Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting Your Free US Credit Reports?

Getting Your Free US Credit Reports?

Old Apr 9th 2007, 4:19 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Getting Your Free US Credit Reports?

Since about 2006, residents in the US have been entitled to get free US credit reports from the three major credit bureaux. Have you been getting yours?

I only remembered to get two of them in 2006 but I got my TransUnion one earlier this year. I always thought TU's was the worst because it wasn't as up-to-date as Equifax and Experian but I'm happy to see that TransUnion has improved and that the 2007 credit report is pretty much up-to-date.

You can either get all three reports (one from each of the credit bureaux named above) at once or get each bureau's report separately. If you spread this out over the year, you can get a snapshot of your credit history, which I think is more useful than getting all three at once.

NC Penguin
Old Apr 9th 2007, 4:24 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Your Free US Credit Reports?

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Since about 2006, residents in the US have been entitled to get free US credit reports from the three major credit bureaux. Have you been getting yours?

I only remembered to get two of them in 2006 but I got my TransUnion one earlier this year. I always thought TU's was the worst because it wasn't as up-to-date as Equifax and Experian but I'm happy to see that TransUnion has improved and that the 2007 credit report is pretty much up-to-date.

You can either get all three reports (one from each of the credit bureaux named above) at once or get each bureau's report separately. If you spread this out over the year, you can get a snapshot of your credit history, which I think is more useful than getting all three at once.

NC Penguin
Just spent an hour or two on Saturday going over mine/ours actually. Though you have to $7.00 more to see your actual FICO score... odd.

www.annualcreditreport.com
Old Apr 9th 2007, 4:46 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
Just spent an hour or two on Saturday going over mine/ours actually. Though you have to $7.00 more to see your actual FICO score... odd.

An hour or TWO - OMG............. life's too short...
Old Apr 9th 2007, 4:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer

http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/...t-report_x.htm

quite a good article about it all, bit old though...
Old Apr 9th 2007, 5:36 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
An hour or TWO - OMG............. life's too short...

Agreeing with you just feels wrong.

But seriously - do people get some kind of sense of achievement or something if they get their score up to a certain level ??
Old Apr 9th 2007, 6:07 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG

Agreeing with you just feels wrong.

But seriously - do people get some kind of sense of achievement or something if they get their scores up to a certain level ??
not really a sense of acheivement, but a good score can makes things a lot easier

we are in the process of re-fiing our house, and bank of america who are giving us a replacement loan have only needed a payoff release form. No w2s, no tax returns, no pay stubs, nada - apparently all on the strength of the wifes credit (not a stated loan program)

when I met her she had some issues, but fixing those over the last couple of years has made her score(s) go from 660~ to 780~
Old Apr 9th 2007, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I used to think the same thing about transunion but they really seemed to have got their act together. They actually have one of the best monitoring services out there now. The best seems to be their $15 a month for unlimited access to all 3 credit reports and scores plus 24 hour monitoring, $25,000 identity theft insurance and a lot of very good tools. I keep thinking about it, but even for a quality service, $15 a month is $15 a month!
Old Apr 9th 2007, 6:46 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

i've got a FICO score in the 800's...i've always had a good rating in the UK and couldn't stand not having the same here so i played the FICO game...lol
Old Apr 9th 2007, 7:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I used to think the same thing about transunion but they really seemed to have got their act together. They actually have one of the best monitoring services out there now. The best seems to be their $15 a month for unlimited access to all 3 credit reports and scores plus 24 hour monitoring, $25,000 identity theft insurance and a lot of very good tools. I keep thinking about it, but even for a quality service, $15 a month is $15 a month!
your credit card probably already has you covered for that kind of level for free.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 7:07 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
your credit card probably already has you covered for that kind of level for free.
Yep - identity theft assistance is a joke, especially if you consider the fact that any "leaks" are quite likely to come from the people offering you the identity theft assistance in the first place.
Right up there with payment protection insurance and home warranties.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 7:29 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Yep - identity theft assistance is a joke, especially if you consider the fact that any "leaks" are quite likely to come from the people offering you the identity theft assistance in the first place.
I'm sure you're right.

Payment protection plans must be one of THE biggest legitimate scams.

But I know quite a few people who have home warranties. I remember looking into it briefly when we bought our house 5 years ago, but at the time I didn't think it's worth having. So what's the deal?
Old Apr 9th 2007, 7:34 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

yep agree with you there, i wouldn't waste my money.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

If thats what you think that's fair enough. It's not exactly the selling point for me either, but it's part of the package. I like the idea of knowing within 24 hours if something has happened to your report though, especially as its for all 3. Plus the scores are a nice little extra that can add up when you get your free reports if you choose to get them.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 7:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Aye, so true...it's the first thing they tell you to can when collections start calling...and it's surprising what kind of scams have come from those dodgy geezers that money help cover up....the stories my missus or a mate could tell...enough to put you even more off credit cards
Old Apr 9th 2007, 7:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
If thats what you think that's fair enough. It's not exactly the selling point for me either, but it's part of the package. I like the idea of knowing within 24 hours if something has happened to your report though, especially as its for all 3. Plus the scores are a nice little extra that can add up when you get your free reports if you choose to get them.
your credit card would tell you that anyway...they are more likely to be quick off the mark letting you know if you want them too, and it'll be free...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.