Getting a job in USA whilst still in the UK - after getting green cards

Old May 4th 2011, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

smonica is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a job in USA whilst still in the UK - after getting green cards

Hi all,

I am new here.

I wonder if you could help me.

We (couple) have just got our green cards and we are now looking to go to the States. We don't really mind the state at the moment as we will have to go wherever jobs take us.

What is the best way of applying for a job there (we have only UK experience and Bachelors and Masters Degree - NO USA experience)? I have been looking online in the usual job boards; agencies and so on and direct to companies but I am afraid the fact we don't have USA experience might work against us.

Any tips?

Is it better to use a USA address and phone number on the one page resume or should we mention that we are in the UK? We are not looking for them to pay for relocation as we will move anyway but we need to know the best way to approach them. We have already got SS/bank accounts/Drivers license/ from our previous visit to get the greencard. So we don't need to worry about these issues.

Is it better to volunteer somewhere first or work somewhere in a Bar or restaurant (even though it has nothing to do with our field) just to get some contacts and experience in the USA?

Can anyone recommend any good agencies for the energy sector (husband) and legal/banking (me)?

Appreciate any advice and help.

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Monica
(p.s. - sorry for the long post and for any typos (toddler messing with me whilst I am writing )
Old May 4th 2011, 5:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a job in USA whilst still in the UK - after getting green cards

Originally Posted by smonica
We (couple) have just got our green cards and we are now looking to go to the States.
I see by reading further that you entered the USA using Immigrant Visas and are now US PRs with green cards. I assume you are back in the UK to tie up loose ends for a brief time before heading over permanently to the USA. Either way, the USA is now your permanent home, and you are currently visiting the UK.

What is the best way of applying for a job there (we have only UK experience and Bachelors and Masters Degree - NO USA experience)? I have been looking online in the usual job boards; agencies and so on and direct to companies but I am afraid the fact we don't have USA experience might work against us.
There is no "best" way...sounds like you are doing all the right things. Yes, having no USA experience might work against you.

Any tips?
In my opinion, it's better to already be in the USA when job hunting, that way you can easily attend an interview, a call won't be long distance, the employer won't think you need a work visa, etc.

Is it better to use a USA address and phone number on the one page resume
Definitely!! Besides which, your USA address and phone number is really your current information anyway. Why would you want to put outdated information on a resume, such as an old UK address (since the UK is no longer your permanent residence)?

or should we mention that we are in the UK?
I wouldn't. There's no need to mention you are temporarily visiting the UK at this time. It doesn't add anything to your resume, and it most likely makes is less attractive. It's just not pertinent information for a resume.

Is it better to volunteer somewhere first or work somewhere in a Bar or restaurant (even though it has nothing to do with our field) just to get some contacts and experience in the USA?
Volunteering in your field of work would be a good idea to make contacts and gain US experience. Working in a bar or restaurant, if it's not your field of work, doesn't gain you much except to help your cash flow while you're job hunting.

Rene
Old May 4th 2011, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Getting a job in USA whilst still in the UK - after getting green cards

Thanks Rene,

You are right it looks like I am still thinking like I am in the UK . Didn't realize I was doing that.

I will use our USA details and will look to start once I am there in a few weeks, as soon as we tie all our loose ends here.

Thanks again.

Kind regards

Monica

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I see by reading further that you entered the USA using Immigrant Visas and are now US PRs with green cards. I assume you are back in the UK to tie up loose ends for a brief time before heading over permanently to the USA. Either way, the USA is now your permanent home, and you are currently visiting the UK.

There is no "best" way...sounds like you are doing all the right things. Yes, having no USA experience might work against you.

In my opinion, it's better to already be in the USA when job hunting, that way you can easily attend an interview, a call won't be long distance, the employer won't think you need a work visa, etc.

Definitely!! Besides which, your USA address and phone number is really your current information anyway. Why would you want to put outdated information on a resume, such as an old UK address (since the UK is no longer your permanent residence)?

I wouldn't. There's no need to mention you are temporarily visiting the UK at this time. It doesn't add anything to your resume, and it most likely makes is less attractive. It's just not pertinent information for a resume.

Volunteering in your field of work would be a good idea to make contacts and gain US experience. Working in a bar or restaurant, if it's not your field of work, doesn't gain you much except to help your cash flow while you're job hunting.

Rene
Old May 4th 2011, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

LinkedIn got me valuable contacts.
Old May 4th 2011, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

chopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nice

How exciting!

Hi all,

We (couple) have just got our green cards and we are now looking to go to the States.
Do you mean that you have got your stamp in your passport? (Sorry I forget what it's called.. I-551 ??) ??
Do you still need to travel to USA within 6 months to get your visa "activated"? Is one of you a USC??

