Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Giving Birth In The US

Giving Birth In The US

Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Labosh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Giving Birth In The US

Please I really need information on giving birth in the USA. I want to know all the procedures as i would be coming to the US to give birth and i need the right information. Please i really need help concerning this. what are the steps to go through, the cost and any other thing. This is my first time of visiting the US
Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:58 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GIVING BIRTH IN THE USA

Originally Posted by Labosh
Please I really need information on giving birth in the USA. I want to know all the procedures as i would be coming to the US to give birth and i need the right information. Please i really need help concerning this. what are the steps to go through, the cost and any other thing. This is my first time of visiting the US
Well given that you can't have a piss during the last hour of the flight I'd try somewhere else if I were you.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:58 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Bring at least $100,000 in cash for the medical bill
Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:59 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Giving Birth In The US

Sod it - I'll do it for fifty.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Are you moving to the US or are you simply coming to give birth?
If you are moving here then what visa do you have? Don't you have medical insurance?
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I moved your thread to the appropriate forum. If you are just planning on dropping in during your 7th or 8th month and staying until the baby is born so that you have a USC in your life, honey, you will be taken to a hospital but the care you get will not be anything what you are use to.

Unless you have hospitalization, you are in for a very expensive and somewhat uncomfortable birth. Depending on the state you are residing in you may or may not be permitted to have natural childbirth (i.e. Mississippi doctors perfer the mother is numb so that there is no pain).

Bring lots of money.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:18 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I think you might get more complete answers if you provided a little more information, starting with ... Are you currently pregnant?
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

tokolosheman is an unknown quantity at this point

We recently had a child over here in Seattle. We have comprehensive medical insurance which paid 80% of the costs....it looks like it will cost us about $2k - for a straight forward birth and NO PAIN MEDICATION (got to love my wife for saving costs).
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:31 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

Give it two more months and come on over. We will have free healthcare for everyone that can't afford it. Make sure you spend any spare cash you have (buy a car, some jewelry, a second home or put in a swimming pool). If you have any money (i.e. your sensible with it) then you have to BUY Insurance cover at twice the rate it is today.

Bottom line, be seen to look poor and it's free.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 6:40 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

First thing you should realize is that airlines will not let you fly after the 8th month, and many will draw the line somewhere around the 7th month. The last thing they want is a premature birth on the plane somewhere over the ocean.

Secondly, you will need insurance. A perfectly simple, non-problematic birth will likely cost around $15,000-$20,000, but you simply cannot predict what is going to happen once you go into labor. Should they rush you in for a c-section, then it could easily be $100,000. If there are serious complications requiring an intensive care unit for you or the child, than easily (EASILY) $250,000 in a few days time. Yes, $250,000 in 4 or 5 days in the hospital. You will likely need to present proof of insurance when you check into the hospital.

If you are moving here as part of a job, you should discuss with the HR people the health insurance requirements before arriving. You might also want to get an OB set up before you arrive.

Your child will be an American citizen by birth, and you will not be able to renounce their citizenship even if you want. That means they will be required to file US tax returns until they die, and if it is a boy they will be required to register for military service when they turn 18 (i.e. conscription).
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:59 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Your child will be an American citizen by birth, and you will not be able to renounce their citizenship even if you want. That means they will be required to file US tax returns until they die, and if it is a boy they will be required to register for military service when they turn 18 (i.e. conscription).
also - the child will NOT be able to petition for you to join them until they are aged 21. (assuming you are not a legal resident or citizen already).

if you want to know more about pregnancy - i have posted severa; times in the past about pregnancy issues on this forum - so use the search function.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
also - the child will NOT be able to petition for you to join them until they are aged 21. (assuming you are not a legal resident or citizen already).

if you want to know more about pregnancy - i have posted severa; times in the past about pregnancy issues on this forum - so use the search function.
Not to mention the waiting times 21 years from then on parent immigration?
Old Dec 29th 2009, 12:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Bring at least $100,000 in cash for the medical bill
And another large chunk of change for the other costs associated with coming several weeks before the birth and leaving after 90 days less a few. It's a crazy idea if you ask me.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
Not to mention the waiting times 21 years from then on parent immigration?
Parents are immediate relatives and have no waiting time. Of course the rules might have changed in 21 years' time, but I kind of doubt it.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by henryh
Parents are immediate relatives and have no waiting time. Of course the rules might have changed in 21 years' time, but I kind of doubt it.
Oops, my bad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.