Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting the kids a passport

Getting the kids a passport

Old Sep 6th 2014, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting the kids a passport

Originally Posted by Rickyk
I waited until they were 16 as then the passport is valid for 10 years.
We never registered the births just applied for passports. Funny thing was that my wife renewed hers at the same time as the kids applied and the kids arrived a few weeks before hers.
Cheers for that. It seems there really is no advantage to registering.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 6:48 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewildering
Cheers for that. It seems there really is no advantage to registering.
And as you're an Irish citizen, your kids and their future generations will be able to retain Irish citizenship as long as they register on the Foreign Births Register. Why Britain doesn't allow this, effectively stopping British citizenship for third generation born children is beyond me.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigK
Is there any benefits to getting them UK passports now?
Can't think of any. Anyone under 16 will only get a 5 year passport (unless they are within a few weeks of becoming 16). If they are going to get one, better to wait until they are 16 when they can get 10 year passports.

Up until what age can they get UK passports (while keeping US of course)?
They are UK citizens so can get a UK passport any time up until they die or renounce UK citizenship.

What benefits can the kids obtain from having a UK passport?
The ability to live/work/travel freely in the UK and other parts of the EU. The UK passport might also be better for travelling to certain countries i.e. visa free travel and/or able to stay longer. Can also obtain travel assistance from UK embassies and consulates.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 10:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
...Why Britain doesn't allow this, effectively stopping British citizenship for third generation born children is beyond me.
Because they don't want those with no connection having a easy right to move back to the UK and mooch I suppose. Or get pensions etc. Whether right or wrong.