Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting paid from the US while in the UK

Getting paid from the US while in the UK

Old Apr 17th 2007, 3:04 am
Just Joined

DavidM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting paid from the US while in the UK

Does anyone have any tips on this? I'm an IT consultant on my way back to the UK but US client wants me to work remote from the UK and still pay me in dollars. Are the Cayman Islands nice this time of year?
Old Apr 17th 2007, 8:38 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting paid from the US while in the UK

Originally Posted by DavidM
Does anyone have any tips on this? I'm an IT consultant on my way back to the UK but US client wants me to work remote from the UK and still pay me in dollars. Are the Cayman Islands nice this time of year?
no, they are crap, along with all the other offshore places.

i thought about having my UK income paid into an off shore account but after some cursory research realised that the IRS had browbeaten all the banks into giving them all the info they needed. it may be the same for the inland revenue (or whatever they call themselves these days)
Old Apr 17th 2007, 5:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

XE.com and pay direct?

Though tax would be interesting.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
XE.com and pay direct?

Though tax would be interesting.
Yeah & with the exchange rate as it is *ouch*
Old Apr 18th 2007, 10:28 pm
thanks for all the fish !

Richardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud of

Hi,

I'm doing the same thing as you, as a contractual Network Engineer, just the other other way round- UK to USA !

As far as transfering money is concerned I've been using XE.com after Bob's recommendation some time ago and it's very good.

I've just managed to transfer to the USA via Harvey Nash so avoided the new legislation against umbrella companies - which was close !

I don't know how long you've been away, but the UK is becoming so bureaucratic I'm very please to be out of there.

R./