Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Going back to U.K.

Going back to U.K.

Old Nov 18th 2008, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

YorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to all
Default Going back to U.K.

Bit of a weird one and hopefully very simple:

Going back to England for the first time with wife and kids after 4 years of living here (have 10 year green card), and was wondering if there is something I should have done or some UK agency I should have notified when I was actually moving out of the country in the first place? I just sort of upped and left...didn't do anything with taxes or anything...never even really thought about it. My passport is valid and papers in order, etc. I just thought that maybe I was missing something when I originally moved...

Thanks.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 5:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going back to U.K.

The only tax related form you should have filled in is a P85. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/p85_p85s.htm

Hope that helps.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 18th 2008 at 5:45 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 5:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
The only tax related form you should have filled in is a P85. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/p85_p85s.htm

Hope that helps.
He also should have notified the appropriate dept regarding Child Benefit. If he's been receiving CB whilst living in the US he'll have to pay it back.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

YorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
He also should have notified the appropriate dept regarding Child Benefit. If he's been receiving CB whilst living in the US he'll have to pay it back.

I haven't been receiving any kind of benefits or income from properties or whatnot since I left. I just went through the immigration process, quit my job and left! I should obviously have investigated what I needed to do on the UK end, but I was so preoccupied with the USCIS stuff I didn't think. Bloody hell!!
Old Nov 18th 2008, 6:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YorkshirePudding
I haven't been receiving any kind of benefits or income from properties or whatnot since I left. I just went through the immigration process, quit my job and left! I should obviously have investigated what I needed to do on the UK end, but I was so preoccupied with the USCIS stuff I didn't think. Bloody hell!!
That's good...at least you won't owe anything. I would email/write/call the IR and explain your position....you may be due for a tax refund.

Have you been paying NI contributions (reduced rate)? If not it may be worthwhile paying them up to date.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 6:16 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Are you coming back?

What I really mean to ask is if you plan on going > 6 months or > 12 months, you may need to take some precautions to ensure your Green Card remains valid. It's only 'permanent' as long as you remain in 'residence'.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

That's good...at least you won't owe anything. I would email/write/call the IR and explain your position....you may be due for a tax refund.

Have you been paying NI contributions (reduced rate)? If not it may be worthwhile paying them up to date.
Thanks for that, Jerseygirl.

No, I have not been paying NI contributions. Very irresponsible of me to just totally disregard and not even research my UK end of procedures, I guess.

Man, I can just imagine walking through passport control and getting ushered in to interrogation or something!
Old Nov 18th 2008, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Are you coming back?

What I really mean to ask is if you plan on going > 6 months or > 12 months, you may need to take some precautions to ensure your Green Card remains valid. It's only 'permanent' as long as you remain in 'residence'.
Penguin: Yes, I'll be back in a week. I'm well up to speed on my US criteria, but not so much on my UK, apparently!
Old Nov 18th 2008, 6:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks for that, Jerseygirl.

No, I have not been paying NI contributions. Very irresponsible of me to just totally disregard and not even research my UK end of procedures, I guess.

Man, I can just imagine walking through passport control and getting ushered in to interrogation or something!
From what you have told us you will sail through UK immigration without any problems. You do not have to pay NI contributions whilst living overseas but many expats do to maintain their pension. Look into it further to see if paying back NI contributions is worthwhile.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

From what you have told us you will sail through UK immigration without any problems. You do not have to pay NI contributions whilst living overseas but many expats do to maintain their pension. Look into it further to see if paying back NI contributions is worthwhile.

Thanks for your advice! I appreciate it.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 8:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

apart from P85...might be worth sorting out voter proxy as it's a hassle from abroad, that's if you've got family or someone you trust to vote on your behalf...much better that way than doing it by mail....
Old Nov 18th 2008, 8:34 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

When the immigration officer swipes your passport it will come up then if there are any outstanding murders, fines, non appearances in Court, income tax owing etc.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 5:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I did the same thing back in 1983 ... got my visa, quit my job, and jumped on a plane! I have yet to fill out a form ...

I've been back about 5 times since (on my UK passport) and never been asked any questions, and renewed my passport twice.

I only worked there 3 years, and didn't own or sell property, so my situation was pretty simple.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I did the same thing back in 1983 ... got my visa, quit my job, and jumped on a plane! I have yet to fill out a form ...

I've been back about 5 times since (on my UK passport) and never been asked any questions, and renewed my passport twice.

I only worked there 3 years, and didn't own or sell property, so my situation was pretty simple.
I was the same way. But I have been wondering about paying NI again should I choose to move back in the future.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Janek66
I was the same way. But I have been wondering about paying NI again should I choose to move back in the future.
Let me know what you find out! I have no desire to go back to the UK, but I do consider going to Italy or Spain ... not sure if any of these things are transferable amongst EU countries - probably not!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.