Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

going back home, carry on restrictions

going back home, carry on restrictions

Old Sep 12th 2006, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute
Default going back home, carry on restrictions

so I am going back home (england) for my sister's wedding where I will be the official photographer. I am about to use this as an excuse to invest in a nice new Digital SLR camera. I am a little concerned in shelling out several thousand dollars on new kit if it has to travel in the hold.
After the initial security madness have things died down a bit. Looking at the virgin website it seems that you can take electronics but they are subject to extra checks before you board. Can I assume (with current regulations) that returning from the UK I will be able to bring my camera as carry on luggage?
I guess really I should just phone virgin.. but maybe people here can tell me their experiences. I dont really want to have to buy a big expensive flight case for it.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: going back home, carry on restrictions

Originally Posted by angelman
so I am going back home (england) for my sister's wedding where I will be the official photographer. I am about to use this as an excuse to invest in a nice new Digital SLR camera. I am a little concerned in shelling out several thousand dollars on new kit if it has to travel in the hold.
After the initial security madness have things died down a bit. Looking at the virgin website it seems that you can take electronics but they are subject to extra checks before you board. Can I assume (with current regulations) that returning from the UK I will be able to bring my camera as carry on luggage?
I guess really I should just phone virgin.. but maybe people here can tell me their experiences. I dont really want to have to buy a big expensive flight case for it.
Yes you will be fine - liquids is still the restriction, and the size of the carry on bag has reduced - but you can take on pretty much all electronics now.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
Yes you will be fine - liquids is still the restriction, and the size of the carry on bag has reduced - but you can take on pretty much all electronics now.

Be sure to check with the airline. We were able to keep electronics with us on the flight over, but not on the return with BA about 10 days ago. Phones, laptops, camera, ipod, etc., all in the hold. We could only keep our passports and a magazine.

However, their website now says electronics are ok.

Last edited by jen_andreson; Sep 12th 2006 at 1:00 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 1:26 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: going back home, carry on restrictions

This won't apply to you angleman (I hope!) but when my rellies checked in for a Continental airlines flight last Saturday the lady at check-in said:

1) Solid lipsticks are fine.....lipgloss has to be checked in.

2) No gel-filled bras to be worn by passengers...these bras must go in the checked in baggage.

My friend was in transit at LHR on Sunday morning....she said the queues were a nightmare and v. slow going through security. She was asked to join a queue for secondary screening of her carry on bag and in the confusion walked past it (she wasn't challenged) and went straight to the Molton Brown spa in the BA lounge instead.

On your return journey leave loads of extra time to get through security.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Beer:30 is a jewel in the roughBeer:30 is a jewel in the roughBeer:30 is a jewel in the roughBeer:30 is a jewel in the roughBeer:30 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Englishmum
This won't apply to you angleman (I hope!) but when my rellies checked in for a Continental airlines flight last Saturday the lady at check-in said:

Flew back from Heathrow Sunday and the security was a real hassle.
They confiscated my wifes lipstick (solid) and took a pack of matches from me.
Electronics are fine to bring but your carry on can't be too big.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

well it still sound a little confused but getting better.
one other question. I am taking an internal flight from glasgow to heathrow on my way home. Do you think that since I wll be checking in on an internal flight it wont be quite so bad getting on the plane or is all the queueing and waiting time when you actually pass the check in stage?

Originally Posted by Beer:30
Flew back from Heathrow Sunday and the security was a real hassle.
They confiscated my wifes lipstick (solid) and took a pack of matches from me.
Electronics are fine to bring but your carry on can't be too big.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Beer:30 is a jewel in the roughBeer:30 is a jewel in the roughBeer:30 is a jewel in the roughBeer:30 is a jewel in the roughBeer:30 is a jewel in the rough

one other question. I am taking an internal flight from glasgow to heathrow on my way home. Do you think that since I wll be checking in on an internal flight it wont be quite so bad getting on the plane or is all the queueing and waiting time when you actually pass the check in stage?
Well our trip went like this.
Queue for the security was very long with some twat shouting "keep moving it along, hurry up" not exactly sure what he was on about as there was no where to move.
The queue took us well over an hour and to further frustrate me they finally opened another queue right next to ours (where a man had been sitting at the xray the whole time) just as we got through the magnetometer.
Once we got on the plane and all buckled in we sat at the gate for hours as they waited for "homeland security permission to leave the gate". The engines were off and it was very hot and uncomfortable.
I am not sure how it will go in Glasgow but pray they don't make you go back through security in Heathrow.
Good luck.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 3:28 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

My friend was in transit; she flew on Virgin Atlantic from Newark, NJ to Heathrow then transferred at Heathrow to a Qantas flight to Hong Kong and she had to face all the hassles for checking in (and she hadn't had to re-check her suitcase as it was supposedly checked all the way through). She only had carry-on stuff with her and said loads of people were complaining as they were going to miss their connecting flights.

However, when she arrived in HKG, her suitcase hadn't and she was due to get it delivered directly to her hotel this morning.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 3:38 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

2) No gel-filled bras to be worn by passengers...these bras must go in the checked in baggage.

Never thought about that one...wonder how long it'll be before some TSA Einsterin figures out that some woman could surgically implant a Tit-Bomb. Might get a few more applications for screeners...
Old Sep 12th 2006, 4:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

No gel-filled bras to be worn by passengers...these bras must go in the checked in baggage.

Thanks for that...my daughter's flying home on Friday...I will warn her. Haha just think how embarassing that would be if you had to wizz your bra off.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

you will have secondary screening for the US bound flight - which at the moment is 100% rather than the usual sample. Not sure about LHR but at LGW they have a bizaare system where you have to go through security again!

And at Glasgow the initial security will probably be lengthier than usual as you have to take all electronics out of your bag for screening.

I doing it all tomorrow and the wife did it yesterday!! If its changed in 48 hours I will post back!!
Old Sep 12th 2006, 5:13 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
Never thought about that one...wonder how long it'll be before some TSA Einsterin figures out that some woman could surgically implant a Tit-Bomb. Might get a few more applications for screeners...
My wife (being Chinese) has gel implants! Ill check them when she gets home :-)
Old Sep 12th 2006, 7:08 pm

Wink Re: going back home, carry on restrictions

Actually a great website to post your question is the 'Travelbuzz' section of

http://www.flyertalk.com (may have to register to post)

The forums have a high daily turnover and postings are mainly from frequent flyers, airline and airport staff from around the world.

Someone posted an amusing link here.....you can see what dinner/meals you're likely to get on your flight (has most airlines here too):

http://www.airlinemeals.net

(Can you imagine people actually sitting in their seat taking a photo of their airline meal? Obviously a lot of passengers do and post it on that website along with a comment on what they liked or found unpalatable LOL!)

Last edited by Englishmum; Sep 12th 2006 at 7:10 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 4:35 pm

Lightbulb Re: going back home, carry on restrictions

It looks like the restrictions may be relaxed in the UK from next week:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006420478,00.html
Old Sep 15th 2006, 3:38 pm

Exclamation Re: going back home, carry on restrictions

The very latest TSA regulations are listed here:

http://www.travelersaid.org/ (click on the large red box)

It's interesting to see that one can now wear a gel-filled bra for 'prosthetic/medical reasons' only.......