Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

GM to cut 30,000 US jobs

Wikiposts

GM to cut 30,000 US jobs

Old Nov 21st 2005, 9:01 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GM to cut 30,000 US jobs

Originally Posted by jamjar
Guilty as charged. We own a ford and a Dodge. But hey isn't Dodge owned by Daimler/Chrysler?? So maybe that doesn't count.

And what exactly is American made or not? I work in the auto industry and I doubt it's even possible to determine the 'American" content... one example: GM uses a control arm on a car built in the USA. That control arm was assembled into a corner assy in Ohio, had been machined in Mexico, from steel made in China and forged in India then heat treated in Korea. The scrap for the Chineese steel came from Germany and USA. How much is from where?
Old Nov 21st 2005, 9:03 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
And what exactly is American made or not? I work in the auto industry and I doubt it's even possible to determine the 'American" content... one example: GM uses a control arm on a car built in the USA. That control arm was assembled into a corner assy in Ohio, had been machined in Mexico, from steel made in China and forged in India then heat treated in Korea. The scrap for the Chineese steel came from Germany and USA. How much is from where?

I think we're referring more to the technical expertise and the sophistication of the design.

Buick anyone?
Old Nov 21st 2005, 9:14 am
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Big D
I have the Durango and LOVE it!
Yip, wifey has a Dodge Durango - just 200 miles on the clock. She loves it. And t'other car is a Ford.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Schnorbitz
Yip, wifey has a Dodge Durango - just 200 miles on the clock. She loves it. And t'other car is a Ford.

Put 25k on ours in under a year and touch wood no problems apart from a broken windscreen - which is hardly related to the car!

Watch the bloody thing break down now!!
Old Nov 21st 2005, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Brit,

We had a Chevy Malibu too. I had one as a rental car on a business trip, and thought it wasn't too bad. So a few months later we bought an ex-rental from Hertz. My wife used it, I stayed with our 1989 Acura Integra.

The car wasn't bad, and had a bit of poke. The only mechanical problem we had was the AC control panel died (you couldn't turn on the AC) and it had to be replaced - a common problem apparently.

Anyway, about 12 months later my wife had an accident on the way to work. She aquaplaned on the freeway and wrote off the car - fortunately she wasn't hurt, and no-one else was involved.

In hindsight, it was probably the best thing to happen to the Malibu. As a replacement we upgraded a bit and bought a Lexus RX300 and haven't looked back.

Funny how you can still buy the old Malibu (the Classic) now they've introduced a replacement. But that's GM for you!

Funny how I've formed the opinion that GM vehicles are pretty crap over here, yet I think the Vauxhall Vectra isn't half bad in the UK.

Originally Posted by Brit3964
Hardly much to wonder about. I had a POS Chevy Malibu (I think they must have been drunk when they designed it!) and that turned out to be the worst car I've ever owned. Even worse than the "good old days" of BL in UK.

No suprise I now have a 2005 Honda Accord Coupe built in Marysville, OH. Much better!

A friend of mine's 1999 Ford Taurus stationwagon just blew up. Putting plastic manifold gaskets in a metal engine is not good idea (btw, the Malibu had the same problem).
Old Nov 21st 2005, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

The Vibe is built just down the road from me, in Fremont. Its built at the NUMMI factory - a joint venture between GM and Toyota. http://www.nummi.com

Originally Posted by elfman
kind of... Volvo Cars have been owned by Ford since 1999.

We are the "proud" owners of an American car and a GM one to boot: I drive a Pontiac Vibe, but only because it's basically a Toyota Matrix with different styling.

Incidentally the worst car I have ever owned by quite some distance was a Citroen ZX.
Pile. of. Crap.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevntrace
Hey Brit,

Funny how I've formed the opinion that GM vehicles are pretty crap over here, yet I think the Vauxhall Vectra isn't half bad in the UK.

Come on - might be reliable but the dullest car in the world and terrible to drive...
Old Nov 21st 2005, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, Jeremy Didn't say I had any class!

Originally Posted by Big D
Come on - might be reliable but the dullest car in the world and terrible to drive...
Old Nov 21st 2005, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I don't suppose it dawned on them to ahem.......make better cars?
Manc.
You took the words out of my mouth. GM, Ford, Chysler when will they get it.
We get it, why can't they.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I see a poll coming on - how many BE US residents own American cars?
Me, Ford Explorer XLT V8 2004. Piece of crap. Just sent Dealer & FMC a Lemonise Certified letter. 20 days to fix all the problems. They have attempted to fix whining/whistling back Axle 5 times. They have attempted to Auto tranny 4 times. A/C 4 times.
Never again. Japanese or German for me.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: GM to cut 30,000 US jobs

Kevntrace:

As you say, was probably the best thing that happened to ya. Dunno what was classic about it? Classic disaster, mistake, design??

Yes I had the a/c heater control panel problem too. Bet the Lexus is a bit different?
Old Nov 21st 2005, 11:14 am
Banned

Terrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to behold

I work for Delphi, yeah I know!

IMHO manufacturing in the US will be dead in 10 years, I don't think it will go to China, I went to Mexico to a Delphi plant, super efficient. Workers in Mexico Delphi, $4 max, workers in Delphi USA $27. Same quality......... no union. NOt really much we can do.

I am looking to get out of manufacturing, and am looking to buy some service industry franchise.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 11:20 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I think we're referring more to the technical expertise and the sophistication of the design.

Buick anyone?
though some of the major car makers design studios are such a mix of nationalities that you cant even pinpoint the design origins down, lets just say 'Made on Earth'

Ant
Old Nov 21st 2005, 11:25 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Terrier
I work for Delphi, yeah I know!

IMHO manufacturing in the US will be dead in 10 years, I don't think it will go to China, I went to Mexico to a Delphi plant, super efficient. Workers in Mexico Delphi, $4 max, workers in Delphi USA $27. Same quality......... no union. NOt really much we can do.

I am looking to get out of manufacturing, and am looking to buy some service industry franchise.
If they are paying $4 at a Mexican machiladora then the prevailing wage in China is probably less than a buck :scared: Many US companies test the water in Mexico which is a similar culture to the US, before making the full transition to manufacture in China :scared:
Old Nov 21st 2005, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by frrussre
Me, Ford Explorer XLT V8 2004. Piece of crap. Just sent Dealer & FMC a Lemonise Certified letter. 20 days to fix all the problems. They have attempted to fix whining/whistling back Axle 5 times. They have attempted to Auto tranny 4 times. A/C 4 times.
Never again. Japanese or German for me.
Reg. Frank R.

careful with the German - a lot of the US ones are made in Mexico and so a certain make/family has reliability issues here that would surprise owners in Europe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.