Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Going Back to the UK to Have a Baby?

Going Back to the UK to Have a Baby?

Old Jan 9th 2019, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going Back to the UK to Have a Baby?

OP is completely lost it seems. What a thread! Make sure you tell the NHS admins you are a resident of the USA
Old Jan 9th 2019, 2:55 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Is it the case, citizenship questions aside, that if you are un or underinsured in the US, even paying full whack in the UK giving birth there is still way cheaper than paying for it here? Or not?
Old Jan 9th 2019, 2:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Is it the case, citizenship questions aside, that if you are un or underinsured in the US, even paying full whack in the UK giving birth there is still way cheaper than paying for it here? Or not?
​​​​​​​If one thing is clear on this thread, it is that the OP is not planning on paying the NHS for the delivery.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 2:59 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If one thing is clear on this thread, it is that the OP is not planning on paying the NHS for the delivery.
Yes, I had the same impression, but would still like an answer to my question since I actually want to know. Not for myself, you understand
Old Jan 9th 2019, 3:02 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

A quick Google suggested $6-7k for a 'straightforward' birth using NHS services.

I would suggest that is significantly cheaper than the US if under/un-insured. A quick search suggests the average copay in the US for a birth is $3k..
Old Jan 9th 2019, 3:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I had the same impression, but would still like an answer to my question since ....
​​​​​​​Please take a number and stand in line, there are many questions on this thread that deserve answers.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Please take a number and stand in line, there are many questions on this thread that deserve answers.

If I'm in line, then I get to tut.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant
A quick Google suggested $6-7k for a 'straightforward' birth using NHS services.

I would suggest that is significantly cheaper than the US if under/un-insured. A quick search suggests the average copay in the US for a birth is $3k..
Yes, way cheaper.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I had the same impression, but would still like an answer to my question since I actually want to know. Not for myself, you understand
It must be extremely expensive for him to be considering 2 return flights and living in the UK for at least 2 to 3 months. What about loss of income during this time?
Old Jan 9th 2019, 3:40 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

The thing that always seems to be forgotten by those gambling on a 'non NHS funded' cheap birth in the UK is if the baby needs neonatal care. The cost of that runs between £2,000 - £3,500 PER NIGHT in a private hospital. That's just for medical/nursing care, if the baby requires surgery the cost is anyone's guess.

And while I'm on my high horse, there's no way in the world that a US national who's just visiting the UK is going to be getting free NHS treatment for a pregnancy/birth. Being married to a Brit isn't relevant, owning property in the UK isn't relevant - they're not ordinarily resident in the UK so they're not entitled to free NHS care and that's that. They can attend an NHS hospital, but will be charged at 150% of the cost of their care.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 3:43 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say more like £6 - 7k. Excluding C-sections, pre-natal scans, ultrasounds, consultant visits etc.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 3:56 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I actually did mean to put a GBP sign, but I don't use it much anymore so forgot
Old Jan 9th 2019, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

'They can attend an NHS hospital, but will be charged at 150% of the cost of their care.'

What's the rationale for 150% rather than 100% of the cost. Seems a bit punitive.

Last edited by Hotscot; Jan 9th 2019 at 4:15 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 3:59 pm
Often not so civil...

Moneymaker. Plain and simple.
Old Jan 9th 2019, 4:05 pm

I actually did mean to put a GBP sign, but I don't use it much anymore so forgot. ....
​​​​​​​Surely that belongs in the "You know you've been living in the US too long when ..." thread.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 9th 2019 at 4:09 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.