British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Getting money back from EB-5 investment (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/getting-money-back-eb-5-investment-759760/)

411 Jun 12th 2012 10:54 pm

Re: Getting money back from EB-5 investment

The drivers license and ssn I would have thought was insufficient to determine nationality especially as I have both and I am not a resident but the M 274 is new to me. I would hope my request for these documents to satisfy the EB5 requirements would not be deemed improper.
I wander if the improper could be interpreted as the way in which it is requested rather than the fact it has been requested.

The case law link is very interesting the petitioner submitted a 4 page business plan...ironically the petition was originally approved.
it says alot of what is required in a business plan which is very useful however I find the document misleading to suggest that all of los angeles county is in an area of high unemployment, beverly hills? Santa monica ??

Mr Folinsky can you share what line of business this client was in. Im keen on knowing all staff intensive business models. That was an inspiring story and I am aiming not to just get a GC from all of this but some small change as well :p

Steve_ Jun 13th 2012 6:33 pm

Well the M-274 manual is something anyone running a business in the US should read as it is a pretty good HR guide actually, covers a lot of the US employment laws. You can get a printed copy for free if you order it from the USCIS website.

james58 Jun 13th 2012 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by 411 (Post 10094537)
Well sunset for the EB5 is september hopefully I can get my EB5 application shoved in before then :sneaky:
I agree return is most important, im buying undervalued commercial real estate as part of the required $500K investment. I purchased a 2500sf building 4 miles from LAX for $170K working on a short sale chiropractors office on 7500 sf lot close by. Once I get that ill put my business plan together. Exit strategy? appreciated real estate. Rate of return? entirely up to how hard I intend to work the business... but Im almost certain that it will be above 4% considering that just leasing either premises gives a yield of about 11%

Newbie here. If my EB-5 Petition is filed before the Sept. 30th cut-off date, will they process it even if the program expires? Also, how do you get the 10 jobs out of a deal like you describe?

411 Jun 13th 2012 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by james58 (Post 10117581)
Newbie here. If my EB-5 Petition is filed before the Sept. 30th cut-off date, will they process it even if the program expires?

Apparently the Sept. deadline doesn't apply to individual EB5 applicants who are not using a regional centre

Also, how do you get the 10 jobs out of a deal like you describe?

assisted living require 24hr cover. This means about 5 or 6 care givers will be required over various shifts for the 168 hr week however in addition you need drivers, admin staff, chef etc. or you could have 2 centers. You would probably break even over the 2 years but at least you have the real estate.

james58 Jun 13th 2012 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by 411 (Post 10117644)
Apparently the Sept. deadline doesn't apply to individual EB5 applicants who are not using a regional centre

assisted living require 24hr cover. This means about 5 or 6 care givers will be required over various shifts for the 168 hr week however in addition you need drivers, admin staff, chef etc. or you could have 2 centers. You would probably break even over the 2 years but at least you have the real estate.

Ah, thank you. That makes sense.

scrubbedexpat099 Jun 13th 2012 11:10 pm

There was an interesting article a month or so back in either the Telegraph or the Guardian about the UK Sector.

Now obviously very different but basically how state paid occupants were supported by private occupants. And how few actually broke even never mind money.

411 Jun 14th 2012 4:57 am

I can believe that, the key is in how many occupants you have in one location. A single family residence in california can have no more than 6 occupants however some commercial zoned properties can have many more. So you will find that 5 care givers looking after 6 occupants will yield much lower than the same 5 care givers looking after a building with about 50 - 100 occupants and they are often stretched to do so at least during the night shifts!

scrubbedexpat099 Jun 14th 2012 5:28 am

With Employees comes all sorts of costs and issues.

Steve_ Jun 14th 2012 6:28 pm

Newbie here. If my EB-5 Petition is filed before the Sept. 30th cut-off date, will they process it even if the program expires?

No-one knows for sure because there have to be regulations made to end it, but the answer is probably yes, because by definition you applied before the programme ended. And this is only for the regional centers. In any event it looks as though it will be re-authorized.

411 Jun 14th 2012 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 10118131)
With Employees comes all sorts of costs and issues.

Ah! but would you rather hand some 3rd party in the name of an RC, $540K to deal will those employee cost and issues.

Steve_ Jun 15th 2012 12:52 am

Clearly not, based on what I've read on here!

411 Aug 12th 2012 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 10117338)
Well the M-274 manual is something anyone running a business in the US should read as it is a pretty good HR guide actually, covers a lot of the US employment laws. You can get a printed copy for free if you order it from the USCIS website.

I never bothered to get the M-274 as a HR guide. I just decided to go ahead and look for the employees. The application form which I have designed and uploaded to this link hiring seems to request absolutely everything which I will need during removal of conditions, from the employees. My attorney really has pushed me a fair bit by making me put my website together before filing the EB5. At this rate I will have employees lined up before I even submit my application. I guess I now just have to find my clients one way or the other...so far the process for me has been 95% about setting up and running a business and 5% trying to get a visa.

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 12th 2012 9:55 pm

Sounds back to front.

411 Aug 12th 2012 10:22 pm

from the stats, i526 approval rates are falling consecutively despite increasing receipts so I guess something needs to change to increase visa approval chances approvals