Reload this Page >

Getting a Maine driver's license and vehicle registration

Getting a Maine driver's license and vehicle registration

Old Oct 20th 2016, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

moving is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a Maine driver's license and vehicle registration

Hi,

Will be moving to Maine and so need to change my Ontario driver's license? Do I need to get any papers from Ontario regarding my driver's license. Will that make the process easier? Same for the vehicle as well. Should I get anything from Ontario?

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 20th 2016, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a Maine driver's license and vehicle registration

If you could write and send your post then I'm sure you know how to use Google. As a courtesy I've done it for you.

http://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/licenses/convert.html
Old Oct 20th 2016, 11:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

For registering your vehicle, bring your car title.
Old Oct 20th 2016, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

Hi..thank you for the link. I did check that link. Sorry for the confusion. I meant, should I be getting a clearance/verification letter from Ontario. I could not find that section which says whether an individual should get a clearance/verification letter. Some states do not honor a verification letter and prefer doing their own verification, while others would prefer a clearance/verification letter since the process becomes faster. Which section of the link has that information?

Thanks.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 4:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

When hubby exchanged his Canadian driver's license for a New York State driver's license, he was not asked for a letter of verification. In fact, GEICO, who was at the time our car insurance provider, didn't ask for his Canadian's driving record either. BTW not that I'm an ignorant person, but what is this verification letter verifying? That you have a license? The length of time you held the license? Any points on your license for DUI or other traffic violations? Assuming that NYS and Maine are border states to Canada and you have to given them your license when you get the state license, if they want to know anything they will ask the province directly.

If it is not asked for on the Maine website, then it is relatively safe to say it is not a requirement.

As for the vehicle, he did have to get a letter of compliance from the car's manufacturer in order to register it in NYS. Unfortunately, the Eagle did not have the five point seat belts that NYS required and he was unable to register his vehicle and had to return it to Canada and buy a new car down here.

Last edited by Rete; Oct 21st 2016 at 4:56 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 4:57 pm
Concierge

This post would be better served in the USA forum. I'm going to ask that a moderator transfer it for you.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 5:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
This post would be better served in the USA forum. I'm going to ask that a moderator transfer it for you.
Abracadabra.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 8:52 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Abracadabra.
A WITCH! * Points *
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea what the answer is to your questions - sorry.

But am curious and wondering where you're moving to in Maine, and wanted to say welcome.

I'm just north of Portland. It's wonderful here.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

bangor....any idea which cell phone company i should be going with in terms of reception...
Old Oct 25th 2016, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moving
bangor....any idea which cell phone company i should be going with in terms of reception...
For Maine you want to be with Verizon, AT&T or possibly US Cellular (although they're even more expensive and have limited native coverage).

T-Mobile and Sprint are fairly useless outside a few of the big cities in Maine.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 2:34 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
I .... am curious and wondering where you're moving to in Maine, and wanted to say welcome. ....
They have a job offer, starting January 2.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olly_
For Maine you want to be with Verizon, AT&T or possibly US Cellular (although they're even more expensive and have limited native coverage).

T-Mobile and Sprint are fairly useless outside a few of the big cities in Maine.
Yes - we were up in Eastport/Lubec recently and the only thing that worked there was US Cellular, but other than that I've generally found AT&T or Verizon are fine until you go out into the woods, then nothing.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

I haven't been into Bangor itself - only ever driven past or stayed briefly at the Holiday Inn on the way to events at UMaine in Orono. But you're close to loads of great outdoor areas there. We just came back from a beautiful weekend in Acadia.

I recommend Bangor Savings Bank BTW.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 4:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moving
For Bangor, US Cellular have best coverage and coverage in general.

Verizon, has been shit outside of the main cities and outside of I-95/295 corridor. AT&T/T-Mobile are on par but have been marginally better in the middle of no where towns.

For banking, Camden National and TD will be most convenient for locations, but also Bangor Savings, as mentioned.

Bangor is a fun little town and does a good job of taking care of the snow and even has a half decent bus service. Orono, next door is a very cute, little town that a lot of the university staff live in and it's got the original Pat's Pizza, which is pretty fun. Plenty of brew pubs in the area too.

Loads to do in the area. Not far from Ellesworth for the outlet LL Bean store, you've got Searsport/Belfast for some fun stuff on the ocean and nice bars plus all those coastal towns along Rt1 are generally nice. The original Fort Knox and the bridge onto Prospect/Verona Island has a cool view.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.