Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Going back on promises...

Going back on promises...

Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

memiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nice
Default Going back on promises...

I need to let of some steam, absolutely don't know what to do anymore and if things continue the way they are going now... we will be bankrupt by the end of the year.

The L1 petition for my husband was denied some time ago by the USCIS, too bad nothing we can do about that but life goes on. As the company really wanted and needed my husband in the US, they arranged for a B1 in lieue of H1b for him so he could do the jib he is hired for.
Due to the fact that everyone constantly said the L1 was a done deal, we already started renting a house (I know, stupid thing to do but we did). As the L1 fell through, we cannot sell our home in The Netherlands so no cash coming in from that anytime soon.

When my husband first started the negotiations, they mentioned a move package in which they would pay for our actual move (only $10.000,- ) and for his expenses paid in the time he has to travel back and forward (living expenses, etc.).

Now that he is actually living in the US in a rented house, they suddenly say that all expenses he makes now are being deducted from the move package! That is a car rental and the house. How do they think we are able to live in two countries, maintain two houses, on only his salary? They come back on all their promisses and we end up being the ones that have nothing left. They seem to think this is normal practice but I think it is just not right. I can't work in the US. I have a travel business back home that is currently not doing so great due to the fact that I stopped taking in clients as we were to move to the US, we can't sell the house, we have to pay for everything in both places, all my travel is never being reimbursed at all and if they make the expenses we currently have our moving package, than we cannot move if the time ever comes (they ill re-file the petition, that's what they told us but we have no idea when)

Sorry if this post is difficult to follow, just don;t know the right words for now as I'm feeling pretty upset at the moment. This is such a time I wish I was able to talk to the people in that company so I could take charge...
Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Going back on promises...

Might be time to head back. The core issue seems to be the sale of your house and it sounds like the employer did not sign up for that.

From your description looks like you have 'moved' so are out of the rembursement aspect.

When it comes down to it, what does the contract say?
Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

memiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nice

To be honest: my thoughts exactly. I love it here, I would love to stay but the way this company is treating my husband and me, I don't feel it can give us somewhat of a stable future.

All the moving is kept out of the contract and dealt with via e-mails stating what and how. The problem is that they now see us as being moved while we can't move as we are here only on B1 in lieue of H1b and B2.

The " in-between" arrangement of living expenses is also in the e-mails but somehow they keep on putting those side and just look at the ones that state the moving expenses.

We've also asked what if we had to stay in a hotel the whole time we are out here as we are here just temporary and they would still not pay for the cost (too bad.... it would be more expensive than our rent).
Old Nov 12th 2008, 11:00 pm
Account Closed

Even if you had a H, you would still be in the same predicament. There are some threads here about those on L's who have basically been screwed as well.

I wish you well, there is no answer, consider all the options and go with your gut.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by memiek
All the moving is kept out of the contract and dealt with via e-mails stating what and how.
therein the problem lies....it's imperative to have all aspects of relocation written in the contract otherwise you haven't a leg to stand on.....
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
therein the problem lies....it's imperative to have all aspects of relocation written in the contract otherwise you haven't a leg to stand on.....
Absolutely. And I know it sounds unsympathetic, but I find it odd that the husband started work and moved to the US when there was no guarantee that the trailing spouse would get a visa and be able to move over. In these circumstances, I agree with a previous poster in that its time to head back.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:56 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Curious how he "moved" to the US on a B1? What time for departure is written in on his I-94? It is lucky that you can't sell the house because with a B-1 you will probably have to leave the US inside of 6 months or a year.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Socal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond repute

I think your OH needs to be upfront with the company about the financial pressure this is putting you under and get either a written commitment to sort things out and cover costs, or let them know that you will have no choice but to move back.

I am not sure if it is much consolation when you clearly want this move to happen, but if this is the way the employer is going to behave, at least you have found out now whilst the way back is still relatively easily available. The relationship with the employer is absolutely key if you are on L1 and if you are already finding out you can't really trust them I would be very nervous about making a longer term commitment that involves being tied to only being able to work for them in the US.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all for the feedback, I know no-one can do anything and we put ourself in this situation but the thinking with me is well appreciated!

Originally Posted by Socal Local
I think your OH needs to be upfront with the company about the financial pressure this is putting you under and get either a written commitment to sort things out and cover costs, or let them know that you will have no choice but to move back.
That's what i keep telling him to do as well. I even am almost at the point that I want to have a talk with his boss just to know first hand what is going on and why they change their minds all the times...

