Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting to South Padre Island, TX

Getting to South Padre Island, TX

Old Jan 11th 2013, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting to South Padre Island, TX

Anybody got any bright ideas on how to get from the Los Angeles area to South Padre island relatively cheaply and easily with young kids in tow? I don't fancy a 24-hour drive, mainstream airlines are coming up with $550+ per person (x3 and a baby), and even Southwest is $500 to Brownsville or $300 to Houston. Amtrak (to Houston or San Antonio) doesn't arrive on the right days and is coming up with $2500 total (including family bedroom).

What's the drive like from Houston or San Antonio down there? Google says 6 and 5 hours respectively but are they relatively easy roads? Possibility of a cheap late night flight and an overnight drive down from Houston... maybe...

Wife's got a reunion in July there.

Thanks.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 3:02 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting to South Padre Island, TX

Do you know whereabouts on South Padre Island it is going to be?

A lot of folk around here (Katy, c.30 miles west of Houston), say they are going there, but what they actually mean is they are going to the northern end, just near Corpus Christi, which is about 3.5 hours away along reasonable roads - not Interstates, but decent dual carriageway, generally quiet.

If you're going to the southern end, near Port Isabel, its about 2-2.5 hours further, again on reasonable roads.

If you're flying into Bush Intercontinental, add close to an hour to those times (outside rush hour). If you're going in to Hobby, those times should be about right.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I've no idea where unfortunately. It's taken a week to determine that the "it's only an 8 hour drive" is complete nonsense (barely gets us to the far side of AZ, let alone inside TX) and a Google to find the actual destination. I must admit I hadn't realised that it could be a couple of hours from end to end though!

I have a nasty feeling that they will be camping. I hate camping. But that's what they tend to do.

Anyway, it looks a nice enough place to go for a week, yes? I was interested in crossing to Mexico for a day visit but not so sure after the warnings of doing so! (We should probably do Mexico properly rather than just border towns. Tijuana is only 3 hours from where we live but by all accounts isn't really Mexico either)

Thanks - that's helpful.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 1:40 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
I must admit I hadn't realised that it could be a couple of hours from end to end though!
Its a barrier island that stretches all the way from Corpus Christi down to pretty much the Mexican border. I think they are probably talking about going to South Padre the town itself, which is right at the southern end - ie the furthest from here.

I have a nasty feeling that they will be camping. I hate camping. But that's what they tend to do.

Anyway, it looks a nice enough place to go for a week, yes?
I guess it depends what you are looking for - lots of nice clean beach, water OK but not great - clean, but not the fluorescent blue of the gulf further east. Town itself is a typical tourist beach town.

We were there last spring break - I would never go again at Spring Break. Quite an eye opener, and I thought I was pretty broad minded. In a way it was reassuring (?) to see the youth of another nation behaving exactly in conformance to the reputation of English youth abroad....the upside was that the beaches were pretty deserted during the day (presumably they were all in darkened rooms sleeping off hangovers - wimps!) but everything started getting pretty raucous by late afternoon.

We had some good beach time, swimming/boogie boarding, fishing (boat and beach), dolphin watching. There was a water park close by, but we didn't go.

I was interested in crossing to Mexico for a day visit but not so sure after the warnings of doing so! (We should probably do Mexico properly rather than just border towns. Tijuana is only 3 hours from where we live but by all accounts isn't really Mexico either)
We've never crossed the border by land, so not sure what is close enough to be worth going to see - there may be something, but all we see is the "bad news" in the press. We've got some Mexican friends from Monterrey and they prefer to fly rather than drive. The only Mexico we've "done" was on cruises, and I'm sure the places they stop are about as typical of Mexico as Benidorm is of Spain....

Thanks - that's helpful.
Have fun!
Old Jan 11th 2013, 3:05 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

When we went to Padre Island it was red tide. Severely limited the amount of beach fun that could be had. We were nearer Corpus Christie so we went to the sealife centre and went on the big navy boat instead.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 3:36 pm

[QUOTE=GeoffM;10476634]
Originally Posted by Weeze
We were nearer Corpus Christie so we went to the sealife centre and went on the big navy boat instead.
"big navy boat" Boat? BOAT? You mean the USS Lexington - one of the most decorated aircraft carriers in the US Navy, and the oldest serving aircraft carrier in the world at the time she retired? That boat?

