Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

GM to cut 30,000 US jobs

GM to cut 30,000 US jobs

Old Nov 22nd 2005, 1:56 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GM to cut 30,000 US jobs

Originally Posted by Terrier
No it is easy for US management workers to work in Mexico, say it myself. Trip over the to Mexico 10mins trip back 1 hour, why? All the US managers who live in El Paso, getting US wages. China is too far away, Mexico is where manufacturing will be, close the border.
There already is a vast amount of sourcing in China, mostly of non-saftey commodity buy (grey iron rotors, discs engine blocks...) in my industry and others. I imagine most saftey parts will stay in the US or Mexico, as will products subject to much change (engineering changes are a nightmare with 2 mo. transport times.

As to managers working in Mexico.. very few. I speak fluent Spanish and in my industry there is a vast amount of outsourcing to MX, but I have never been offered a job. Why should they pay me $75k when they can get 4-5 locals with masters in Mech Engineering for the same price?
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

A good friend of our family has just gotten caught up in the GM downsizing, hes Russian, originally came over on a hockey scolarship, finished college and started work for GM. Hes worked for GM for nearly 12 years now on work based visas so has never bothered with the citizenship side of things. Hes now facing being sent back to Russia after spending nearly half his life in the US and its just not fair !!!

Jan
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 2:05 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
A good friend of our family has just gotten caught up in the GM downsizing, hes Russian, originally came over on a hockey scolarship, finished college and started work for GM. Hes worked for GM for nearly 12 years now on work based visas so has never bothered with the citizenship side of things. Hes now facing being sent back to Russia after spending nearly half his life in the US and its just not fair !!!

Jan
He'd have to be a permanent resident to get citizenship.
If he's a permanent residnet, then he cannot get sent back to Russia.
I presume he's just on a H1-b therefore it's not a case of not bothering with citizenship, it's a case of not being eligible for citizenship.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: GM to cut 30,000 US jobs

I think you hit the nail on the head there frrussre. It is all about the attitude of the auto companies.

GM & Ford started using plastic intake manifold gaskets in 1995. The problems start surfacing about the 50k mile mark although some have been as little as 25k. What do they do? Nothing. It's not unknown for the engine to blow up as a result. Tough luck say Ford & GM.

There's no excuse for a shoddy design. Any modern engine should easily exceed 100k with regular maintainence. Go down to your local junkyard and you'll see 100's of mid-late 90s model Ford's and GM's.

I'm amazed to find a 1991 Honda Accord can still sell for about $2000!
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Worth checking the VIN on the dealer's lot. First character '1' for USA, '2' for Canada, '3' for Mexico, 'J' for Japan, 'W' for Germany. Easier than trying to research where it came from. If you get a VW, make sure it's a W and not a 3.

As for GM, can't say I'm a big fan. Rented a Monte Carlo once - nice engine, but a heavy beast of a car. Doors almost broke my legs when I opened them on a hill. At work I have a 6 cyl Chevy S-10. Worst truck in the world. I can say with authority that my 4 cyl Civic is faster than that 6. WTF!!!

So GM cutting jobs was inevitable. They've also reverted to the employee discounts after saying they were giving them up. I don't think it'll be Mexico for long - China is on a path to put the whole world out of business.
I have leased 2 brand new Honda Accords, both made in USA. Both excellent, changed the oil & gave them back. Never even changed a bulb. Big difference, Japanese design & Japanese controlled. Would not be surprised to find out, that they never employed an EX Ford/GM workers at their plants.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 2:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
He'd have to be a permanent resident to get citizenship.
If he's a permanent residnet, then he cannot get sent back to Russia.
I presume he's just on a H1-b therefore it's not a case of not bothering with citizenship, it's a case of not being eligible for citizenship.
But for 12 years?

He would have to have been here for 6+1, gone back for a year and come back in on another one.

Makes no sense.

Mind you a near neighbour who has been here 15 years only naturalised last year, and that was only after he found out how at risk he was as a Permanent Resident compared to a Citizen.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 2:56 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
Hes worked for GM for nearly 12 years now on work based visas so has never bothered with the citizenship side of things. Hes now facing being sent back to Russia after spending nearly half his life in the US and its just not fair !!!

Not fair?

IF he could have got permanent residency or citizenship and just didn't because he was lazy is, hes only got himself to blame.

If on the other hand he just thought he had a job for life then he is naive
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 3:35 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
But for 12 years?

He would have to have been here for 6+1, gone back for a year and come back in on another one.

Makes no sense.
I thought six was the lifetime limit. Either way, since he could have had one year OPT and not be eligible for L, either he already has a GC or he's here illegally.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 4:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
I thought six was the lifetime limit. Either way, since he could have had one year OPT and not be eligible for L, either he already has a GC or he's here illegally.
6 plus a year extension....and after a year back in home country, i'm pretty sure it is home country not just out of the US, but anyway, after a year, can apply for another H1B...