Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Going Back to the UK to Have a Baby?

Going Back to the UK to Have a Baby?

Old Jan 13th 2019, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going Back to the UK to Have a Baby?

It would not surprise me if someone who has retained a mailing address in the UK and never actively removed themselves from a GP's books would be able to "get away with it". Clearly it's against the rules, but you are talking about an organisation that is simply not set-up to think the way you need to think when it comes to charging for the service. I'd hazard a guess, knowing people who work in the NHS, that most staff wouldn't even know what to do if they did suspect someone was playing the system. Now, considering they potentially have a UK address, maybe remained registered with a GP and probably speak like a local, it would surprise me if they did end up with a bill. Maybe in areas more used to visitors using the system I suppose? I certainly do not remember having to to be asked any such questions when using the NHS.

That all being said, clearly it looks like a bad idea and undermines the entire funding principles for the NHS - it would be like me coming here to the USA and claiming on someone else's insurance!
Old Jan 13th 2019, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
So it seems they send a bill out, wonder if it gets paid?

I had to call the UK last week, they wanted my well UK SSN number as an identifier, not a clue. SSN number I know by heart.
National Insurance number you mean?
That's the thing - only a few basic details for someone who has retained an active bank account and possiblly uses their family address for mailing and you could pretty easily scam the system - with little effort, maybe not even needing to answer any questions in some instances. My GP & Dentists never confirmed our address details after the day we registered, over a number of years. I can easily see a return visit and they'd treat us without checking.

I believe it is a bill sent out for payment, which creates the added issue for the NHS in non-payments by non resident people.

I suppose the question an NHS Trust asks itself is whether the costs of having the depts necessary to run billing and chase payment is worth it vs. the cost of potentially providing services to people who are not eligible. The NHS runs at about half the cost per capita, even allowing for this, vs. the USA system, last time I saw reporting on it.
Old Jan 13th 2019, 10:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes my NI Number, I do have it but I doubt if I needed it more that once every 10 years.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 12:56 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It’s quite hit and miss depending on which trust your hospital falls under. Some ask no questions, some require to fill a side of A4 with your address, NINO, passport number, employment status, travel history, etc.. Also remember that a trip to a GP or A&E count as primary care and are free to all including visitors. It’s secondary care - in-patient treatment - where people will start asking questions.