British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Giving up on the K3 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/giving-up-k3-111975/)

jsv888 Sep 29th 2002 4:13 pm

Giving up on the K3

We are so close to bagging this K3 thing. It's been 6 months since we applied and we've been apart for 3 months so far. We just sent Packet 3 off to the embassy, but now believe the police certificate could take well over 40 days because of the recent surge in requests to Scotland Yard (the embassy told us we could send the checklist back before the police certificate arrived). We had requested the police certificate a month ago, but sent it to the address advised on the USEMbassy website which is wrong, and it was returned. This set us back quite a bit. I've spoken to a lawyer here that says for $2,000 he can get us an AOS and a work permit in 60 days if we just get hubby here. My husband works for the British affiliate of an American company (who are laying off, not hiring or we wouldn do a work visa), so he could lie and say he is coming here on business. I know it's risky because they might not let him in because of "intent to immigrate", but how would they know, really? I don't think the INS is that organized and if he doesn't offer up any information like, "I have a wife living here", they aren't going to suspect anything. I know it's a risk, but I'm so fed up with this process I could die. I live in the Northwest and I have Seasonal Affective Disorder (I know, i doubted this existed too till i got it) and the rainy season is on it's way. I need my husband for support and love, he keeps me sane, that's why i married him! :) We are trying to start a family too! I know i'm no different from anyone else on this website, except maybe i have less patience. It just feels like we've done everything the hard way and this whole process has been a living nightmare. So what do you all think? Should we be illegal?

Folinskyinla Sep 29th 2002 5:39 pm

Re: Giving up on the K3

Originally posted by jsv888:
We are so close to bagging this K3 thing. It's been 6 months since we applied and we've been apart for 3 months so far. We just sent Packet 3 off to the embassy, but now believe the police certificate could take well over 40 days because of the recent surge in requests to Scotland Yard (the embassy told us we could send the checklist back before the police certificate arrived). We had requested the police certificate a month ago, but sent it to the address advised on the USEMbassy website which is wrong, and it was returned. This set us back quite a bit. I've spoken to a lawyer here that says for $2,000 he can get us an AOS and a work permit in 60 days if we just get hubby here. My husband works for the British affiliate of an American company (who are laying off, not hiring or we wouldn do a work visa), so he could lie and say he is coming here on business. I know it's risky because they might not let him in because of "intent to immigrate", but how would they know, really? I don't think the INS is that organized and if he doesn't offer up any information like, "I have a wife living here", they aren't going to suspect anything. I know it's a risk, but I'm so fed up with this process I could die. I live in the Northwest and I have Seasonal Affective Disorder (I know, i doubted this existed too till i got it) and the rainy season is on it's way. I need my husband for support and love, he keeps me sane, that's why i married him! :) We are trying to start a family too! I know i'm no different from anyone else on this website, except maybe i have less patience. It just feels like we've done everything the hard way and this whole process has been a living nightmare. So what do you all think? Should we be illegal?

Hi:

I'm not going to preach morality here, just practicality. INS is busily updating its computers. Go ahead, lie at the POE, watch what happens when the pending I-130 and K-3's pop up on the computer screen. You've been apart for three whole months and are willing to risk LIFETIME separation to MAYBE be together a little sooner? IMHO, a dumb move.

Rete Sep 29th 2002 7:05 pm

Originally posted by Folinskyinla:

Hi:

I'm not going to preach morality here, just practicality. INS is busily updating its computers. Go ahead, lie at the POE, watch what happens when the pending I-130 and K-3's pop up on the computer screen. You've been apart for three whole months and are willing to risk LIFETIME separation to MAYBE be together a little sooner? IMHO, a dumb move.

I won't moralize either. But if you fear being alone during your Seasonal Affective Disorder, then think of how that disorder is going to be affected if he is caught at the POE and returned home. You won't be even able to think sunny thoughts. Or if he makes it, how you are going to feel up til the time you successfully adjust his status. Always worrying and looking over your shoulder for the invisible cowboy to pull you over and shout "Fraud".

You are talking about a month or two before you are together. Darn lady, think you have to think of the big picture here and not the cameo portrait you are currently envisioning.

BTW have you seriously thought of moving to an area of the country where the sunshines 300 out of 365 days a year?

Rete

Evan Audette Sep 29th 2002 7:26 pm

Yes, I agree.

