British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Getting the kids a passport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/getting-kids-passport-842527/)

BigK Sep 5th 2014 2:30 pm

Getting the kids a passport

Ok, so I would like to get opinions from the forum here to determine if I should go for the process of getting my kids UK passports now or not.

Me: UK born and citizen of UK, now dual-citizen of the US
Husband: US citizen (no UK residency history, etc.)
Kids: Born in the US, US citizens. Their birth was not registered at the UK embassy. They are now 13 and 10.

I have always wanted them to be dual-citizens, in the event they ever wanted to travel to or live in UK for education, etc. We have no plans to move to the UK anytime (but never say never). we do however, travel to the UK annually

My questions are:
Is there any benefits to getting them UK passports now?
Up until what age can they get UK passports (while keeping US of course)?
What benefits can the kids obtain from having a UK passport?

I am just throwing this out there to become a bit smarter about the whole thing.

Thank you

Bob Sep 5th 2014 2:54 pm

Re: Getting the kids a passport

They are UK citizens.

They can get a UK passport whenever they want.

Proof of UK citizenship can get complicated with time, so registering the births with consulate is worth doing but don't bother with the certificate. You can get that from the GRO later, for cheaper.

They only need a US passport to travel, so stick with that and get a UK one if you plan to move back. Kids passports aren't valid for that long plus they're expensive, not as expensive as they used to be now they're all processed in the UK, but still expensive.

Plenty of threads on the subject that go into more details.

BigK Sep 5th 2014 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 11393756)
They are UK citizens.

Proof of UK citizenship can get complicated with time, so registering the births with consulate is worth doing but don't bother with the certificate. You can get that from the GRO later, for cheaper.

They only need a US passport to travel, so stick with that and get a UK one if you plan to move back. Kids passports aren't valid for that long plus they're expensive, not as expensive as they used to be now they're all processed in the UK, but still expensive.

Thank you, that's kind of what I am thinking. What is the process of getting the registration through the GRO now that they are 13 and 10? What is required? I looked through the GRO website and cannot see how to register an overseas birth (especially after 10-13 yrs)

Thanks

sir_eccles Sep 5th 2014 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by BigK (Post 11393766)
Thank you, that's kind of what I am thinking. What is the process of getting the registration through the GRO now that they are 13 and 10? What is required? I looked through the GRO website and cannot see how to register an overseas birth (especially after 10-13 yrs)

Thanks

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth

The trick such a long time after the birth is having copies of the birth certificates that were issued at the time of the birth. They get suspicious of Certs printed later due to adoptions that essentially destroy the original. Extra evidence may be needed.

BigK Sep 5th 2014 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11393809)
https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth

The trick such a long time after the birth is having copies of the birth certificates that were issued at the time of the birth. They get suspicious of Certs printed later due to adoptions that essentially destroy the original. Extra evidence may be needed.

Thanks. i have all original US birth certs from the time of birth

bewildering Sep 5th 2014 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 11393756)
They are UK citizens.

A follow up question. I have UK, Irish and USA citizenship. And I have a US born daughter.

Does anyone know if it is cheaper to register my child with Ireland, rather than the UK?

Bob Sep 5th 2014 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by bewildering (Post 11393852)

Does anyone know if it is cheaper to register my child with Ireland, rather than the UK?

No idea...google will have the exact costs I'm sure.

bewildering Sep 5th 2014 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 11393865)
No idea...google will have the exact costs I'm sure.

I tried google. I just seem to get directed to applying for a passport. Perhaps Ireland does not have a system for registering a foreign birth.

hungryhorace Sep 5th 2014 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by bewildering (Post 11393852)
A follow up question. I have UK, Irish and USA citizenship. And I have a US born daughter.

Yes. It t is much cheaper (and quicker) to go through the Irish Consulate than perform the run around the British government now asks you to do.

You need to make sure your children are registered on the Foreign Births Registrar if you are NOT a natural born Irish citizen, however. It's worth doing, because your Irish (ie, EU) citizenship can be continually passed down throughout the generations.

hungryhorace Sep 5th 2014 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by bewildering (Post 11393889)
I tried google. I just seem to get directed to applying for a passport. Perhaps Ireland does not have a system for registering a foreign birth.

I don't know what you googled, as it's the top search result:
https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizen...foreign-birth/

bewildering Sep 5th 2014 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 11393966)
I don't know what you googled, as it's the top search result:
https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizen...foreign-birth/

I saw that, but under fees it says if you were born abroad to go your countries Irish embassy. The Irish embassy in the US provides fee information about applying for a passport, not registering a birth. For registering a birth the embassy links back to the link above. Stuck in a loop.

hungryhorace Sep 6th 2014 12:32 am

Originally Posted by bewildering (Post 11394156)
I saw that, but under fees it says if you were born abroad to go your countries Irish embassy. The Irish embassy in the US provides fee information about applying for a passport, not registering a birth. For registering a birth the embassy links back to the link above. Stuck in a loop.

I'n not sure what there is to be confused about? Complete the Foreign Births Registrar application. Send it to the local Irish consulate with required paperwork / documentation. Done.

You know you can always just phone the local consulate and ask them? Unlike the British consulate, the Irish will just pick up the phone and allow you to speak to a real human!

JAJ Sep 6th 2014 3:26 am

Originally Posted by bewildering (Post 11394156)

Ireland doesn't have a system of consular birth registration. Normally, a person with an Irish born parent would simply apply for a passport.

The Irish do have a system of Foreign Birth Registration, which is normally a way for those with an Irish grandparent to acquire Irish citizenship. Not sure if it's possible for those who already Irish citizens to register this way, as an option to have an additional proof of citizenship.

You say you're an Irish citizen, but where were you born?

As for British citizenship, it would be recommended at least to get consular birth certificates, as proof of citizenship. Normally you would want to register/document both citizenships.

bewildering Sep 6th 2014 5:36 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 11394320)
Ireland doesn't have a system of consular birth registration. Normally, a person with an Irish born parent would simply apply for a passport.

The Irish do have a system of Foreign Birth Registration, which is normally a way for those with an Irish grandparent to acquire Irish citizenship. Not sure if it's possible for those who already Irish citizens to register this way, as an option to have an additional proof of citizenship.

You say you're an Irish citizen, but where were you born?

As for British citizenship, it would be recommended at least to get consular birth certificates, as proof of citizenship. Normally you would want to register/document both citizenships.

Thanks JAJ,
I was born in Belfast, which is considered Ireland, and part of the UK. I have a British and Irish passport.

I just wondered about registering my US-born daughter, but there does not seem to be much point. She can just get a passport herself in 17 years if she fancies it.

Rickyk Sep 6th 2014 4:18 pm

I waited until they were 16 as then the passport is valid for 10 years.
We never registered the births just applied for passports. Funny thing was that my wife renewed hers at the same time as the kids applied and the kids arrived a few weeks before hers.