British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Global entry w/ conviction in UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/global-entry-w-conviction-uk-895588/)

Bearcub Apr 18th 2017 4:58 pm

Global entry w/ conviction in UK

Hi Everyone,

My husband is a LPR in the US and has a clean record here. However, he did have a DUI in the UK for which he was convicted for and lost his license for a year. Prior to moving to the US, he regained his license and was back in good standing. He is ex military in the UK.

We wanted to apply for Global Entry and I understand that any convictions can be used as a reason to reject the application. Does this also include the said conviction in the UK? If so, that stinks. :unsure:

Orangepants Apr 18th 2017 5:29 pm

Re: Global entry w/ conviction in UK

Originally Posted by Bearcub (Post 12231835)
Hi Everyone,

My husband is a LPR in the US and has a clean record here. However, he did have a DUI in the UK for which he was convicted for and lost his license for a year. Prior to moving to the US, he regained his license and was back in good standing. He is ex military in the UK.

We wanted to apply for Global Entry and I understand that any convictions can be used as a reason to reject the application. Does this also include the said conviction in the UK? If so, that stinks. :unsure:

I know someone who was approved with a DUI from over 10 years ago. I believe the advice he received was to disclose it and if it was the only offence, they can escalate and approve. There's a great website called thepointsguy.com which addresses all sorts of travel issues.

vikingsail Apr 18th 2017 5:33 pm

Hi Everyone,

My input would be to disclose. Anything other than full disclosure will appear to be at best evasive at worst dishonest. And the whole point of issuing a Global Entry card is to a 'trusted traveler.' Thus you likely do not want to fall on the appearance/ perception of non disclosure as this will not bode well for approval. I truly do not believe they set out to exclude people but as I say you can see how non disclosure of a material fact will likely lead to non approval..

ian-mstm Apr 18th 2017 7:30 pm

I understand that any convictions can be used as a reason to reject the application.

Don't assume that "can be used" is equivalent to "will be used". They're not the same thing. He should disclose the offense. From where I sit... it's likely not serious enough to cause a rejection.

Ian

jkeller Apr 19th 2017 12:01 am

Flyertalk.

viking sail gave a very good response, if you're lying on the application then you're not very trustable.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/

Bearcub Apr 24th 2017 4:30 pm

thanks everyone. it definitely wasn't going to be our intent to omit this detail. i was just thinking whether it was worth the attempt to apply. well go ahead and apply for him first and see. thanks again!

hungryhorace Apr 24th 2017 4:39 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have a conviction (speeding) from the UK and was approved for GE without issue. The CBP were laughing at the speed I was going during the interview. Personally, if I were in your situation, I'd apply. What do you lose? $100. It's a trivial amount ($20 a year for 5 years) for the benefit(s) GE brings.

Good luck.