Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

getting settled in the DFW area

getting settled in the DFW area

Old Jul 29th 2003, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Jo Brayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default getting settled in the DFW area

the wheels are in motion for the first stage of our move to Texas. We have sbrayne's I-130 and will be activating it this November. He works in IT and does computer installs and support, upgrades, etc. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has relocated to the DFW area, and how they found it getting adjusted (to the heat!), shopping, finding work, buying a car etc. sbrayne will have his social security number generated when we visit in November and get it a few weeks later, and I haven't lived in the US for over 7 years, so getting ANY kind of lending should be interesting. We have a Remax mortgage agent who's working to find us something, I'm sure he will!

Edited to add that, also if anyone knows of any "import" shops in the area that woud sell things like PG tips, cider (the proper kind!), mint sauce, Hobnobs and the like, that would be great!! Even as an American, I've got my affections for a little British fayre......

Last edited by Jo Brayne; Jul 29th 2003 at 4:02 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2003, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Harry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the roughHarry is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: getting settled in the DFW area

Hi Jo,
You're talking to the right person! I moved to the DFW area from England about 15 months ago to be with my wife (then fiancee). Getting adjusted...well, the heat's pretty bad right now..about 95-100 degrees and a fair bit of humidity, ouch! I was very lucky with work...I work in computer animation. All during 2001 - the year I was visiting like crazy - I went and talked to computer animation companies. The result was that I got a job at a not so great company within a month..not so great, but it was an absolute Godsend in that it got the money coming in right when we needed it. About eight months after that I switched jobs to a really awesome company, and they have just recently given me a permanent position after 4 or 5 months of freelancing with them. So, I'd say if you guys have any visits planned before the big move, go and talk to some companies. It probably won't land a job right then and there, but it gives you a great springboard for when you get here.
Buying a car...I still probably couldn't get enough credit to get a new one by myself, though I'm getting closer with the whole credit building issue. I bought a second hand car for $1500 cash (a 93 Nissan Altima), and even though I've pumped another thou or so into repairs, etc, it's been a pretty good deal so far. Except now the AC's gone out...*sweats thinking about it*. But anyway, I figure that by the time this one gives up the ghost, my credit will be good enough to get a new one.
English fayre...there's a great place called Central Market that carries a lot of English stuff. There's one in Dallas itself, and another in Plano.
Anyway, best of luck with the move!

-Harry
Old Jul 30th 2003, 3:40 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: getting settled in the DFW area

Glad to hear that things are progressing. In addition to the previous post, there is also a Central Market in Fort Worth at I30 and Hulen. At the Rail Market in downtown FW there is a British Store too which is small but pretty good.

It's very hot just now and the worst is apparently to come in August. Also, I've started getting sinus headaches because the air quality is so bad!

These jobsites may be of use as a starter, they're from the main Metroplex newspapers:

http://www.careerbuilder.com
http://jobcenter.dallasnews.com

Best of luck!
Old Jul 30th 2003, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

We've been here for four months now. Just about coping with the heat. Central Market is great - it has heinz baked beans! There is a shop I have heard of but have yet to try - this is their site, http://www.worldservice-uk.com - friends of ours who moved out just after us have been and say it's great.

Our parents arrive tomorrow with a suitcase full of chocolate - yay!!!