Originally Posted by Rete
Curious how he "moved" to the US on a B1? What time for departure is written in on his I-94? It is lucky that you can't sell the house because with a B-1 you will probably have to leave the US inside of 6 months or a year.
Well... that's the whole thing. We didn't move as you can't do that on a B1. We are here now for 6 months. The choice was 6 months hotel or 6 months in a home, not a real choice if you ask me. We can't sell our house as we can't put it on the market as we don't have a visa that allows us to stay beyond the 6 months-1 year thing so we can't move (I know, it sounds more complicated then it actually is).

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Absolutely. And I know it sounds unsympathetic, but I find it odd that the husband started work and moved to the US when there was no guarantee that the trailing spouse would get a visa and be able to move over. In these circumstances, I agree with a previous poster in that its time to head back.
To me it does not sound unsympathetic. I agree. It does however have nothing to do with the trailing spouse thing. The company he's working for applied for a H-1b in 2007 and we were not selected in the lottery. After a year working for them in Europe (as they really wanted him they gave him a different position to cover the year), the L-1b was applied for but - unfortunately - messed up. That's when the B1 in lieu of H-1b came into place as they do want to try again for a visa but they are not sure yet if it will be the L-1b again (which we hope for) or another shot at the lottery in April. I, as a trailing spouse, was always included in the visa application. That's also why I'm here now on a B2.

My own conclusion at this time is also to head back, we don't want to but it seems like we don't have a choice here. We still hope that they will finally give us some answers and hopefully see that their original promise to pay for the expenses here are the humane thing to do but being realistic.... I don't count on anything any more
Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:09 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

I think in your situation, I'd seriously be thinking about moving back, you said the house there isn't sold back there, you're struggling financially at the moment trying to maintain two lives in two countries and you're not happy with the thought of what might happen here eventually? Ok so what's the big attraction to staying?
Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by englishinfl
I think in your situation, I'd seriously be thinking about moving back, you said the house there isn't sold back there, you're struggling financially at the moment trying to maintain two lives in two countries and you're not happy with the thought of what might happen here eventually? Ok so what's the big attraction to staying?
I think I might have used some wrong words to make clear how I feel. I would love to stay here and so does my husband. The only thing back in Europe keeping us there is our home. We love the life we have here, the house we're renting, the neighbourhood and the neighbours. My husband loves his job. It's just does other things.... the visa that keeps on being a pain, the company going back on promisses (partially due to the crisis but still..). Going back also means no job for my husband and myself as I let my business slide (and its not such a great time to start again in the travel agent business) so still a financial mess (although we would not be paying rent in the Us and a mortgage in Europe).

But to cut it short: we are very seriously thinking of quiting here and start again in Europe. At least we have a home to go back to and maybe we will even find new jobs.....
Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:37 pm
Account Closed

Unless you get a L2 you will not be working in the US for some time.

Perhaps your timeline might be influenced by how long they $10,000 lasts?
Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:50 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by memiek
But to cut it short: we are very seriously thinking of quiting here and start again in Europe. At least we have a home to go back to and maybe we will even find new jobs.....
It's all about being happy isn't it?
Personally if I had only been here a few months and was struggling like you are, and having such an uncertain future, I don't know that I'd want the hassle of it. In fact, I know wouldn't.
Got to face up to things eventually, and work out whether it's all worth it, both emotionally and financially, just to try and go through the whole immigration process to settle in a new country.
Nothing is ever guaranteed, is it?
Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
Unless you get a L2 you will not be working in the US for some time.

Perhaps your timeline might be influenced by how long they $10,000 lasts?
Hi Boiler,

Yeah... one of the other downsides of all of this. We absolutely want the L1 for my husband so that I can get a job as well. I still don't think I will ever get used to the idea of being the "missus at home" with nothing else to do then to lean (not really my thing) or to gossip or to do just nothing besides form reading good books,

The 10.000 will not last long, just for a month or two more and then its finished.

I see it a lot more cheerful now though. The sun is shining, it's about 75 degrees out here, the birds are singing, I have seen two deer in the backyard this morning and I just know that hubby is coming home with good news, just has to. The day is too good for bad news

(have stop stop moaning and start seeing it from the bright sight again)
Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by englishinfl
It's all about being happy isn't it?
Nothing is ever guaranteed, is it?
That's it exactly! There are no guarantees in life so you take it as it comes by and try to make it better where possible. So, no more moaning and feeling sorry for myself, it's time to make the best of the situation we're in now and no matter what the outcome will be, we will make a good life for ourselves again, I'm sure of that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.