British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Getting a Job in the USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/getting-job-usa-712193/)

timtitan Apr 5th 2011 11:59 am

Getting a Job in the USA

Hi

I just found these forums and thought i'd punt a question or two.

I've worked in the USA for a year as a research student (Oak Ridge National Laboratory), and I have a Masters in Physics. I really enjoyed working in the USA, and would love to go back there. At the moment I work in Aerospace, and I'd like to do a PhD eventually. Now if I wanted to emigrate I know a PhD in the US would be the easiest option (I was offered sponsership before, and i'm confident I teach). But i got married last year, and i'm worried that doing a PhD would mean I wouldn't be able to support my wife and for us to start a family if I don't earn enough money.

My worry over work in the USA is I know most jobs in my sector require US Citizenship as they are related to Defense.

What would you people suggest as the best route to living and working in the USA? My wife and I like the idea of Texas, and I really enjoyed Tennessee when I lived there.

tonrob Apr 5th 2011 12:16 pm

Re: Getting a Job in the USA

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

timtitan Apr 5th 2011 12:18 pm

I have read the stickys, sorry i should have made that clear. I am simply seeking the thoughts and advice of those with more experience than I.

Dan725 Apr 5th 2011 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by timtitan (Post 9286598)
Hi

I just found these forums and thought i'd punt a question or two.

I've worked in the USA for a year as a research student (Oak Ridge National Laboratory), and I have a Masters in Physics. I really enjoyed working in the USA, and would love to go back there. At the moment I work in Aerospace, and I'd like to do a PhD eventually. Now if I wanted to emigrate I know a PhD in the US would be the easiest option (I was offered sponsership before, and i'm confident I teach). But i got married last year, and i'm worried that doing a PhD would mean I wouldn't be able to support my wife and for us to start a family if I don't earn enough money.

My worry over work in the USA is I know most jobs in my sector require US Citizenship as they are related to Defense.

What would you people suggest as the best route to living and working in the USA? My wife and I like the idea of Texas, and I really enjoyed Tennessee when I lived there.

I wouldn't even think about specific locations at this point. By the sounds of it, your best bet would be to get a job in the UK with a company that is US owned/has substantial presence in the US (BAE systems springs to mind)...and then see if you can get a transfer at some point and make the move that way on an L1 visa.

ian-mstm Apr 5th 2011 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by timtitan (Post 9286619)
I have read the stickys...

Since you ask... if you've ready the sticky and there is no visa that is applicable to you - then, quite simply, you won't be coming to the US as anything other than a visitor. I'm not deliberately trying to be a smart arse, but there are only so many visa routes to the US and if none fit...

Ian

Duncan Roberts Apr 5th 2011 3:58 pm

Aerospace is probably a no go, US citizenship is often a requirement in that industry.

zargof Apr 5th 2011 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 9287029)
Aerospace is probably a no go, US citizenship is often a requirement in that industry.

True. However, avionics is closely related and there are a lot of work on the civil side that doesn't require US citizenship. That may be an area the OP should consider looking.

Awesome Welles Apr 5th 2011 4:13 pm

Lockheed Martin in Orlando have a load of engineers/electronics/avionics people on H1-B, according to a neighbor of mine who works there....

Bob Apr 5th 2011 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 9287054)
True. However, avionics is closely related and there are a lot of work on the civil side that doesn't require US citizenship. That may be an area the OP should consider looking.

Around Boston, a shit load of those jobs still require security clearance, which can be hard to get a decent level of if you don't have citizenship.

Could always look to do a PhD with a decent place that offers subsidised/free housing on a J1 and the missus could then work...options with MIT for instance.

zargof Apr 5th 2011 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9287211)
Around Boston, a shit load of those jobs still require security clearance, which can be hard to get a decent level of if you don't have citizenship.

Could always look to do a PhD with a decent place that offers subsidised/free housing on a J1 and the missus could then work...options with MIT for instance.

I know all about security clearance, but as I said there is still a lot of work on the civil side, but for some reason most of it seems to concentrated in the Midwest (other than a certain plane maker based in Seattle) and they can and do hire engineers on H1-Bs. So I wouldn't dismiss the option out of hand.

Anian Apr 5th 2011 8:55 pm

Exactly. I worked for BAE Systems and never got a bite when applying for transfers, even with a greencard.

Boiler Apr 5th 2011 9:29 pm

Are you any good at filling holes?

timtitan Apr 6th 2011 11:55 am

There are places that offer subsidized accomadation to PhD students?

Dan725 Apr 6th 2011 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Anian (Post 9287605)
Exactly. I worked for BAE Systems and never got a bite when applying for transfers, even with a greencard.

I agree...however, if transferring internally from a UK position this can be gotten around, which is why I'm inclined to think the whole L1 route might be best bet in this case. As a "man on the street" applying directly for US positions though.....very little chance.