Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Global entry - update info with newly obtained visa on arrival in US?

Global entry - update info with newly obtained visa on arrival in US?

Old Apr 16th 2022, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

FrankCastle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Global entry - update info with newly obtained visa on arrival in US?

Hi All - has anyone had any recent experience of updating their global entry details when they've got a new visa?

I had my global entry interview and approval in 2020 whilst working in the US on an L1 visa. That visa has expired. I'm back in the UK permanently but just been approved for a B2 visa (which I am very excited about - big thanks to anyone who's ever given advice about the B2 process on the site.... helped me get well prepared).

I have this from the official site: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...l-arrangements"Updating VISA Information

Global Entry members who are not U.S. citizens or U.S. lawful permanent residents must maintain updated visa information with CBP. If a Global Entry member obtains a new visa, or obtains a new petition for a work visa, the member must notify CBP in-person at a Global Entry enrollment center. A member must visit an enrollment center to have CBP add visas and/or update visa information. If the visa information is incomplete or not properly updated with CBP, the Global Entry kiosk may incorrectly calculate the member’s Class of admission and admission date. A member must visit an enrollment center in-person to add or update visa information."

If anyone knows:
Can I still use the global entry line now my visa is a different class before speaking to a CBP officer to get it updated?
Or should I be in the regular line until that's done (given the sentence about the kiosk may incorrectly calculate the members class of admission I'm thinking I should act as if i don't have GE until everything is updated)

Does anyone know if its a similar process to the enrolment on arrival interview type thing. I go and find the CBP eoa place and ask if they could update my GE details.
And if I'm doing a layover on my way to the final destination - I do the update (if time) during the layover I think... is that right?

Thanks everyone! And happy Easter
Old Apr 17th 2022, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Global entry - update info with newly obtained visa on arrival in US?

I have no idea, and I asked this question during my GE interview (also L1 right now). I was curious what happened if I got a H-1B (wasn't select anyway) and got stamped outside the US, would I be able to use GE on returning to the US. The CBP officer had no idea... Super curious if you can find out now. If it were me, I'd use GE (you paid for it) but refuse to use the machine and ask for an officer for help.

My understanding is that GE is really not setup for the complexities of US Visa law. It's best used when either ESTA/VWP or Green Card/USC. Anything else is very case by case. See my profile for a thread when GE miscalculated my I94 and I didn't notice until I'd left the airport.
Old Apr 18th 2022, 1:02 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Global entry - update info with newly obtained visa on arrival in US?

If you are a UKC I thought you could have it even with an ESTA now. When mine “broke” because I became a USC and no longer had a green card I had to go to an enrollment center in person to have it updated.

Have you tried to login and see if you can update it? Certain fields can be updated by you, items require an office visit.. like Citizenship.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...united-kingdom
Old Apr 18th 2022, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tht
If you are a UKC I thought you could have it even with an ESTA now. When mine “broke” because I became a USC and no longer had a green card I had to go to an enrollment center in person to have it updated.

Have you tried to login and see if you can update it? Certain fields can be updated by you, items require an office visit.. like Citizenship.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...united-kingdom
Thanks! I've tried but the visa part is "locked" for editing. Guess I'll have to try my luck at the airport and see if it can be done on arrival.
Old Apr 18th 2022, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by postbox134
I have no idea, and I asked this question during my GE interview (also L1 right now). I was curious what happened if I got a H-1B (wasn't select anyway) and got stamped outside the US, would I be able to use GE on returning to the US. The CBP officer had no idea... Super curious if you can find out now. If it were me, I'd use GE (you paid for it) but refuse to use the machine and ask for an officer for help.

My understanding is that GE is really not setup for the complexities of US Visa law. It's best used when either ESTA/VWP or Green Card/USC. Anything else is very case by case. See my profile for a thread when GE miscalculated my I94 and I didn't notice until I'd left the airport.
Thanks. I've just booked a trip to the US at the end of may so will try and report back here for anyone who has a similar question in the future (hopefully I'll find out and not be left even more confused ).
Will be the first time I've actually used the GE privilege so I will take your advice and ask to speak to an officer for help.
Old Apr 18th 2022, 9:48 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FrankCastle
Thanks. I've just booked a trip to the US at the end of may so will try and report back here for anyone who has a similar question in the future (hopefully I'll find out and not be left even more confused ).
Will be the first time I've actually used the GE privilege so I will take your advice and ask to speak to an officer for help.
You should also get “Pre” when leaving the US/domestic so don’t forget to add your KTID number to your airline booking / frequent flyer profile. On the way out you get to use a separate line, keep on your shoes etc and minors on your booking should also get “Pre” and be able to come with you. Can save your 45 mins+ on a bad day at a busy airport euch is an extra 4 or 5 drinks 🍹 🍺 🥤 in the lounge….
Old Apr 18th 2022, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
You should also get “Pre” when leaving the US/domestic so don’t forget to add your KTID number to your airline booking / frequent flyer profile. On the way out you get to use a separate line, keep on your shoes etc and minors on your booking should also get “Pre” and be able to come with you. Can save your 45 mins+ on a bad day at a busy airport euch is an extra 4 or 5 drinks 🍹 🍺 🥤 in the lounge….
TSA Pre is great, but I've had times where it's not quite worked right. Make sure you say TSA Pre to anyone you see directing traffic.

