Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Go & See This Lovely English Movie....

Go & See This Lovely English Movie....

Old Dec 4th 2005, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Go & See This Lovely English Movie....

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I've never seen the BBC version (6 hours long! ) as I was living in Singapore when it was transmitted and as far as I recall it was never shown on Singaporean television.
You have to see the BBC version it's amazing. Well worth the investment.

You don't actually have to watch the whole six hours in one stretch although my daughters and I often have a bit of an Austen marathon and watch Pride and Prejudice followed by Sense and Sensibility.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 5:53 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Just saw it yesterday.... made me "homesick" for Derbyshire where my ancestors lived. The cinematography is beautiful, though there are some jumpy cuts to focus in on individual faces at times.

Hmmm....

I think that the film did a very good job of de-romanticising the story and showing it as it would have been in Austen's day.... the reality of country life and animals and filth. It also painted more starkly the ugly reality of girls having to marry well and just how stupid a cow Mrs Bennet is.

However, Austen meant the account to be romanticised and harsh realities stated more subtly; and six hours is a more reasonable amount of time to devote to the tale. Also, much as I love Matthew MacFayden in Spooks, his Darcy, while suitably remote, doesn't hold a candle to Colin Firth's performance. Patrick, your wife is safe from any horn.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 8:19 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
.... I really enjoyed this movie too, more so than 'Emma' with Gwyneth Paltrow.
Wholeheartedly agree. I think Gwyneth Paltrow must take acting lessons from Keanu Reeve.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 10:14 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Wholeheartedly agree. I think Gwyneth Paltrow must take acting lessons from Keanu Reeve.
Deffo a better movie than _Emma_ but IMHO not quite as good as the documentary. Still, a fair take given the much shorter running time.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 2:15 pm
pharrya's troublen strife

ms_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant future

Christopher Plummer??? Erm, the verison I saw had Donald Sutherland as the family patriarch...

I did like the movie, but I'm a real sucker for chick flicks.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ms_bhon
Christopher Plummer??? Erm, the verison I saw had Donald Sutherland as the family patriarch...

I did like the movie, but I'm a real sucker for chick flicks.
Like Chicken Little?
Old Dec 5th 2005, 3:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Celsius
Like Chicken Little?
You can get the TV DVD from Amazon for half the BBCAmerica price, I have one on its way as the wife had not seen it.

I was slightly disappointed in the end, prefered the BBC version, but excellent.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 3:51 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
You can get the TV DVD from Amazon for half the BBCAmerica price, I have one on its way as the wife had not seen it.

I was slightly disappointed in the end, prefered the BBC version, but excellent.
You do know the ending is different for the american market than the rest of world! The rest of world gets the book ending but this was not light and fluffy enough for the american audiences so they made it more Hollywood. Thank god there are people out there who can make decisions for us, cos if wanted the actuall ending we would read the ****** book and not spend $12 going to the cinema!
Old Dec 5th 2005, 4:05 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Read a very bizarre news item relating to the film a while ago, it was via Digital Spy:
An American Jane Austen group have stated that they are none too impressed with the recent movie adaptation of classic novel Pride and Prejudice.

Although the Jane Austen Society in North America had been looking forward to a special screening of the film at their annual convention, they have since decided against the idea after discovering that the picture fails to do justice to the novel, claiming that the filmmakers are more interested in sexual imagery than romance.

IMDB.com quote president Joan Klingel Ray as saying: "The film is full of sexual imagery which is totally inappropriate to Austen's novel. In one scene, a wild boar, which I assume is supposed to represent Darcy, wobbles through the farm with its sexual equipment on show."
Full story: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds26299.html
Okaaaay....
*slowly steps back*

But if you want to see a better version (apart from the BBC one of course) then rent out Bride and Prejudice.
Darcy goes to Bollywood.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 8:18 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Webbie
Read a very bizarre news item relating to the film a while ago, it was via Digital Spy:
Full story: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds26299.html
Okaaaay....
*slowly steps back*

But if you want to see a better version (apart from the BBC one of course) then rent out Bride and Prejudice.
Darcy goes to Bollywood.
Hmmm...I didn't think Bride and Prejudice was very good! I haven't seen the new pride and prejudice but the BBC one is fantastic!
Old Dec 10th 2005, 3:30 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Thought I'd bump this up and say that I just watched the DVD of "North & South" (no, not the Patrick Swayze US Civil War one).

It's based in "Milton" oop north, good old tale of muck and brass in a Victorian cotton mill town. Great feel for the gritty way of life, social issues of the times related to living and working conditions, unionization, etc.

And for you chick flick lovers, a story line similar to Pride and Prejudice (which is why I bumped this up). Fair brought tears to me eyes it did when the hero and heroine ..... no, I won't spoil it for you.