Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Going Back to the UK to Have a Baby?

Going Back to the UK to Have a Baby?

Old Jan 10th 2019, 5:36 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going Back to the UK to Have a Baby?

Originally Posted by robin1234
Ordinarily Resident means, broadly, living in the UK on a lawful, voluntary and properly settled basis for the time being. I've always assumed, for British Citizens, that means you can step of the plane and say (to yourself) "Hmm I think I'll settle here and live here for the time being." At any time in the future, you can change your mind and leave.

Sadly not. Which I suppose, when it comes to use of services for which those ordinarily resident have paid with their taxes, makes sense.

For instance, my son needed shoulder surgery early last summer due to a dislocation suffered while wrestling. While he has visited the UK many times, and is a British citizen, he has never paid NI there and I have paid very little due to most of my working life being spent in the US. Therefore we have contributed almost nothing to the NHS system, and if we were to have hopped on a plane and expected the NHS to pay for his shoulder op that really would not have been fair.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 5:58 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Ordinarily Resident means, broadly, living in the UK on a lawful, voluntary and properly settled basis for the time being. I've always assumed, for British Citizens, that means you can step of the plane and say (to yourself) "Hmm I think I'll settle here and live here for the time being." At any time in the future, you can change your mind and leave.
It does but that’s not what the OP is proposing.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 6:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Sadly not. Which I suppose, when it comes to use of services for which those ordinarily resident have paid with their taxes, makes sense. ...
I agree 100%.

​​​​​​​Like you I recognize that I left the NHS behind it the UK. I knew full well as I boarded the plane on November 6, 2001, with a CR1 in my passport, that I was about to leave NHS coverage. Therefore it pï$$es me off enormously when I hear of my fellow expat compatriots who think it is OK to go and leech off the NHS just because the NHS isn't as vigilant as they should be in collecting fees from the parasites who abuse the poorly-policed system.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Going Back to the UK to Have a Baby?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I agree 100%.

Like you I recognize that I left the NHS behind it the UK. I knew full well as I boarded the plane on November 6, 2001, with a CR1 in my passport, that I was about to leave NHS coverage. Therefore it pï$$es me off enormously when I hear of my fellow expat compatriots who think it is OK to go and leech off the NHS just because the NHS isn't as vigilant as they should be in collecting fees from the parasites who abuse the poorly-policed system.
+1
Old Jan 10th 2019, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I agree 100%.

Like you I recognize that I left the NHS behind it the UK. I knew full well as I boarded the plane on November 6, 2001, with a CR1 in my passport, that I was about to leave NHS coverage. Therefore it pï$$es me off enormously when I hear of my fellow expat compatriots who think it is OK to go and leech off the NHS just because the NHS isn't as vigilant as they should be in collecting fees from the parasites who abuse the poorly-policed system.
​​​​​​​+2
Old Jan 10th 2019, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly not. Which I suppose, when it comes to use of services for which those ordinarily resident have paid with their taxes, makes sense.

For instance, my son needed shoulder surgery early last summer due to a dislocation suffered while wrestling. While he has visited the UK many times, and is a British citizen, he has never paid NI there and I have paid very little due to most of my working life being spent in the US. Therefore we have contributed almost nothing to the NHS system, and if we were to have hopped on a plane and expected the NHS to pay for his shoulder op that really would not have been fair.
Agree aside from the reference to NI: in actual fact over 80% of NHS funding comes from general taxation. So anyone paying any form of UK taxes is contributing to the NHS.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 8:03 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Agree aside from the reference to NI: in actual fact over 80% of NHS funding comes from general taxation. So anyone paying any form of UK taxes is contributing to the NHS.
Yes; the NHS has always been funded from general taxation. NICs are linked to your future state pension entitlement but both are funded from general taxation.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 8:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is an interesting moralistic discussion.

There was something in the news the other day that New York and to a lesser degree California are going to expand Heath care to all residents no matter what their status.

Similar reasons, anybody living somewhere pays some sort of taxation, directly or indirectly.

In this case being in the UK means you are paying taxes, even landing at a UK airport.

Many many years ago it annoyed me and now when it comes up more amused. You see similar cases in the US with people coming here and using Emergency Medicaid.

As far as the somewhat less interesting original question unclear if the wife can pass on US citizenship, if she can the child would need a CRBA and a US passport.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 8:41 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Thanks, but still not me or my son

He will be getting part-time job as a student soon, however.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

I agree 100%.

​​​​​​​+3
Old Jan 11th 2019, 7:53 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It does but that’s not what the OP is proposing.
The way I read it, the OP & family were proposing to settle in Britain for the time being. I've seen plenty of posts on BE about not burning your bridges - who knows, you might change your mind, return to the US, decide not to return to the US, who knows what the future holds.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

The way I read it, the OP & family were proposing to settle in Britain for the time being. I've seen plenty of posts on BE about not burning your bridges - who knows, you might change your mind, return to the US, decide not to return to the US, who knows what the future holds.
No..... they are intending to spend a short time visiting family - nothing at all about settling in the UK - hence all the discussion about eligibility to the NHS
Old Jan 11th 2019, 8:26 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Come on. He said they would stay for a month. You don't settle for a month.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 9:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by civilservant
Come on. He said they would stay for a month. You don't settle for a month.
I certainly do not, would not, could not.

I do know people who do switch back and fore within the US, normally it seems seasonally. Some friends contacted me just now who have 2 houses one near me and one down near Denver. Now I assumed that the one by Denver was primary, but they seem to be spending more time up here. I need to ask them.

Internationally well more complicated, more expensive and the rules are inevitably more confusing where you have 2 legal system that do not mesh, why should they. I was talking to a guy who was having all sorts of issues with his Hunting License, he was in Colorado and considered Colorado his residence and should be able to get an in State Tag, he had a Truck registered in another State where he also had a house and that seemed to be causing him all sorts of issues.

In this case they certainly seen to be pushing their luck from what has been posted, well that is what the cynical side of me thinks.

I remember reading about a town on the Dutch Belgium border where the border is all over the place and the determining factor is where your front door is, somebody moved there front door so they could move Country. Usually it is a small issue, does not effect many, can be ignored.
Old Jan 11th 2019, 10:38 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

But that is the actual definition of Ordinarily Resident. I cut and pasted it from an NHS page, but the same sentence is used in numerous places. Obviously, the thing about a persons decision on getting off the plane is my gloss on it, but there's no getting away from it - that is the essence of Ordinarily Resident. I'm not quite sure why this is controversial? Surely people settle in the UK all the time, and a proportion of them subsequently change their minds?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.