Yeah, its well worth a visit - my boys love it there (So do I). We're off with the Cub Pack for a sleepover there next month....shoudl be fun, although it is supposed to be haunted.......
Old Jan 11th 2013, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Weeze
When we went to Padre Island it was red tide. Severely limited the amount of beach fun that could be had. We were nearer Corpus Christie so we went to the sealife centre and went on the big navy boat instead.
<googles "red tide"> Ooh, that's not nice!
Old Jan 11th 2013, 7:03 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

It's on water so it's a boat. Don't mess with me. I have no voice and am feeling sorry for myself. The tourist information should be more specific about aircraft carriers not being very easy to get around. Mr Weeze had to get a pregnant Weeze and a 3 year old up and down ladders.

The guidance we got from the park ranger was don't let the dog in the water, don't let the kid play on the sand, go nowhere near froth and avoid dead fish and gulls. With a hyper collie that's had seen the beach in the trunk and a 3 year old carrying a bucket a spade, it was a bit of a disappointment!
Old Jan 11th 2013, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Keith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to all

If it is the south end of S Padre check flights into Harlingen airport, it's the biggest for that region. From San Antonio it is a comfortable drive on good roads.
A safe (if there ever is one into Mexico) crossing in the area is at Progresso. Very touristy and popular with us winter texans. Be very, very wary about crossing at any other point.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Also remember July is hurricane season. It is quite early for major storms but it can happen.Even tropical depressions can cause havoc and fear. Will you be somewhere where you can "hunker down"
Old Jan 11th 2013, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Also remember July is hurricane season. It is quite early for major storms but it can happen.Even tropical depressions can cause havoc and fear. Will you be somewhere where you can "hunker down"
Eek. This place is not getting any better! The tent idea (if indeed it is one - still unsure as to where and what) sounds even more appalling!
Old Jan 12th 2013, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Re: Getting to South Padre Island, TX

Anybody got any bright ideas on how to get from the Los Angeles area to South Padre island relatively cheaply and easily with young kids in tow? I don't fancy a 24-hour drive, mainstream airlines are coming up with $550+ per person (x3 and a baby), and even Southwest is $500 to Brownsville or $300 to Houston. Amtrak (to Houston or San Antonio) doesn't arrive on the right days and is coming up with $2500 total (including family bedroom).

What's the drive like from Houston or San Antonio down there? Google says 6 and 5 hours respectively but are they relatively easy roads? Possibility of a cheap late night flight and an overnight drive down from Houston... maybe...

Wife's got a reunion in July there.

Thanks.

I had driven to South Parde from Dallas twice. Each time with a stopover in Sanantonio. The drive is very easy. never had any congestion. Came back via 77 which was a little slower. One thing I would encourage you to do is to keep your passport with you if you are on 77 since they have aborder check point there, for border jumpers, so you may need it. If you are a Brit that is.
If you have kids you must visit San Antonio River Walk and Sea World. attractions not to be missed.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 1:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gezza
I had driven to South Parde from Dallas twice. Each time with a stopover in Sanantonio. The drive is very easy. never had any congestion. Came back via 77 which was a little slower. One thing I would encourage you to do is to keep your passport with you if you are on 77 since they have aborder check point there, for border jumpers, so you may need it. If you are a Brit that is.
If you have kids you must visit San Antonio River Walk and Sea World. attractions not to be missed.
Not a passport but proof of Green Card, there are many check points in that area and if you cannot show them your Green Card then can take serious action against you ( throw you in immigration detention until Green Card is produced!)

Geoff....you trip to South Padre sounds better and better
Old Jan 12th 2013, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gezza
If you have kids you must visit San Antonio River Walk
Ah yes, I went there years ago, pre-wife.

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Not a passport but proof of Green Card, there are many check points in that area and if you cannot show them your Green Card then can take serious action against you ( throw you in immigration detention until Green Card is produced!)

Geoff....you trip to South Padre sounds better and better
Proof of card or the card itself? Actually we carry ours around with us anyway, like we're apparently supposed to! Thanks for the tip, both of you.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 3:17 am
Account Closed

Ah yes, I went there years ago, pre-wife.

Proof of card or the card itself? Actually we carry ours around with us anyway, like we're apparently supposed to! Thanks for the tip, both of you.
That's good because when they ask if you are a US citizen and you say no you have to have the card with you.....(a lesson we learned many many years ago, after a lecture and a 30 minute wait while they checked us out and then let us go we always made sure we had our cards with us like you are supposed too.....oh those were the days!!! lol)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.