Gift suggestions for financial sponsor for visa

Gift suggestions for financial sponsor for visa

Old Aug 21st 2012, 10:34 am
tut
Just Joined

tut is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gift suggestions for financial sponsor for visa

Hi there!

I'm in the process of applying for a CR-1 marriage based visa to move to the US. My father in law filled out an affidavit of support, providing his tax returns' copies for the past three years etc. and basically was of a lot of help with the visa application. I want to get him a present but I'm not sure what would be appropriate. Sadly my husband doesn't have any suggestions either so maybe if people went through something similar and can help me with this, that would be great.

My father in law is 60, lives in New Jersey, was born in Britain but is also an American citizen now. He works a lot, he likes cars, drinks, technology, and music.

Thanks!
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:36 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gift suggestions for financial sponsor for visa

A blank cheque.... Just in case?
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

rachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nice

Maybe a concert ticket? Subscription to car magazine+gift card. If you're willing to spend the cash get him an Ipad, if he doesn't already have one, or a kindle...?
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

rachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nicerachiea2610 is just really nice

ooo, or pay for him to take a mixology course...how fun would that be
Old Aug 21st 2012, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

I would go with gift cards to Best Buy or Amazon and a few places he likes to eat.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Charma1ne will become famous soon enoughCharma1ne will become famous soon enough

Just a suggestion...

But if he is from the UK originally what abou a UK hamper of goodies? Magazines, Drinks, Music and food etc that you know he likes / you can only get in the UK? The personal touch will surely be a nice way to say thank you?

Cx
Old Aug 21st 2012, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

I don't know how well you and your FIL know each other, but what about something you can both do as a bonding exercise? I know my FIL is keen to take endless day trips with me when we make the move (not sure if that's a good thing or he's just looking for somewhere quiet to bury me ). Day at the nearest race track maybe?
Old Aug 21st 2012, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Big bottle of expensive whisk(e)y.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 12:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What's MIL like? Depending.

Hookers and blow might be appreciated.

It's a pretty staple gift idea.

But seriously, would depend on the budget...I wouldn't suggest going to low rent or anything :/
Old Oct 9th 2012, 3:05 pm
tut
Just Joined

tut is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a bit of a late response but I just wanted to thank you all for the great ideas! I decided to go with concert tickets so they'll be seeing Bob Dylan in a couple months!

Thanks a lot Rachiea2610!
Old Oct 9th 2012, 3:22 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Good God! Is Dylan still performing? I saw him in Japan over 10 years ago and he was ancient then.
I think what you are doing is very sweet and I am sure your FIL will appreciate all that you are doing for him. Dylan is a living legend.