Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Going Back to the UK to Have a Baby?

Going Back to the UK to Have a Baby?

Old Jan 8th 2019, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

DanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud of
Default Re: Going Back to the UK to Have a Baby?

Originally Posted by Noorah101
So, back to the topic. Did you read my post? Will your USC wife be able to pass along her US citizenship to the baby if it's born in the UK? If not, how do you plan on bringing the baby back to live in the USA with you?

Rene
I must have missed it. I think that citizenship will pass to the child on birth automatically if the baby comes after 5 years of us being in the US, but if it's sooner than that then it involves quite a bit more paperwork. I was simply interested in anyone who had gone through the process.

The point of this whole endeavour is to go back to the UK to spend time with family, and have a lower cost birth. If citizenship becomes an issue then it simply is not an option. Again, I was looking for folks who may have done this before, but seem to be out of luck here
Old Jan 8th 2019, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

DanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud ofDanielOH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mercury39
Pulaski, Welcome back, good to see you back, direct and helpful advice.

Back to this topic, some hopefully useful information for the OP - Be very very careful about showing you are really a resident, and not just because family have a residence in the UK (I share because would like to help anyone avoid large unplanned costs that impacted others I know, and it cost them thousands for a very similar situation)
Entitlement to NHS Hospital Treatment for Non-Resident UK Citizens
British expats from outside Europe must pay for NHS hospital care
Expats Have To Pay For NHS Care
Thanks. That's helpful info. Appreciate the input.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 12:44 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DanielOH
I think that citizenship will pass to the child on birth automatically if the baby comes after 5 years of us being in the US,
Slight correction. Not "us", but only your USC wife. Since you are a PR, it has no bearing on the child's citizenship.

Rene
Old Jan 8th 2019, 12:50 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

To summarise: your wife can fly back to the UK to give birth if she so desires but she would not be entitled to free NHS healthcare nor would the child be a US citizen at birth. In short, not a goer.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Time to start planning for the USA birth. Good luck and hope it all goes to plan.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 1:05 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

At risk of sending this thread completely off the rails, also consider that claiming residency in the UK may be considered at odds with you having a green card should those streams ever cross.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 3:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

OP says he has a residence, which is different from being resident.

But as the legalities come from very different directions there must be some overlap.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 3:28 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

The point of this whole endeavour is to go back to the UK to spend time with family, and have a lower cost birth. If citizenship becomes an issue then it simply is not an option. Again, I was looking for folks who may have done this before, but seem to be out of luck here
In just a few hours, this thread has had 36 replies and 370 views and yet no-one has even contemplated, let alone done what you are suggesting. Does that tell you anything at all?
Old Jan 8th 2019, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of things to clarify:

1. Our family have residence in the UK as well. We 100% can access healthcare there. Also, it was not a question I had even asked here.
2. The reason for doing it is for lower cost healthcare and to spend time with family.
3. It is one of the many options that our family is exploring.

I really do remember this board as being much more open in the past! Thanks anyway.
People are just trying to help you avoid some of the pitfalls (which you seem to be denying or ignoring). See it as a positive thing.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 12:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Another pitfall : After the baby is born there are complications to baby and/or mother. Can you spend an undetermined time away from the US? Will this cause problems with your job? With your Green card.

Also if you do go ahead how old will baby be when you do fly back. Whatever citizenship the baby will need a passport to travel. Looking on it from a health point of view, do you really want a tiny baby exposed to all the people and the germs that run riot on planes and in airports. Not to mention your wife who may end up with a c- section. Is it fair to her having to travel after surgery?

I think you are thinking this whole thing from your own view of normal UK visiting and not including the "extras" that are the most important parts of this trip! Don't do it!
Old Jan 8th 2019, 12:53 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Arriving late to the party here, but this is in inanely dumb thing to do.

I'm guessing you are uninsured or under insured in the US, this is the only reason this even withstands a passing thought as an idea - and even then it's a terrible one.

Neither the US nor the UK are Burger King, you can't 'Have It Your Way'

In just a few hours, this thread has had 36 replies and 370 views and yet no-one has even contemplated, let alone done what you are suggesting. Does that tell you anything at all?
Old Jan 8th 2019, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Winston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond repute

My guess is the OP has probably logged off by now, 'disappointed' in the contributions of the BE forum.

However, for my two pence worth - if this is your first child you have an understandable naivety about what could go wrong with a birth. My wife and I were utterly cavalier about our first birth - it went wrong and mentally scarred us, fortunately, everyone lived to tell the tale.

Second birth was premature by 7 weeks and required significant care thereafter for weeks. Both times no sign of anything abnormal during pregnancy.

Do not underestimate the risks of childbirth!!

If it's due to a lack in insurance you have my sympathy. If it's because you're trying to save some $ then please have a re-think.

I guarantee when you go to the UK maternity unit for the first time you will be asked for your midwife notes - my wife had difficulty being seen in a different healthcare trust in the UK, from the one we lived in when she had a pregnancy complication while enjoying a weekend in Kent - we lived in Norwich at the time. You will be asked some awkward questions which will almost certainly require untrue answers.

Good luck on whichever avenue you choose.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

OP, you did not say if your wife has lived in the UK and obtained an NHS number in the past. Without one she will be required to complete a form which includes providing proof that is entitled to live in the UK plus proof that she is legally resident such as utility bills in her name at her address in the UK.

We have had 2 children and despite normal prenatal health my wife ended up with an emergency c-section in both cases. Sh1t happens.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 8:15 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant

Neither the US nor the UK are Burger King, you can't 'Have It Your Way'

I guessing he did otherwise his wife wouldn't be pregnant.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 8:18 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
It tells me that if there are people that fit the criteria they have enough sense not to stick their head above the parapet and admit it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.