Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Global entry card for green card holders

Global entry card for green card holders

Old Oct 28th 2016, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Mirage88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Global entry card for green card holders

If you already hold a US green card is there any actual benefits to apply for a Global Entry Card? I mean is it faster when you clearing immigration checks upon returning to the US from overseas trips? It does cost $100 to apply the global entry card. Any ideas?
Old Oct 28th 2016, 5:14 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Global entry card for green card holders

Originally Posted by Mirage88
If you already hold a US green card is there any actual benefits to apply for a Global Entry Card? I mean is it faster when you clearing immigration checks upon returning to the US from overseas trips? It does cost $100 to apply the global entry card. Any ideas?
Yes, Global Entry is faster than entry with a Green Card - in some cases much faster. I do find that some of the benefit is eroded by subsequently having to wait for luggage.
Old Oct 28th 2016, 5:50 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Yes, Global Entry is faster than entry with a Green Card - in some cases much faster.
^^ This. The lines for a GE kiosk are never particularly long (if there even is a line), and if you do get sent to a CBP officer for random screening (never happened to me), they send you to the front of the line anyway.

I do find that some of the benefit is eroded by subsequently having to wait for luggage.
my nearest major airport (Newark) usually has their stuff together in terms of reuniting luggage with you. I've only once had to wait more than ~10 mins tops to wait for my luggage and that was due to a thunderstorm. Going through customs however...
Old Oct 28th 2016, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

Global Entry is well worth it, and $100 for 5 years is a bargain, in my opinion. Global Entry gives you TSA Precheck too, which would cost $85 alone, and SENTRI (SENTRI car entry costs another $20, IIRC). If you're a British citizen, you'll have to apply for a UK Access Code first, which costs £42.

UK Access Code link: https://www.gov.uk/apply-faster-entry-usa
Global Entry link: https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov
Old Oct 28th 2016, 5:55 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cautiousjon
and SENTRI (SENTRI car entry costs another $20, IIRC).
Does it allow Sentri? I thought you had to add that on afterwards? not that I've looked though.
Originally Posted by cautiousjon
If you're a British citizen, you'll have to apply for a UK Access Code first, which costs £42.
The UK Access Code doesn't apply if you're a UKC with a GC, and you can apply direct from GOES.
Old Oct 28th 2016, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
... The UK Access Code doesn't apply if you're a UKC with a GC, and you can apply direct from GOES.
Ah, my mistake.

Does it allow Sentri? I thought you had to add that on afterwards? not that I've looked though. ...
It does.

Originally Posted by https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/frequently-asked-questions
How are Global Entry cards used?

CBP accepts Global Entry cards for lawful U.S. entry at land and sea ports of entry. Global Entry cards have radio frequency identification, which enables their use at SENTRI and NEXUS expedited travel lanes entering the U.S. Global Entry cards are not valid for entry into Canada via the NEXUS lanes and kiosks. Global Entry cards are not accepted at Global Entry kiosks, which require passports or U.S. lawful permanent resident cards. Global Entry card holders must follow all program rules for SENTRI and NEXUS when using this card at land and sea ports of entry.
Global Entry cards are cards are only given to USCs, LPRs and Mexican nationals. UKCs can still use all the benefits of Global Entry (including SENTRI and NEXUS US-entry lanes), but have to show their passport instead of the Global Entry card.
Old Oct 28th 2016, 6:06 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

The Chase Sapphire Reserve card offers free Global Entry as one of it's perks. I did mine recently, the $100 showed on my credit card, and was immediately credited by Chase.
Old Oct 28th 2016, 7:33 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
The Chase Sapphire Reserve card offers free Global Entry as one of it's perks. I did mine recently, the $100 showed on my credit card, and was immediately credited by Chase.
There are a few cards out there that do this. It's a nice benefit.
Old Oct 28th 2016, 7:37 pm
Septic Sprout

^^ This. The lines for a GE kiosk are never particularly long (if there even is a line), and if you do get sent to a CBP officer for random screening (never happened to me), they send you to the front of the line anyway.

my nearest major airport (Newark) usually has their stuff together in terms of reuniting luggage with you. I've only once had to wait more than ~10 mins tops to wait for my luggage and that was due to a thunderstorm. Going through customs however...
I use Boston and JFK almost exclusively, and I've never encountered any kind of line at either - well maybe one person in front of me but that's that.

BOS usually means a wait for luggage, but then I've never had any wait for customs.

These experiences span the 13 entries I've made since getting GE about a year ago.
Old Oct 30th 2016, 5:45 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mirage88
At Logan we have been held at the POE after disembarking allowing only those with GE to enter the immigration hall, as they held back planes of passengers because the hall was already packed.

Logan is possibly the worst international airport I've regularly travelled through.
Old Oct 30th 2016, 5:48 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

I use Boston and JFK almost exclusively, and I've never encountered any kind of line at either - well maybe one person in front of me but that's that. BOS usually means a wait for luggage, but then I've never had any wait for customs.
Really? Christ.

Logan is awful. Before I had GE I've waited an hour to be inspected as an LPR, then another 30 minutes waiting to clear the customs line.

My British colleagues who travel over every other week report similar stories, as well as being held after disembarking from even entering the immigration hall. It's so bad that all of them have taken the trouble to get GE as a result.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 11:03 am
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Really? Christ.

Logan is awful. Before I had GE I've waited an hour to be inspected as an LPR, then another 30 minutes waiting to clear the customs line.

My British colleagues who travel over every other week report similar stories, as well as being held after disembarking from even entering the immigration hall. It's so bad that all of them have taken the trouble to get GE as a result.
You've quoted my reply to livinginnyc where we were comparing experiences as Global Entry holders.

I used to ecounter waits at Logan prior to obtaining GE. That said, I'll always glance at the rest of the immigration hall while passing through, and it's not too often I see it in a mess. But agree - it can get into a mess. I've been held on the aircraft twice as there was no room to even disembark.

They're currently working on expanding Terminal E (including making it A380-ready), but I don't know if they're changing anything downstairs.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 1:03 pm
Banned

They're currently working on expanding Terminal E (including making it A380-ready), but I don't know if they're changing anything downstairs.
I don't believe so; they've changed the entrance queues about 3 times in 18 months, and STILL can't get it right. Terminal E is a joke of an 'international' terminal. It's far too small and never has an appropriate number of CBP officers.

For all the criticism LHR gets, when I land with my US staff they are usually through within 10 minutes.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

MrChris has a reputation beyond reputeMrChris has a reputation beyond reputeMrChris has a reputation beyond reputeMrChris has a reputation beyond reputeMrChris has a reputation beyond reputeMrChris has a reputation beyond reputeMrChris has a reputation beyond reputeMrChris has a reputation beyond reputeMrChris has a reputation beyond reputeMrChris has a reputation beyond reputeMrChris has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest advantage for me is that Global Entry also gives you TSA Pre when flying domestic or on outbound flight - avoids long lines for security.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 6:50 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by MrChris
The biggest advantage for me is that Global Entry also gives you TSA Pre when flying domestic or on outbound flight - avoids long lines for security.
There is no TSA Pre available for international flights (at Logan, or anywhere AFAIAA).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.