Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Going back to U.K.

Wikiposts

Going back to U.K.

Old Nov 19th 2008, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going back to U.K.

I looked into this whilst in the UK this year but if you've been out of the country over six years, give or take an exemption or two, then you cant play catch up. You have to have 30 years of contributions to be eligible (from 2010).

If you write to them, or call they are the most helpful part of the govt. No joke - they are so informative.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nic/class3.htm
Old Nov 19th 2008, 7:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Let me know what you find out! I have no desire to go back to the UK, but I do consider going to Italy or Spain ... not sure if any of these things are transferable amongst EU countries - probably not!
they are to some degree, well a UK pension would be paid over there, but to make voluntary contributions, you had to have paid contributions for 3 years prior to leaving the UK.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
they are to some degree, well a UK pension would be paid over there, but to make voluntary contributions, you had to have paid contributions for 3 years prior to leaving the UK.
depends on your age obviously but for me I really dont think that there will be any state pension worth having when i get to the retirement age - which will probably be 100 by then!
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:26 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if you move back would they allow you to pay double or 1.5 times the normal rate or something to be able to play catch up.
I haven't payed in enough to get a pension either. I only have probably 5 or 6 years of contributions, maybe 7 years at a pinch (I started work really young)
But to meet 30 years of payment, is an awful lot, what about Moms who spend 10 years having an looking after kids, before returning to work, and then maybe part time for a while. Thats what I've done here in US. Dh and I laugh, we get my SSI statement in the post each year and I should get enough for a pint of milk and the Sunday paper, in the US, even though I have really worked part time on and off for the last 20 years.