Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting a job in the USA

Getting a job in the USA

Old Jan 29th 2008, 11:48 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a job in the USA

A lot of the other posts have really answered the questions, but I'll chime in with a few comments as well.

1) Visa, visa, visa, visa.
Ok, everything is pie in the sky until this gets sorted. And it is an absolute total and complete pain, unless you marry an American (and then you have another pain to deal with ). But as marriage is closed, your looking at the H1-B (along with every other Indian and Chinese tech person) and possibly an intra-company transfer working for a big company over there and switching to their US office for a few years.

2) Everything you dislike about the UK exists in the US, in one place or the other. States vary wildly in taxation, alcohol consumption, and guns per overtaxed drunk individual rates. You'll find problems here just as you do there.

3) The US is huge. If you find yourself in one part of the country with taxes and culture you don't like, there are plenty of other places you can try that might be better suited.

(interesting random question for others--would you say the cultural differences between different cities in the US (San Fran and Dallas) are greater than cultural differences between different cities in the UK (London and Manchester)?)

4) You will need a car. 3 kids...you'll need a car. Nothing is close. Even in the cities where things are close and public transit exists....you'll need a car.

If you are looking for tech, I'd consider:
Silicon Valley / SFO
Washington DC / Northern Virginia (biotech in Maryland)
Boston
Seattle
Austin Texas area
North Carolina Tech Triangle

I think these regions would offer more tech jobs than some others. The Valley 'has it all' and is the first pick for many techies, but other regional areas have developed their own technology sectors (Telcom in DC, Biotech in Maryland, PC hardware in Texas, etc).

http://www.dice.com is a great tech job site. I also like http://www.washingtonpost.com for DC area jobs and housing info. Monster.com someone mentioned. http://www.theladders.com lists only higher paying senior positions. The Chronicle of Higher Education website has an academic placement site if you want to go that route.

Good luck.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

happyuk07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting a job in the USA

Once again, thanks a lot!