Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Gift or celebration idea for New US Citizen?

Gift or celebration idea for New US Citizen?

Old Jan 10th 2006, 7:51 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Gift or celebration idea for New US Citizen?

My friend has to go to Newark BCIS on 25th Jan to take her test and oath for US citizenship.....I know it's been a long and expensive journey for her as she is self-employed.

I'd like to get her a gift or arrange some kind of celebration for her (although she is now dating so I don't know if her boyfriend has thought of anything but I don't think he has).

Any ideas? No idea about the budget but her daughter aged 7 will also be naturalised at the same time (and her ex whom she divorced in Australia but then he's flying straight back there as soon as he gets a US passport).
Old Jan 10th 2006, 7:55 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Gift or celebration idea for New US Citizen?

Originally Posted by Englishmum
My friend has to go to Newark BCIS on 25th Jan to take her test and oath for US citizenship.....I know it's been a long and expensive journey for her as she is self-employed.

I'd like to get her a gift or arrange some kind of celebration for her (although she is now dating so I don't know if her boyfriend has thought of anything but I don't think he has).

Any ideas? No idea about the budget but her daughter aged 7 will also be naturalised at the same time (and her ex whom she divorced in Australia but then he's flying straight back there as soon as he gets a US passport).

just a thought....if a lot of travelling is involved could you maybe pay for the nights accommodation prior to her test and oath on Jan 25? Maybe a nice hotel that they could relax in...
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:10 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

If they'll be in Newark, then how about a bullet-proof vest or a "Claw" for their car steering wheel?

Seriously though, is the test and the Oath ceremony on the same day?? I thought that would be a seperate deal.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:12 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
If they'll be in Newark, then how about a bullet-proof vest or a "Claw" for their car steering wheel?

Seriously though, is the test and the Oath ceremony on the same day?? I thought that would be a seperate deal.
From what I have picked up here, I thought the test and oath were on different days too.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:34 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
just a thought....if a lot of travelling is involved could you maybe pay for the nights accommodation prior to her test and oath on Jan 25? Maybe a nice hotel that they could relax in...
Well that would have been a nice idea but Newark is only about 20-30 mins from her nice suburban home. I guess that her boyfriend would enjoy that idea though as they're very much in the 'honeymoon' stage right now but he can pay for his own motel/hotel room LOL!
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy

Too right about Newark....scary place and a place you venture to only if you must.

The letter from the INS/BCIS on her noticeboard does seem to imply that the test and oath ceremony take place on the same day and she thought so too.

I'll have to look at the US Immigration board to check for sure.....

Any ideas anyone? (I don't think she would want a plastic model of the Statue of Liberty somehow...)
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

Too right about Newark....scary place and a place you venture to only if you must.

The letter from the INS/BCIS on her noticeboard does seem to imply that the test and oath ceremony take place on the same day and she thought so too.

I'll have to look at the US Immigration board to check for sure.....

Any ideas anyone? (I don't think she would want a plastic model of the Statue of Liberty somehow...)

lol surely not a big US flag for their front yard....
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
lol surely not a big US flag for their front yard....
One that says "America kicks everyone's ass" on it; and a similar bumper sticker.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
One that says "America kicks everyone's ass" on it; and a similar bumper sticker.

lol yeah somethin' like that
Old Jan 10th 2006, 11:49 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

I'm sure if you look hard enough Hallmark probably have a card for just such an occasion!!!!
Old Jan 10th 2006, 11:51 pm
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

You could do a gift basket and fill it with red, white and blue stuff .....then maybe stick a mini Brit and mini USA flag in there. If she and her daughter like candy you could fill it with a ton of stuff like r/w/b jellybeans (I bet a party store has good stuff) or you could just do a red, white, blue theme using things like candles, t shirts, maybe throw a photo frame in if they are getting their pic taken at the ceremony. That way you can go as little or as much yankee doodle as you like!

What a nice friend you are.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 12:02 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

What about the old standby - a good bottle of champers, maybe wrapped up in a US flag, with some "extras" in the package like CrackerJacks, Snickers, a "USA Today", and other silly "US" stuff?
Old Jan 11th 2006, 12:16 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Ideas for gifts for a new US Citizen

1. A frontal labotomy
2. 25 pounds of lard to eat so they can catch up with the rest
3. A handgun but no sense on how to use it
4. A map of the world and when you open it there is just America on it
5. A large dollop of Intolerance
6. Driving lessons so she can learn how not to indicate, how to change 5 lanes in one go to get to an exit, how to take up 3 parking spaces with one Honda Accord, and other basics
7. Have her taste buds removed so she can eat the bland food without 2 tonnes of ketchup on everything
8. A pair of blinkers
9. Sili-cones* (only if she is going to live in CA)
10. An insular view
11. A superficial Positive attitude
12. Scrap 11, a superficial everything
13. Teeth whitener
14. Low cut jeans and a whale tail
15. A sense of humor by pass
16. An irony defieciency

There must be more but I'm tired

*Sili-cones = bolt on titties
Old Jan 11th 2006, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
I'm sure if you look hard enough Hallmark probably have a card for just such an occasion!!!!
I'm sure they do.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
and a whale tail

What is that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.