Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Going back home for a week - what COVID tests do I need?

Going back home for a week - what COVID tests do I need?

Old Sep 7th 2021, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

Ksmith1066 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Going back home for a week - what COVID tests do I need?

Hi folks,

Now the UK have opened up the borders for us to visit again I have booked a trip to see my parents after not seeing them for 2 years. We go the week of Thanksgiving and I am finding it almost impossible to decipher the rules on what tests I need in order to travel to the UK and what I need to travel back. My whole family is fully vaccinated and we will be traveling on the 19th (arriving on the 20th) then flying home to the US on the 28th. We are Green Card holders. Please, please, please can someone break it down for me as if I was a five year old, including what tests I need, when and how much they cost. At this point it seems almost impossible so don’t know why they bothered to say the borders were open! I know flights are happening to the UK so it must be able to be done! Thanks again!
Old Sep 8th 2021, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going back home for a week - what COVID tests do I need?

You need:

A pre-departure test no more than 3 days before your flight to the UK - I used a CVS rapid test for this (free)
A completed passenger locator form - https://www.gov.uk/provide-journey-c...fore-travel-uk
A day 2 PCR test that you have to complete when you arrive in the UK - I used Randox sent to my in-laws house which worked fine (I think it was 43 quid per person with a discount code floating around) but there may be other options, YMMV - there is a list on gov.uk of the acceptable providers
A test to board your return flight to the USA, again no more than 3 days before - I used the BinaxHome self test kit which you conduct via video from emed.com, $150 for a pack of 6 tests

It's not that difficult when you get your head around it.
Old Sep 8th 2021, 2:35 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olly_
You need:

A pre-departure test no more than 3 days before your flight to the UK - I used a CVS rapid test for this (free)
A completed passenger locator form - https://www.gov.uk/provide-journey-c...fore-travel-uk
A day 2 PCR test that you have to complete when you arrive in the UK - I used Randox sent to my in-laws house which worked fine (I think it was 43 quid per person with a discount code floating around) but there may be other options, YMMV - there is a list on gov.uk of the acceptable providers
A test to board your return flight to the USA, again no more than 3 days before - I used the BinaxHome self test kit which you conduct via video from emed.com, $150 for a pack of 6 tests

That actually does sound difficult to me!
Old Sep 8th 2021, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
That actually does sound difficult to me!
It all sounded too much for me as well when I went in July and I also had quarantine rules to deal with!

Keep asking questions and start getting organized and you'll be fine, I got good advice from here
Old Sep 8th 2021, 12:34 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Great thread, this is helpful. My problem is I find booking and flying stressful in the best of times…
Old Sep 10th 2021, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

This is great information, thank you so much. I presume the BinaxHome self test kit is one you get delivered to you in the US before you leave and take it with you? Are these all Antigen tests? That's the thing that is getting so confusing is that the names and requirements are all named something different.
Old Sep 10th 2021, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

You need:

A completed passenger locator form

This is great information, thank you! Did you order the BinaxHome kits before you left for the UK or did you get them delivered to the address in the UK you were staying? Are all of these classed as Anitgen tests? This is what I am finding most confusing is all the different types of tests and which ones are acceptable as everyone seems to call them something different! Thanks again!
Old Sep 10th 2021, 12:51 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

You need:

This is NOW, who knows what it will be next week. Good Luck
Old Sep 10th 2021, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Arrived London yesterday morning from the US. flew United from DC, flight was about 2/3 full.

ordered test kit from Azova a couple of weeks ago. It has two Ellume COVID 19 tests, one to be taken before going to the UK and one for the return to the US. The test have to be done via video observation, which is what Azova does. Also includes the day 2 test you have to take once you arrive in the UK, which you then drop in the mail. The kit cost $189. There are cheaper options, including free ones at local CVS/Walgreens etc for the pre departure to the UK, but where I live you can never book one, there are none available and I didn’t want to risk it as I got close to departure date. This seemed like a convenient kit as it just included the tests I needed. They did actually include a third Ellume test in the box as a backup.

had to download apps from both Azova and Ellume. Then create account with Azova and schedule the video observation for 72 hours before the departure flight. Whole process was straight forward, video observation call worked fine, the person walks you through the steps of taking the Ellume test, and there is a video you can watch in advance as well. Test was done within 15 minutes and got a negative result from the Ellume app. About a hour later I got a PDF document from Azova confirming the result and that it was taken under observation. This PDF was what was needed for the airline.

48 hours before I completed the UK passenger locator form. That was very easier, did have to create an account for that as well, you can do that in advance, but you cannot complete the locator form until 48 hours before arrival into the UK. End result is a completed form you download and print.

