Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting married on ESTA & returning to the UK.

Getting married on ESTA & returning to the UK.

Old Feb 6th 2012, 3:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married on ESTA & returning to the UK.

Originally Posted by markusm15
During this time I would be in the process of applying for US citizenship after getting married, that's all understood.
Not quite. You'll be in the process of applying for an immigrant visa. US citizenship doesn't come until much further down the road.

The question I'm asking is what will my wife need to be doing to be able to stay in the UK until my degree is finished?
If she wants to stay longer than the 6 months allowed as a tourist, she will need to apply for a visa for a more permanent stay (after you get married). Since this forum is for answering questions relating to immigrating to the USA (rather than the UK), I suggest asking this question over at www.uk-yankee.com. They have a forum similar to this one, but for going to the UK.

Rene
Old Feb 6th 2012, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

markusm15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah yes, should've clarified I was aware of that. Thanks for the reminder anyway mate.

As for your point on my wife, that might actually be a decent plan. To be honest, the only things that'll be holding me in the UK are my degree and the waiting time for the visa, and we're pretty accustomed to spending time apart from each other (as much as it sucks).
Old Feb 6th 2012, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Also you will need a sponsor that makes at least 125% of the poverty level (125% for the sponsor plus dependents plus the immigrant) for the visa to be approved. If your wife is going to be that sponsor, she will need to remain in the US being employed to sponsor you. If someone else is going to be a joint sponsor, then she will not need to remain in the US.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 4:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

markus,

Just so you can have some dates in mind: If you marry and get the I-130 filed in Sept 2012, you can expect to get your Immigrant Visa around May - July 2013. The visa is good for 6 months after issue. I just didn't want you to think you'll get your visa for sure in May...it could take longer and could be more like July.

Rene
Old Feb 6th 2012, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

Also I'd really like something clarified because I've heard so many different opinions on the matter. When the customs officer asks why I'm over in America, do I just tell him I'm getting married?
Old Feb 6th 2012, 4:45 pm

Also I'd really like something clarified because I've heard so many different opinions on the matter. When the customs officer asks why I'm over in America, do I just tell him I'm getting married?
Rule of thumb is to only answer the specific question asked. Offer no further information unless specifically asked. For example, if the officer asks "do you know what time it is"? The correct answers are "yes" or "no", not "It's 9:45".

If you do mention getting married, make sure you know how the visa process works, so that you can eloquently let the officer know your specific plans. Make sure you bring proof of your need to be back in the UK by a specific date.

Rene
Old Feb 6th 2012, 4:46 pm

If you have specific questions on the Immigrant Visa, or how that process is done, how it works, the forms, etc...you should ask those over in the US Marriage-Based Visa forum, please.

Thank you
Rene
Old Feb 6th 2012, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Yeah, I heard I'm just to answer what's asked. Presumably if the officer asks what the purpose of my visit is I just say 'I'm getting married to American fiancee' and take it from there?
Old Feb 6th 2012, 5:17 pm

Yeah, I heard I'm just to answer what's asked. Presumably if the officer asks what the purpose of my visit is I just say 'I'm getting married to American fiancee' and take it from there?
This thread will probably help you: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=746909

Rene
Old Feb 6th 2012, 7:17 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... I just say 'I'm getting married to American fiancee' and take it from there?
If you're going to blurt it out, it'd be better to say "I'm getting married to my American fiancee, and then I'm applying for a CR-1 visa."

Ian