Once you file for your K-3 non-immigrant visa (actually, your I-130 would
have been first), the SECOND you get back your initial receipt from the INS,
you and your husband's statuses are logged into thier database. He, being an
immigrant, would more than likely be punched into the computer at the POE
and bingo. A big red flag would pop up and he'd be required to explain
himself. Now, especially if he lied on his intent to visit the U.S., he
could face a possible ban, max up to 10 years, no visits and no immigration.
Would you really want to take such a risk?

-Ev

possumrex Sep 29th 2002 8:17 pm

Okay now you have heard the rational intelligent replies from the three above. I told you that you could tell a little white lie about whether you had the police certificate in hand before. Now I am questioning your habit of wanting to tell a lie. It is absolutely disgusting to tell the kind of lie you are considering. How dare you propose this on this board? I would remind you as an American what the father of our country said when he was given the opportunity to tell something not true: "Father, I cannot tell a lie, yes, I did cut down the cherry tree." Now suck that gut in, jut that chin out, stand up straight, and take some pride in yourself.

Sthrnshrte Sep 30th 2002 3:54 am

Visiting while application is processing

>Once you file for your K-3 non-immigrant visa (actually, your I-130 would
    >have been first), the SECOND you get back your initial receipt from the INS,
    >you and your husband's statuses are logged into thier database. He, being an
    >immigrant, would more than likely be punched into the computer at the POE
    >and bingo. A big red flag would pop up and he'd be required to explain
    >himself. Now, especially if he lied on his intent to visit the U.S., he
    >could face a possible ban, max up to 10 years, no visits and no immigration.
    >Would you really want to take such a risk?
    >-Ev

Yikes! We filed an I-130 in March of this year for my (UKC) husband, and he's
coming to visit (honestly, just visit) for the month of October. He has a
letter from his employer and bank statements showing his ties to the UK (no
mortgage as he's living with his mum right now, we're young'ns), and he also
has the receipt for my UK settlement visa application which is in review at the
moment... would they still believe that he is entering on false grounds and
turn him back? Is there anything else that could help him if he brought it to
the POE (Charlotte)? Just getting a little antsy at the last minute. Thanks,

Ash

cowall Sep 30th 2002 5:02 am

Originally posted by possumrex:
Okay now you have heard the rational intelligent replies from the three above. I told you that you could tell a little white lie about whether you had the police certificate in hand before. Now I am questioning your habit of wanting to tell a lie. It is absolutely disgusting to tell the kind of lie you are considering. How dare you propose this on this board? I would remind you as an American what the father of our country said when he was given the opportunity to tell something not true: "Father, I cannot tell a lie, yes, I did cut down the cherry tree." Now suck that gut in, jut that chin out, stand up straight, and take some pride in yourself.

the father of our country also thought slavery was a great idea

jsv888 Sep 30th 2002 5:43 am

Originally posted by cowall:

the father of our country also thought slavery was a great idea

Folinskyinla: I value your opinion because you are a lawyer and I guess you would know, but i have a hard time believing that an institution that lost our first application, posts the wrong information on its websites and staffs its "customer service" line with utter morons who have thrice given me false information has the brains or resources to track every person whose ever applied for a visa.

Rete: My family lives in the northwest, so this is my grey home.

Possumrex: i hope for you own sake and the people that have to hang out with you that you are being tounge and cheek. If not, please read The People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn.

Sthrnshrte: I wonder the same thing. Is my husband actually BANNED from entering the United States before he gets this visa. What if I get hurt or someone dies and he has to come for an emergency, are they really not going to let him in?

Cowall: My sentiments exactly.

possumrex Oct 1st 2002 1:54 am

Originally posted by jsv888:

Folinskyinla: I value your opinion because you are a lawyer and I guess you would know, but i have a hard time believing that an institution that lost our first application, posts the wrong information on its websites and staffs its "customer service" line with utter morons who have thrice given me false information has the brains or resources to track every person whose ever applied for a visa.

Rete: My family lives in the northwest, so this is my grey home.

Possumrex: i hope for you own sake and the people that have to hang out with you that you are being tounge and cheek. If not, please read The People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn.

Sthrnshrte: I wonder the same thing. Is my husband actually BANNED from entering the United States before he gets this visa. What if I get hurt or someone dies and he has to come for an emergency, are they really not going to let him in?

Cowall: My sentiments exactly.

For the record, please see:

http://gwpapers.virginia.edu/will/text.html

<Ite>m Upon the decease <of> my wife, it is my Will & desire th<at> all the Slaves which I hold in <my> own right, shall receive their free<dom>. To emancipate them during <her> life, would, tho' earnestly wish<ed by> me, be attended with such insu<pera>ble difficulties on account of thei<r interm>ixture by Marriages ..........