Reload this Page >

Getting a Job in the USA

Getting a Job in the USA

Old Apr 5th 2011, 11:59 am
Just Joined

timtitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a Job in the USA

Hi

I just found these forums and thought i'd punt a question or two.

I've worked in the USA for a year as a research student (Oak Ridge National Laboratory), and I have a Masters in Physics. I really enjoyed working in the USA, and would love to go back there. At the moment I work in Aerospace, and I'd like to do a PhD eventually. Now if I wanted to emigrate I know a PhD in the US would be the easiest option (I was offered sponsership before, and i'm confident I teach). But i got married last year, and i'm worried that doing a PhD would mean I wouldn't be able to support my wife and for us to start a family if I don't earn enough money.

My worry over work in the USA is I know most jobs in my sector require US Citizenship as they are related to Defense.

What would you people suggest as the best route to living and working in the USA? My wife and I like the idea of Texas, and I really enjoyed Tennessee when I lived there.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 12:16 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a Job in the USA

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
Old Apr 5th 2011, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

I have read the stickys, sorry i should have made that clear. I am simply seeking the thoughts and advice of those with more experience than I.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by timtitan
Hi

I just found these forums and thought i'd punt a question or two.

I've worked in the USA for a year as a research student (Oak Ridge National Laboratory), and I have a Masters in Physics. I really enjoyed working in the USA, and would love to go back there. At the moment I work in Aerospace, and I'd like to do a PhD eventually. Now if I wanted to emigrate I know a PhD in the US would be the easiest option (I was offered sponsership before, and i'm confident I teach). But i got married last year, and i'm worried that doing a PhD would mean I wouldn't be able to support my wife and for us to start a family if I don't earn enough money.

My worry over work in the USA is I know most jobs in my sector require US Citizenship as they are related to Defense.

What would you people suggest as the best route to living and working in the USA? My wife and I like the idea of Texas, and I really enjoyed Tennessee when I lived there.
I wouldn't even think about specific locations at this point. By the sounds of it, your best bet would be to get a job in the UK with a company that is US owned/has substantial presence in the US (BAE systems springs to mind)...and then see if you can get a transfer at some point and make the move that way on an L1 visa.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 3:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by timtitan
I have read the stickys...
Since you ask... if you've ready the sticky and there is no visa that is applicable to you - then, quite simply, you won't be coming to the US as anything other than a visitor. I'm not deliberately trying to be a smart arse, but there are only so many visa routes to the US and if none fit...

Ian
Old Apr 5th 2011, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Aerospace is probably a no go, US citizenship is often a requirement in that industry.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 4:11 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Aerospace is probably a no go, US citizenship is often a requirement in that industry.
True. However, avionics is closely related and there are a lot of work on the civil side that doesn't require US citizenship. That may be an area the OP should consider looking.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Lockheed Martin in Orlando have a load of engineers/electronics/avionics people on H1-B, according to a neighbor of mine who works there....
Old Apr 5th 2011, 5:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
True. However, avionics is closely related and there are a lot of work on the civil side that doesn't require US citizenship. That may be an area the OP should consider looking.
Around Boston, a shit load of those jobs still require security clearance, which can be hard to get a decent level of if you don't have citizenship.

Could always look to do a PhD with a decent place that offers subsidised/free housing on a J1 and the missus could then work...options with MIT for instance.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 6:00 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Around Boston, a shit load of those jobs still require security clearance, which can be hard to get a decent level of if you don't have citizenship.

Could always look to do a PhD with a decent place that offers subsidised/free housing on a J1 and the missus could then work...options with MIT for instance.
I know all about security clearance, but as I said there is still a lot of work on the civil side, but for some reason most of it seems to concentrated in the Midwest (other than a certain plane maker based in Seattle) and they can and do hire engineers on H1-Bs. So I wouldn't dismiss the option out of hand.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly. I worked for BAE Systems and never got a bite when applying for transfers, even with a greencard.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 9:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you any good at filling holes?
Old Apr 6th 2011, 11:55 am
Just Joined

There are places that offer subsidized accomadation to PhD students?
Old Apr 6th 2011, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
Exactly. I worked for BAE Systems and never got a bite when applying for transfers, even with a greencard.
I agree...however, if transferring internally from a UK position this can be gotten around, which is why I'm inclined to think the whole L1 route might be best bet in this case. As a "man on the street" applying directly for US positions though.....very little chance.