GE is the only way a UK citizen can get TSA Pre too and is only $20 more for 5 years. Also many US credit cards refund the $100
Old Apr 19th 2022, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tht
Ha ha! Great tip - thanks. That could actually save me as I've got two internal flights on my trip too!
Old Apr 22nd 2022, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Chins is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm guessing, but on your first time of entry using this visa you would need to see an officer. Then go see GE at the airport. If you are travelling a lot internally then see if you can get Clear. Makes a big difference at the busier airports. I use EWR, ATL and DEN. Been a godsend a couple of times.
Old Apr 22nd 2022, 1:15 pm
tht

Originally Posted by Chins
I'm guessing, but on your first time of entry using this visa you would need to see an officer. Then go see GE at the airport. If you are travelling a lot internally then see if you can get Clear. Makes a big difference at the busier airports. I use EWR, ATL and DEN. Been a godsend a couple of times.
I juts did Clear sign up yesterday at EWR (was waiting to get it for free). How does it work with Pre? You go through a Clear lane and it feeds you in to Pre and cuts that line?
Old Apr 22nd 2022, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Chins is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tht
I juts did Clear sign up yesterday at EWR (was waiting to get it for free). How does it work with Pre? You go through a Clear lane and it feeds you in to Pre and cuts that line?
At EWR you have your own dedicated lane. It brings you to the front of TSA Pre - some days though there can be as many Clear as TSA Pre. At ATL or DEN they have two versions of Clear. One where you have TSA and one where your dont. My boss who is from Finland cant get TSA, but has Clear. The more people that get Clear the less benefit it maybe
Old Apr 22nd 2022, 4:51 pm
tht

Originally Posted by Chins
At EWR you have your own dedicated lane. It brings you to the front of TSA Pre - some days though there can be as many Clear as TSA Pre. At ATL or DEN they have two versions of Clear. One where you have TSA and one where your dont. My boss who is from Finland cant get TSA, but has Clear. The more people that get Clear the less benefit it maybe
Indeed, I sometimes skip Pre and go in the Premium line. Harder at EWR now because you can’t see all the lines to compare.
Old Apr 25th 2022, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tht
Indeed, I sometimes skip Pre and go in the Premium line. Harder at EWR now because you can’t see all the lines to compare.
Annoyingly, CLEAR is only for USC and LPRs"CLEAR is currently only available to US citizens and legal permanent residents 18 and older with a valid government-issued photo ID."

https://www.clearme.com/enroll/
Old May 15th 2022, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by postbox134

Thought I follow up on this incase anyone ever has a similar niche question. Just arrived in the US and this was my experience on updating GE with after a new visa...

No one at the GE counter so used the kiosk... It black crossed me and sent me to passport control.

The CBP officer had to call over the GE expert who was really helpful and luckily for me on monitoring duty so could come right over.
Was told I should book an appointment to change my visa class or try online (I never found an option to do that).

​​​​​​But must have caught them in a good mood, they kept my passport and sent me off to collect my checked luggage...

Just as it came off the belt they came out and gave me my passport back with GE system updated.

​​​​​​I came in transiting through Minneapolis though... Not sure if it would have been so easy elsewhere ​​​​​​
Old May 15th 2022, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FrankCastle
Thought I follow up on this incase anyone ever has a similar niche question. Just arrived in the US and this was my experience on updating GE with after a new visa...

No one at the GE counter so used the kiosk... It black crossed me and sent me to passport control.

The CBP officer had to call over the GE expert who was really helpful and luckily for me on monitoring duty so could come right over.
Was told I should book an appointment to change my visa class or try online (I never found an option to do that).

​​​​​​But must have caught them in a good mood, they kept my passport and sent me off to collect my checked luggage...

Just as it came off the belt they came out and gave me my passport back with GE system updated.

​​​​​​I came in transiting through Minneapolis though... Not sure if it would have been so easy elsewhere ​​​​​​
Thanks for the first hand experience!