Last step was checkin with United. Had to upload the negative test result PDF, usual passport information and I think proof of vaccine ( that step I cannot fully recall if I had to or not). The Uk passenger locator form requires you to declare that you meet the UK criteria for not needing to quarantine when arriving from an Amber couuntry and details of where you will be staying during first 10 days. The form was very easy to fill in, nothing complex or confusing. This form cannot be uploaded to the United site, need to print and take with me.

At the airport checkin I needed passport and the UK passenger locator form. Checkin agent checked the form and gave me back the print out. They did not ask for negative test result or vaccine card. That was it for checkin.

On arrived the UK I used my UK passport to go through the e-gates. Didn't speak to anyone, didn't have to show any other documents.

That was all, now in the UK. Will do the day 2 test today and send it off.

Old Sep 10th 2021, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ksmith1066
This is great information, thank you! Did you order the BinaxHome kits before you left for the UK or did you get them delivered to the address in the UK you were staying? Are all of these classed as Anitgen tests? This is what I am finding most confusing is all the different types of tests and which ones are acceptable as everyone seems to call them something different! Thanks again!
You get the BinaxHome test while you're still in the USA and take it with you - they don't ship outside the country. Yes they are antigen tests, the other type of test is a PCR test but the UK and US don't require one of those to board a flight. The day 2 test you do in the UK is a PCR test.
Old Sep 10th 2021, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mercury39
Arrived London yesterday morning from the US. flew United from DC, flight was about 2/3 full.

ordered test kit from Azova a couple of weeks ago. It has two Ellume COVID 19 tests, one to be taken before going to the UK and one for the return to the US. The test have to be done via video observation, which is what Azova does. Also includes the day 2 test you have to take once you arrive in the UK, which you then drop in the mail. The kit cost $189. There are cheaper options, including free ones at local CVS/Walgreens etc for the pre departure to the UK, but where I live you can never book one, there are none available and I didn’t want to risk it as I got close to departure date. This seemed like a convenient kit as it just included the tests I needed. They did actually include a third Ellume test in the box as a backup.

had to download apps from both Azova and Ellume. Then create account with Azova and schedule the video observation for 72 hours before the departure flight. Whole process was straight forward, video observation call worked fine, the person walks you through the steps of taking the Ellume test, and there is a video you can watch in advance as well. Test was done within 15 minutes and got a negative result from the Ellume app. About a hour later I got a PDF document from Azova confirming the result and that it was taken under observation. This PDF was what was needed for the airline.

48 hours before I completed the UK passenger locator form. That was very easier, did have to create an account for that as well, you can do that in advance, but you cannot complete the locator form until 48 hours before arrival into the UK. End result is a completed form you download and print.

Last step was checkin with United. Had to upload the negative test result PDF, usual passport information and I think proof of vaccine ( that step I cannot fully recall if I had to or not). The Uk passenger locator form requires you to declare that you meet the UK criteria for not needing to quarantine when arriving from an Amber couuntry and details of where you will be staying during first 10 days. The form was very easy to fill in, nothing complex or confusing. This form cannot be uploaded to the United site, need to print and take with me.

At the airport checkin I needed passport and the UK passenger locator form. Checkin agent checked the form and gave me back the print out. They did not ask for negative test result or vaccine card. That was it for checkin.

On arrived the UK I used my UK passport to go through the e-gates. Didn't speak to anyone, didn't have to show any other documents.

That was all, now in the UK. Will do the day 2 test today and send it off.

Wow, thanks for such a thorough run through - its nice to hear it from someone who has actually just gone through he process as well. Thanks
Old Sep 10th 2021, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

You get the BinaxHome test while you're still in the USA and take it with you - they don't ship outside the country. Yes they are antigen tests, the other type of test is a PCR test but the UK and US don't require one of those to board a flight. The day 2 test you do in the UK is a PCR test.

Great, thanks
Old Sep 13th 2021, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

docpadds is an unknown quantity at this point

You need:

A completed passenger locator form -

I second this, was there from 1st to 10th, and its exactly as listed above.

Old Sep 13th 2021, 10:46 pm
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

It was even more complicated back in July, I made an Excel to log everything. 3 days before leaving for UK I took a PCR test via a local clinic. Day 2 and 8 tests were mailed to my destination in England from Testing for All. Day 5 test was via Collinson at a local airport. And then my predeparture test for the States was via Quered. Definitely a huge undertaking...and unfortunately I also tested positive on Day 5 adding to the fun. (Vaccinated n all.)
Old Sep 16th 2021, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

flyertalk.com has a thread on the coronavirus section related to UK travel, It's kept current and I find it useful....

Here - UK arrivals requirements - pre-departure test, quarantine and post-arrival tests - FlyerTalk Forums

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.