Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Global Satellite

Global Satellite

Old Sep 16th 2003, 2:57 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough
Default Global Satellite

Back home, we had a nice mix of British/American tv programs. Even Australian. After being in the US for four years, my son and I are rather longing for a little variety in our tv programs. I have had some success buying "Inspector Morse" "'Allo 'Allo" and such on the Internet but the choice is somewhat limited.
We have both been looking into purchasing some sort of satellite dish which will enable us to watch British tv and hopefully Canadian or even Australian channels. Sounds like a tall order but actually I would settle for just British tv. Has
anyone on this forum had any luck? I should mention that we live on the west coast of the US. Washington State to be exact. Thanks in advance for any input
Ranjini
Old Sep 17th 2003, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Global Satellite

Originally posted by Ranjini
Back home, we had a nice mix of British/American tv programs. Even Australian. After being in the US for four years, my son and I are rather longing for a little variety in our tv programs. I have had some success buying "Inspector Morse" "'Allo 'Allo" and such on the Internet but the choice is somewhat limited.
We have both been looking into purchasing some sort of satellite dish which will enable us to watch British tv and hopefully Canadian or even Australian channels. Sounds like a tall order but actually I would settle for just British tv. Has
anyone on this forum had any luck? I should mention that we live on the west coast of the US. Washington State to be exact. Thanks in advance for any input
Ranjini
I have charter communications digital cable. As far as british programming, it has BBC America and a Fox Sports channel plays Sky Sports News programming segment and some soccer. So it is relatively devoid of british programming. I wish we could get Sky here in America. It seems much more multi-cultural and the BBC news, ITN, skynews and such look more informative. All we get here is about 15 pro-America corporate news networks that don't have a global focus. The local news is also crap.

Last edited by jaytee; Sep 17th 2003 at 7:21 am.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 12:25 pm
Banned

Originally posted by jaytee
I have charter communications digital cable. As far as british programming, it has BBC America and a Fox Sports channel plays Sky Sports News programming segment and some soccer. So it is relatively devoid of british programming. I wish we could get Sky here in America. It seems much more multi-cultural and the BBC news, ITN, skynews and such look more informative. All we get here is about 15 pro-America corporate news networks that don't have a global focus. The local news is also crap.
We have Directv which provides a similar service. We were thinking more on the lines of a free to air service that picks up tv channels beamed direct from the UK. BBC America is a load of crap. Ground Force and Changing Rooms ??
Old Sep 17th 2003, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Ranjini
May help http://www.lyngsat.com/
Old Sep 17th 2003, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

We have Directv which provides a similar service. We were thinking more on the lines of a free to air service that picks up tv channels beamed direct from the UK. BBC America is a load of crap. Ground Force and Changing Rooms ??
The European satellites serve only some of Europe at the moment, according to a website about Sky. On a separate note, there is the Echostar II satellite coverage of North America with more diverse channels which I think is available through DirectTV (although they offer Asian and Arab viewing package, does not have a British programming package according to website)

BBC America is crap most of the time. I try to catch the BBC world news live from London which seems to be a version put together for America. Ground Force.. I liked the American episodes. The BBC programs tend to have a filtered community-oriented theme which is boring.

Last edited by jaytee; Sep 17th 2003 at 2:34 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 2:52 pm
Banned

Originally posted by jaytee
The European satellites serve only some of Europe at the moment, according to a website about Sky. On a separate note, there is the Echostar II satellite coverage of North America with more diverse channels which I think is available through DirectTV (although they offer Asian and Arab viewing package, does not have a British programming package according to website)

BBC America is crap most of the time. I try to catch the BBC world news live from London which seems to be a version put together for America. Ground Force.. I liked the American episodes. The BBC programs tend to have a filtered community-oriented theme which is boring.
Dishtv appears to have Echostar II but no links to UK tv. I found links to Canadian tv on the link you gave me before. Still looking..
Thanks