Watch that you are not out of the USA for more than 6 months at a time once you get your actual green card. I did that. Not recommended.

From my own experience I can tell you that unless its a job that calls for overseas expertise, or is in an area that has no skills base in the USA you will never get an interview with a UK address. Picture it, HR wading through masses of job applicants and your weird address pops up. straight to trash can.

Once i realised this, and started putting my in-laws address/phone number on my resume, I started getting interviews. Then you have the very expensive interview travel. I never had a problem with interviewers "softly" discovering that i had traveled 2000 miles. Just make sure they know you are practically packed and all your paperwork is in order.

You have to weigh up the idea of a seamless international transfer from one "proper" job to another, with the probable delay to your plans for a new life (and immigration hassles every time you tell the stern looking immigration man at the airport that you were just visiting the UK and you are arriving back in the USA, honest governor!-NEVER TELL THEM YOU ARE HERE FOR AN INTERVIEW) VERSUS leaving now with no job and the prospect of eating into your emergency savings for the forseeable future.

Get an American address. If you have no reliable person to take messages for you, there are phone services that you can use. I think with Vonage you can have an American phone number diverted to any phone in the world for about $10/month

America is a big place. You have a lot of research to do. I'm sure there are agencies out there. Google it. Good luck..it can be done.
Old May 4th 2011, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Geoff and Chopper40,

I am in the process of building up my LinkedIn profile although my husband already has one so we are definitely looking into this. I think it might ultimately be the way to go in the USA as they seem to use the site more than here. Hopefully we will get something quickly as I have been told it normally takes about 6 months to get a job in the States but I am just so used to getting a job quickly here that 6 months seems like a lifetime .

I will keep you guys posted on any progress we make though.

Chopper40 we have green cards and everything else, we have not stayed out for longer than 6 months and we know to apply for re-entry permits if we do need to stay out for longer than 6 months. Have done extensive travel throughout the USA for a long period of time to see which states we would be able to live in and so we are not running there blind. We feel that in the USA there is more space and in some places the weather is also much nicer than the UK of course these are not the only reasons why we are moving there but certainly in terms of career progress the USA at this point in our lives is a better bet than the UK (if not now, then when?). But really if we want to keep our green cards we need to live there - it is too costly to maintain two residences taxwise.

Appreciate all your advice.

Thanks again.

Kind regards

Monica

Originally Posted by GeoffM
LinkedIn got me valuable contacts.
Old May 4th 2011, 6:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chopper40
Do you mean that you have got your stamp in your passport? (Sorry I forget what it's called.. I-551 ??) ??
Do you still need to travel to USA within 6 months to get your visa "activated"? Is one of you a USC??

Watch that you are not out of the USA for more than 6 months at a time once you get your actual green card.
It sounds like they've already come to the USA and got the Immigrant Visa endorsed, which means they have a 1-year I-551 stamp in their passports. The I-551 IS the actual green card.

But you are right, they should not stay outside the USA too long. Under 6 months is recommended. She mentioned they were coming back to the USA in a few weeks, but I don't know how long they've already been outside the USA.

(and immigration hassles every time you tell the stern looking immigration man at the airport that you were just visiting the UK and you are arriving back in the USA, honest governor!-NEVER TELL THEM YOU ARE HERE FOR AN INTERVIEW)
They are US PRs now, with green cards, so they won't have any immigration hassles if they come to the USA for job interviews.

Rene
Old May 4th 2011, 6:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you're looking for really senior type roles, you'll not get much luck being in the UK.

Best bet is all networking, so LinkedIn and any trade association type groups and uni alumni connections will be great for introductions.

But will certainly help if you're in the hub where the jobs are. The OH, depending on what kind of energy, MA is a good place for research and renewables, Texas obviously for the oil and gas and then there's more research out on the west coast, solar and wind especially.

Banking, anywhere really, depends on what kind of banking work you're after I guess.
Old May 4th 2011, 7:00 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

We don't really mind the state at the moment as we will have to go wherever jobs take us.
What sort of jobs are you looking for? We all live in different areas in the US and might know of something... but we don't know what you do.

Ian
Old May 4th 2011, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

chopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nicechopper40 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
They are US PRs now, with green cards, so they won't have any immigration hassles if they come to the USA for job interviews.

Rene
Rene
When I said
(and immigration hassles every time you tell the stern looking immigration man at the airport that you were just visiting the UK and you are arriving back in the USA, honest governor!-NEVER TELL THEM YOU ARE HERE FOR AN INTERVIEW)

I was alluding to the fact that the Immigration officer could twig that they have not yet taken up residence in the USA. Why would you be travelling from abroad for an interview if you already live in that country?

As you said, they are now US residents. They are only "visiting" when in the UK now.