Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting my American son a British passport

Getting my American son a British passport

Old Sep 4th 2008, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

steve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nice
Default Getting my American son a British passport

My wife is American, I'm British with a green card. We had a baby last year. He was born here.
We already got him his US passport, as we are visiting England next month. It is my simple understanding that our son can claim dual citizenship. I would, at some point, like to get him a British passport. Although it's not a priority right now, I would like him to have that flexibility in the future, i.e. traveling around Europe unhindered, university, whatever. We have no intention of ever living in the UK, but I would like the option to be available to him in the future.

Is it worth registering him with the British Embassy now? Will this make it easier to get his passport later on?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old Sep 4th 2008, 9:12 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting my American son a British passport

Originally Posted by steve100100
Is it worth registering him with the British Embassy now? Will this make it easier to get his passport later on?
yeah.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 9:50 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I speak English ...Yes .
Old Sep 4th 2008, 9:58 pm
\o/

OiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud of

My wife is American, I'm British with a green card. We had a baby last year. He was born here.
We already got him his US passport, as we are visiting England next month. It is my simple understanding that our son can claim dual citizenship. I would, at some point, like to get him a British passport. Although it's not a priority right now, I would like him to have that flexibility in the future, i.e. traveling around Europe unhindered, university, whatever. We have no intention of ever living in the UK, but I would like the option to be available to him in the future.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!
I would do it. I still need to do my kids. Its a bit pricey at approx $250 a kid.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll expand on Manc's answer.

Yes, and hell yes!
Old Sep 4th 2008, 10:55 pm
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't registered my U.S. born kid yet...probably should though. I do want to get her a U.K. passport sometime soon. I don't think you have to register them though, guess it just makes things easier down the road?
Naomi.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 11:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The reason why, makes it easier for them to prove they are eligble for a Brit passport if they lose theirs down the line, especially when you kick the bucket.

If your only going for a holiday to the UK, you can use your US passport though.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

My kids all have British and US passports and I'm in the process of spending a fortune on renewing one of them right now. They were all born in the UK.

What would happen if I didn't bother keeping their UK passports up to date?

I'm assuming they could still go to the UK on holiday and they would still qualify for a British passport in future? Would they need visas to visit Europe?

I'm trying to see the advantage of keeping their British passports up to date while we're living in the US long term, other than being able to visit Cuba...
Old Sep 5th 2008, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Once they have a British passport, it's easy to prove they are a citizen, whether the passport is still in date or not, hence it's easy to renew it.

The problems start when you need to prove citizenship in the first place. Hence the registration with the consulate being a good idea for new borns.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OiOi
I would do it. I still need to do my kids. Its a bit pricey at approx $250 a kid.
Registering a birth is $184 now. Still not cheap though.

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...-registration/
Old Sep 5th 2008, 7:50 pm
\o/

OiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by danfan
Registering a birth is $184 now. Still not cheap though.

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...-registration/
You are correct. But what i can't understand is why anyone would need to get a copy of the entry, especially for $118.00 per copy.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

You are correct. But what i can't understand is why anyone would need to get a copy of the entry, especially for $118.00 per copy.
I dunno. That doesn't make it very pricey though. Isn't that similar getting a copy of your birth certificate or US citizenship certificate? For example, my DD is on my naturalization application and if I want a certificate for her I think it's $400 or something. I probably don't need to get her one, I just feel like I should.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 8:51 pm
\o/

Originally Posted by danfan
I dunno. That doesn't make it very pricey though. Isn't that similar getting a copy of your birth certificate or US citizenship certificate? For example, my DD is on my naturalization application and if I want a certificate for her I think it's $400 or something. I probably don't need to get her one, I just feel like I should.
I can understand getting copies of birth certificates and the like because they can be used for many different things. But registering the birth of your kids with the consulate is just for the sole purpose of making it easier for your kids to prove UK citizenship by dissent.

And why a copy should cost over a $100 is beyond me.

They know we have already left rip off Britain and yet here they are on the take for every last bit they can get.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 9:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I can understand getting copies of birth certificates and the like because they can be used for many different things. But registering the birth of your kids with the consulate is just for the sole purpose of making it easier for your kids to prove UK citizenship by dissent.

And why a copy should cost over a $100 is beyond me.

They know we have already left rip off Britain and yet here they are on the take for every last bit they can get.
Birth certs don't state citizenship generally over here, so it's worth getting it registered, makes it easier for the kid down the line to show proof they can get a Brit passport if they lose theirs and your dead, simple as that really.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Birth certs don't state citizenship generally over here, so it's worth getting it registered, makes it easier for the kid down the line to show proof they can get a Brit passport if they lose theirs and your dead, simple as that really.
I keep hearing this argument and can see that a passport is more likely to be lost/stolen/whatever than a birth certificate. But unless the British Government fails to keep records of previously issued passports, is it really a big deal getting one replaced under those circumstances?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.