British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Girlfriend Visiting (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/girlfriend-visiting-716866/)

Lukey657 May 13th 2011 10:55 am

Girlfriend Visiting

my girlfriend plans to visit me from the US for a second time soon the first time she told them it was a tourism based visit at the UKBA

so this time we want to be fully honest as the only reason we weren't before is down to our worries relating to only having known each other over the internet etc and how that would be perceived

is it simply a case of her coming here like last time but just saying she's visiting me and my family, and showing all relevant proof of intention to leave the UK and ties to the US etc and giving them contact details for me, or is a visa required ?

ps.. thanks for any advice and sorry if this is in the wrong place im somewhat of a forum noob lol

redarmy990 May 13th 2011 11:36 am

Re: Girlfriend Visiting

hi mate.
when my usc girlfriend visited me she just said she was visiting friends sightseeing.

i did the same the first time i visited her.we also met on the internet.

but the second time i went which was april this year i said visiting my girlfriend and everything was great at us border control.

so tell her to say shes visiting you there wont be a problem and she wont be lying either

:thumbsup:

ian-mstm May 13th 2011 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Lukey657 (Post 9361828)
so this time we want to be fully honest as the only reason we weren't before is down to our worries relating to only having known each other over the internet etc and how that would be perceived

Are you saying that she deliberately lied to the UK officer on her previous visit ... because that's what it sounds like? Please clarify.

I will point out that my wife and I met on the Internet 14 years ago. Most people these days - including border officers - don't even blink twice at such information.

Ian

Rete May 13th 2011 3:05 pm

My suggestion be the same as I would give you if you were coming to the US. You answer the question asked. You answer it precisely. You do not elaborate.

The old chestnut is: Do you know what time it is? Yes. [See what I mean?]

Purpose of your trip? To visit friends and sightsee. How long will you be here? 3 weeks.

thephionex May 13th 2011 3:44 pm

@Lukey657

I meet my wife online aswell one her first visit her she told them she was visiting a friend (not a lie as we had not established if we where compatible) but the second time she came over she told the truth. the last thing you need is for her to get questioned further and her slip up. that would probably go against you. as Ian said most people from separate country's meet on line no big deal about it.