Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Global Entry - Now For Kids?

Global Entry - Now For Kids?

Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:10 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Global Entry - Now For Kids?

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...nt-of-children

According to CBP you can now have kids enroll in Global Entry too; previously the minimum age was 14. 2 questions:

1) Has anyone taken advantage of this, and how young are the kids?
2) What is actually involved in the Global Entry process at immigration? As far as I know it involves using your fingerprints to be cleared, correct?

The mini-Weezes are 5 and 2. I figure the 5 year old would be fine, but 2 seems a little too young for that. I'm wondering if anyone else has tried with a little one?
Old Jun 16th 2014, 3:37 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Global Entry - Now For Kids?

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...nt-of-children

According to CBP you can now have kids enroll in Global Entry too; previously the minimum age was 14. 2 questions:

1) Has anyone taken advantage of this, and how young are the kids?
2) What is actually involved in the Global Entry process at immigration? As far as I know it involves using your fingerprints to be cleared, correct?

The mini-Weezes are 5 and 2. I figure the 5 year old would be fine, but 2 seems a little too young for that. I'm wondering if anyone else has tried with a little one?
I went for my interview on Saturday, so I got to play with a GE reader.
You shove your passport in the slot, face down on the picture page and then put the 4 fingers of either hand on the fingerprint reader. It will ask you if you have any liquor, food or plants.

It will think about it for a minute then print out either a clean slip with your picture on it, or one with a big black cross over it. You show your clean slip to the customes guy on the way out, and there you go....
Old Jun 16th 2014, 4:05 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by g1ant
You shove your passport in the slot, ...
Or your green card if you don't have a US passport
Old Jun 16th 2014, 4:40 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheepdip
Or your green card if you don't have a US passport
Or your UK passport.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute

Or your UK passport.
Doesn't sound right that since UK citizens who are not LPRs are not eligible...

Eligibility for Global Entry | U.S. Customs and Border Protection

I myself enrolled for GE 2 days after my Green Card arrived. Used it twice, amazing experience (read... walk with the pilot up to the GE machine and you get through faster than him since he had to queue in the crew line).
Old Jun 16th 2014, 11:02 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Or your UK passport.
Your UK passport won't work. Has to be your green card. When I first tried to use my passport the machine tells you that permanent residents must use their green card.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 11:18 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

This is getting too confusing: Global Entry Frequently Asked Questions | U.S. Customs and Border Protection

So you have a card, but you can't use the card at the airport. But I can use my NEXUS card with a GE machine.

The one thing that really annoys me is that I have to have my passport with me when I fly to the US because of an IATA rule at check-in, but CBP never look at it because I have a NEXUS card.

So presumably you can use a US passport card with the GE machine, that's what we need here, a passport card.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
This is getting too confusing: Global Entry Frequently Asked Questions | U.S. Customs and Border Protection

So you have a card, but you can't use the card at the airport. But I can use my NEXUS card with a GE machine.

The one thing that really annoys me is that I have to have my passport with me when I fly to the US because of an IATA rule at check-in, but CBP never look at it because I have a NEXUS card.

So presumably you can use a US passport card with the GE machine, that's what we need here, a passport card.
Yes, I have a GE Card but it's useless for GE at airports. Seems it's only useful at land borders (I think?).
Old Jun 17th 2014, 11:23 am
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

I had to show the GE card at Toronto airport to get into the GE area as immigration was done before security.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

seawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really niceseawaternow is just really nice

When we went for our GE interviews there was a mom with 3-month old baby boy getting him enrolled. So you can enroll children as soon as they have their passport.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Does this cost or is any of it free?
Old Jun 17th 2014, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Does this cost or is any of it free?
It's $100 for 5 years, but if you have Amex you can claim the cost back (at least when I did it you could).
Old Jun 18th 2014, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

That's not bad...
Old Jun 18th 2014, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hotscot
That's not bad...
Aye.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 11:22 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

You shove your passport in the slot, face down on the picture page and then put the 4 fingers of either hand on the fingerprint reader. It will ask you if you have any liquor, food or plants.

It will think about it for a minute then print out either a clean slip with your picture on it, or one with a big black cross over it. You show your clean slip to the customes guy on the way out, and there you go....
This. At IAH you can also go down the fast track customs lane (far right) which can save you 20 mins if the line is busy.

I have it but Mrs Bink and mini Bink don't so I don't get to use it very often. Sine mini Bink can now get one maybe I'll look into that. It does save a bunch of time.