sainsbury's and Tesco Extra LOL!

Had a nice meal at a pub on Gloucester Road, think it was something like the Duke/Earl/Marquis of Granby.

PS; the Soames museum is closed on Sundays. They do a guided tour on Sat afternoons.....enjoyed seeing Hogarth's "The Rakes Progress" series (he did the famous Gin Lane print).

Have a fab trip....wish I was going back there too!

Last edited by Englishmum; Nov 1st 2006 at 1:34 am.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Aha! I was staying in Sth Kensington too, just a block away from Gloucester Road tube station. Brilliant location....hey, you're just a stone's throw from the V&A, Science museum, Nat History museum, Kensington Palace gdns.....Waitrose, Sainsbury's and Tesco Extra LOL!

Had a nice meal at a pub on Gloucester Road, think it was something like the Duke/Earl/Marquis of Granby.

PS; the Soames museum is closed on Sundays. They do a guided tour on Sat afternoons.....enjoyed seeing Hogarth's "The Rakes Progress" series (he did the famous Gin Lane print).

Have a fab trip....wish I was going back there too!
yes i also walk one block to the Gloucester rd tube.. pity that museum is closed on sundays . only arrive at 2:30 on sat. into heathrow. so i would likely miss it. the V&A i have been it was overwhelming ..could have stayed for days in there..
Old Nov 1st 2006, 1:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Got to see the V&A...it's one of my favs and just a great place...also the Hayward gallery just behind waterloo is usually a lot of fun too

HAve a fun trip
Old Nov 1st 2006, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

unfortunately have to spend a couple days in hamburg :
Nothing unfortunate about that! Get yourself down the Reeperbahn for several steins of fine German beer in the company of women of dubious repute! Just watch the beer doesn't knock you flat after being used to US stuff and jetlagged!
Old Nov 1st 2006, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dan725
Nothing unfortunate about that! Get yourself down the Reeperbahn for several steins of fine German beer in the company of women of dubious repute! Just watch the beer doesn't knock you flat after being used to US stuff and jetlagged!
heh, i will say in all honesty after 13 trips to hamburg (this yr. being no.14) that i only went to the reeperbahn once and only (as god is my witness) to attend a very nice dinner in a very good italian restaurant...
no jacuzzis for 500 marks etc etc (i'm married after all , lol )

on the other hand, i have had many pils+all sorts of wursts.. hamburg is now a dynamic city but .. with a choice i spend my free weekend in london every time.

Last edited by silvermine; Nov 1st 2006 at 2:25 am.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 2:31 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Cool, have a good trip!

In London, take the boat from Embankment to Greenwich and have your photo taken straddling the Meridian Line. Then go visit the Cutty Sark.

There's a great pub on the South Bank near, I think, Blackfriars. It might be a little east of the London Eye (been up that yet? Well worth it, much fun!). Anyway, it juts out a bit into the river and does a mean curry.

I always love going to the Globe Theatre, too, thespian nut that I am.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy, make the most of it.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 5:45 am
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Go see a West End show