Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

God Bless Target

God Bless Target

Old Mar 3rd 2005, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: God Bless Target

Well I can only tell you Neil that they taste exactly like the English ones and the chocolate did not taste like the Cadbury's chocolate that is made here.

I have my mum bringing a suitcase full of all manner of chocolate eggs over in April so I'll do a taste test then - but, I've eaten quite a few of them now and they do taste exactly as I remember.

Last edited by snorkmaiden; Mar 3rd 2005 at 2:23 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Right, in the interest of the health of my chocolate loving friends I had my mother read me the Ingredients list for the English Creme Eggs she already has in her suitcase out to me over the phone.

The difference is - theirs says Glucose Syrup and the ones at Target say Corn Syrup. The Englush ones also specify the E numbers and the sugar percentages whereas the American one just says Sugar - no percentages.

According to the FDA - corn syrup is defined as dried Glucose syrup but - apparently, Corn Syrup is not easy to get in Europe and I wonder if on the label they have written Corn Syrup as that is more familiar terminology or - if Cadbury's have had Corn Syrup shipped in especially for the manafacturing of the eggs for America which would seem like a lot of effort to go to.

Glucose syrup apparently more commonly comes from Wheat, Honey and Grapes in Europe.

Either way the evil corn syrup is in everything known to man here and I'm going to risk it until the British alternatives arrive cos I love em
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 9:19 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
Right, in the interest of the health of my chocolate loving friends I had my mother read me the Ingredients list for the English Creme Eggs she already has in her suitcase out to me over the phone.

The difference is - theirs says Glucose Syrup and the ones at Target say Corn Syrup. The Englush ones also specify the E numbers and the sugar percentages whereas the American one just says Sugar - no percentages.

According to the FDA - corn syrup is defined as dried Glucose syrup but - apparently, Corn Syrup is not easy to get in Europe and I wonder if on the label they have written Corn Syrup as that is more familiar terminology or - if Cadbury's have had Corn Syrup shipped in especially for the manafacturing of the eggs for America which would seem like a lot of effort to go to.

Glucose syrup apparently more commonly comes from Wheat, Honey and Grapes in Europe.

Either way the evil corn syrup is in everything known to man here and I'm going to risk it until the British alternatives arrive cos I love em
Thanks for the information - perhaps it's not so different in this case. I did once find Toblerone imported by two different companies - one said corn syrup, the other said glucose syrup and there was a definite, but not great, difference in taste. Therefore I try to avoid chocolate that says corn syrup on it. Maybe you're right and they're just using that terminology. I hope so!
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 9:26 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
Thanks for the information - perhaps it's not so different in this case. I did once find Toblerone imported by two different companies - one said corn syrup, the other said glucose syrup and there was a definite, but not great, difference in taste. Therefore I try to avoid chocolate that says corn syrup on it. Maybe you're right and they're just using that terminology. I hope so!
yeah i wouldn't worry about it...some good advice for you though....avoid any chocolate that has the name Herseys on it!
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

TheWilliamsons is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
yeah i wouldn't worry about it...some good advice for you though....avoid any chocolate that has the name Herseys on it!
Sorry to change the subject but can any one help with the great british banger. My son eats very little but his main food is sausages but some of the olde english shops we have found that sell sausages sell them for $8 for 6 ouch. So was wondering as you are all more wordly wise then me if you new of any cheaper ones or a way of getting. Thanks
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 10:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheWilliamsons
Sorry to change the subject but can any one help with the great british banger. My son eats very little but his main food is sausages but some of the olde english shops we have found that sell sausages sell them for $8 for 6 ouch. So was wondering as you are all more wordly wise then me if you new of any cheaper ones or a way of getting. Thanks
health food stores....though not cheap...NC Penguin had a good link in one of these food threads about a mail order place....jimmy dean sausages ain't to bad either.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 1:08 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheWilliamsons
If you want British style sausages, it'll cost you a pretty penny.

It's not clear where you live but if there are Whole Foods healthfood stores in your area, try and track down their "Irish Bangers". They're made fresh (in the stores?) and can be found displayed at the meat counter.

Otherwise, there's Williams for sausages, bacon and other pork products. The business is run by a British couple who emigrated to the US and they are based in Lumberton, NC.

I personally don't think much of their sausages (think 80s sausages but I expect your son will like them) but their bacon is wonderful. Pork for roasting is good too but the bacon's their outstanding product.

NC Penguin
Old Mar 4th 2005, 2:32 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
It's not clear where you live but if there are Whole Foods healthfood stores in your area, try and track down their "Irish Bangers". They're made fresh (in the stores?) and can be found displayed at the meat counter.
They're pretty decent, but you would be well advised to boil some of the salt out of those bad boys before you toss them in the frying pan.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just an update for the Creme Egg lovers.

Target now have an offer on - 3 boxes (four eggs in a box) for $4 on both the Creme Eggs and the Caramel Eggs. That's a saving of $1.67 (Previously $1.89 per box) and was enough to send my husband into a Creme Egg buying frenzy
Old Mar 13th 2005, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I've now found that pretty much every store is selling the eggs, because I am finding them everywhere.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

Just an update for the Creme Egg lovers.

Target now have an offer on - 3 boxes (four eggs in a box) for $4 on both the Creme Eggs and the Caramel Eggs. That's a saving of $1.67 (Previously $1.89 per box) and was enough to send my husband into a Creme Egg buying frenzy
checked with my local Target yesterday found both the creme eggs and caramel ones, but the were made by Hershey
Old Mar 14th 2005, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sentosa
checked with my local Target yesterday found both the creme eggs and caramel ones, but the were made by Hershey
Did you check the back of the box? It says or should say, manafactured in England for Hersheys.

As pimpbot mentioned they are popping up all over now, I am finding that the eggs in the boxes of four are fresher than the individual eggs. I originally thought that the individual eggs were made using American chocolate as some of them tasted funny but now I just think they were stale.

If the egg cracks slightly and the fondant comes out making the wrapper sticky and hard to get off there is a good chance you will have a stale one.

I've been doing extensive research I'm going to have to go into Creme Egg rehab soon
Old Mar 14th 2005, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

Did you check the back of the box? It says or should say, manafactured in England for Hersheys.

As pimpbot mentioned they are popping up all over now, I am finding that the eggs in the boxes of four are fresher than the individual eggs. I originally thought that the individual eggs were made using American chocolate as some of them tasted funny but now I just think they were stale.

If the egg cracks slightly and the fondant comes out making the wrapper sticky and hard to get off there is a good chance you will have a stale one.

I've been doing extensive research I'm going to have to go into Creme Egg rehab soon
thanks for info I will check again I'll probably try them anyway I know World Markets sell them but expensive.Keep up the good work