Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Glad im not in Cancun right now

Glad im not in Cancun right now

Old Jul 17th 2005, 2:55 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Glad im not in Cancun right now

Originally Posted by ImHere
well im shocked! I never knew that about him. I guess we got the abridged version of his bio at school.

Yeah they do that don't they.
Just checked Golden Triangle website on Emily-looks like it's going to be a rough morning for some folks Sun. Possigle she'll go to Cat 5. :scared:
Old Jul 17th 2005, 2:58 am
Franklin

Originally Posted by cindyabs
He was quite a character-a dirty old man, his illegitmate son was the last Royal governor of NJ. One thing I learned from the biography, that he and his wife were never married-it was a common law relationship. They have a tendancy to skip over that kind of stuff in the school history books,
The documentary I half saw partly touched on his personal life. Something that stood out was the impact of losing his first son, something about the wee lad not getting vaccinated against small pox; apparently his son was a miniature version of BF and BF loved him very much. BF intended to get him vaccinated but his son died. Pretty tragic. I don't know, but maybe that tragedy made him want to spend so much time away from his wife. According to the documentary he did spend a lot of time chasing other women.

Something else that stood out was his comment, "Good scenery", when asked about why he lived in some French chateau, "Good scenery". According to the documentary BF was referring to the women in the nearby chateaus.

Old Jul 17th 2005, 3:05 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Franklin
The documentary I half saw partly touched on his personal life. Something that stood out was the impact of losing his first son, something about the wee lad not getting vaccinated against small pox; apparently his son was a miniature version of BF and BF loved him very much. BF intended to get him vaccinated but his son died. Pretty tragic. I don't know, but maybe that tragedy made him want to spend so much time away from his wife. According to the documentary he did spend a lot of time chasing other women.

Something else that stood out was his comment, "Good scenery", when asked about why he lived in some French chateau, "Good scenery". According to the documentary BF was referring to the women in the nearby chateaus.

he had a daughter also but was not that close to her. His illegitimate son was actually a "wedding gift" . To her credit his wife raised him as her own. The son was estranged from Ben due to political differences. He in turn made BF an illegitimate grandfather.
Strange how many famous men in US history either didn't have children, or at least a "line of descent" that survived them very long-Washington, Lincoln to name a few.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 3:14 am
ImHere

Yeah they do that don't they.
Just checked Golden Triangle website on Emily-looks like it's going to be a rough morning for some folks Sun. Possigle she'll go to Cat 5. :scared:
aye.

If i were in cancun i'd be leaving right about now.

Old Jul 17th 2005, 3:18 am
Sursum corda

aye.

If i were in cancun i'd be leaving right about now.

Yeah. You ever been there? That peninsula is VERY narrow where Cancun is!!
Old Jul 17th 2005, 11:05 am
ImHere

No not been. We thought about it, but to be honest if we go to Mexico we want to see Mexico not a European resort transplanted there. After all, we hardly need to go on a traditional summer vacation to a beach resort.

Old Jul 17th 2005, 11:58 am
Sursum corda

Well I guess we'll see how much of a beach resort is left there before too much longer.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 12:46 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

No not been. We thought about it, but to be honest if we go to Mexico we want to see Mexico not a European resort transplanted there. After all, we hardly need to go on a traditional summer vacation to a beach resort.
Its cheap......and sometimes its nice to spend time at a resort.....I miss going away to hotels and resorts now we go down to the house in FL a few times a year.....I can't wait to move or sell so we can get back to traveling...........
Old Jul 17th 2005, 1:01 pm
Sursum corda

We've got a beach here, but I admit after the beaches in the Caribbean, I'm spoiled.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 1:10 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Just checked the latest hurricane map - somebody in southeast Mexico is going to get it very bad, even if it doesn't hit the resort. Cancun has money to rebuild and resources to deal with casualties. If it goes a bit further west it will slap right into some places that can't afford to lose much. Not looking too good.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 1:16 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Just checked the latest hurricane map - somebody in southeast Mexico is going to get it very bad, even if it doesn't hit the resort. Cancun has money to rebuild and resources to deal with casualties. If it goes a bit further west it will slap right into some places that can't afford to lose much. Not looking too good.

True, although when we went down there we rode the city bus which is cheap and rather than just stay on the proscribed tourist route up and down the "7" we went into town. Actually, we went on into the barrio and that is not prosperous by a long shot-cement block houses with a central community water faucet outside-quite a contrast from the hotel zone.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 1:19 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

True, although when we went down there we rode the city bus which is cheap and rather than just stay on the proscribed tourist route up and down the "7" we went into town. Actually, we went on into the barrio and that is not prosperous by a long shot-cement block houses with a central community water faucet outside-quite a contrast from the hotel zone.
Well that's right of course. That's Mexico for you. I suppose I'm thinking that in the rural areas they'll have immense problems getting in clean drinking water, etc. Their supplies are marginal enough. I hope it turns north and magically dissolves in the gulf before hitting Texas or Florida.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 1:22 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Well that's right of course. That's Mexico for you. I suppose I'm thinking that in the rural areas they'll have immense problems getting in clean drinking water, etc. Their supplies are marginal enough. I hope it turns north and magically dissolves in the gulf before hitting Texas or Florida.

That would be best and hey who knows, stranger things have happened.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 1:23 pm

stranger things have happened.
Story of my life
Old Jul 17th 2005, 1:52 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by krizzy
Its cheap......and sometimes its nice to spend time at a resort.....I miss going away to hotels and resorts now we go down to the house in FL a few times a year.....I can't wait to move or sell so we can get back to traveling...........
But when you live basically in a resort town with the golden beaches and hot tropical water a couple of miles from your house it gets a bit old.

Thats why we bought the RV, so we can hitch up and tour round. Infact, we are off for 18 days round North FL and Georgia at the end of the month. Woohooo cant wait.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.