Reload this Page >

Getting a job on H1B

Getting a job on H1B

Old Jan 27th 2004, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

______ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a job on H1B

Hi All,

I am thinking seriously of settling down in the USA, and it appears from reading this forum and other immigration literature, that my most likely option is via the H1B Employment route.

I have a Bachelors degree in Manufacturing Engineering and a Masters in IT, with a total of about 3 years experience. My question is that is there anyone (in a similar situation to me) who has lucky enough to end up getting a job, before entering the states within the last year or so ??

Thanks.

M
Old Jan 27th 2004, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Expat_Wannabe is on a distinguished road

Hedging your bets and going for Canada and USA?!? Think Canada is easier under their points based visa application. I've been applying for internships in the US since last summer and have had very little response. As far as I know, H1B visas are even harder to come by!
Good luck!
Old Jan 27th 2004, 6:29 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm here on an H1B, but I'm afraid I don't have much encouragement to offer.

As of this year, the number of H1B visas available has been cut dramatically (I forget the numbers, but it's something like a 60% decrease).

As others have found, if you try to apply for jobs in the US from the UK, you're almost certain to be rejected - with the job market as it is over here, few employers would consider a foreign worker over an American.

In my case its down to having a skill which is particularly obscure or hard to find (particularly in the Sciences) that and already having contact with the company you're apply to. As you can imagine, this is a pretty unusual situation. By far the majority of H1B holders started out as students studying in the US, and thus gained contact with companies that wanted their skills while they were already over here.

I know this isn't a particularly positive outlook on your situation, but it's best to know the situation I guess.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 7:01 pm
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all

Originally posted by dbj1000
I'm here on an H1B, but I'm afraid I don't have much encouragement to offer.

As of this year, the number of H1B visas available has been cut dramatically (I forget the numbers, but it's something like a 60% decrease).

As others have found, if you try to apply for jobs in the US from the UK, you're almost certain to be rejected - with the job market as it is over here, few employers would consider a foreign worker over an American.

In my case its down to having a skill which is particularly obscure or hard to find (particularly in the Sciences) that and already having contact with the company you're apply to. As you can imagine, this is a pretty unusual situation. By far the majority of H1B holders started out as students studying in the US, and thus gained contact with companies that wanted their skills while they were already over here.

I know this isn't a particularly positive outlook on your situation, but it's best to know the situation I guess.
To add to what's been said, the annual quota of H-1B's was cut from 195,000 to 65,000 this year. Many immigration lawyers are predicting that the cap will be reached as early as March.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 8:56 am
Just Joined

If the Annual Quota is set to be reduced to around the 60,000 mark, and it is also the opinion of some that this could be reached as early as March/April...

Does this strictly mean that there is no way of getting a H1B....and one will have to try to get under another visa category ??? Is there another category ??
Old Jan 28th 2004, 6:45 pm
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all

Originally posted by ______
If the Annual Quota is set to be reduced to around the 60,000 mark, and it is also the opinion of some that this could be reached as early as March/April...

Does this strictly mean that there is no way of getting a H1B....and one will have to try to get under another visa category ??? Is there another category ??
Yes, once the visa cap is reached, no new H-1B's will be issued. There are other visa categories, depends on your exact current circumstances.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

I got a job in late 2000 on an H1 visa, got my visa in my passport early 2001 and was all ready to go. Sold the house, packed the bags, and about thirty seconds before we due to go the US tech economy crashed and all of a sudden I didn't have a job to go to....

Being somewhat tenacious (possibly a slight understatement) I wouldn't take no for an answer, so over the last three years I've sent over 3500 cold call CV's - lots of thanks but no thanks replies... I've spoken to numerous US recruiting companies, gone to the US and met them in person, and even tried talking to UK subsidiaries of US companies and persuaded them to intervene with their parent companies on my behalf. All to no avail...

However. The last mailshot I did (750 cold calls), in October 2003, I got one positive interest, they offered me a job after a couple of phone interviews, and we are going to NC in late April.

The point of this is - if you want it badly enough, don't give up. You only need the one opportunity, and if you keep trying, you'll get there in the end.

And I wanted it that badly.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 8:35 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Big Vern
I got a job in late 2000 on an H1 visa, got my visa in my passport early 2001 and was all ready to go. Sold the house, packed the bags, and about thirty seconds before we due to go the US tech economy crashed and all of a sudden I didn't have a job to go to....

Being somewhat tenacious (possibly a slight understatement) I wouldn't take no for an answer, so over the last three years I've sent over 3500 cold call CV's - lots of thanks but no thanks replies... I've spoken to numerous US recruiting companies, gone to the US and met them in person, and even tried talking to UK subsidiaries of US companies and persuaded them to intervene with their parent companies on my behalf. All to no avail...

However. The last mailshot I did (750 cold calls), in October 2003, I got one positive interest, they offered me a job after a couple of phone interviews, and we are going to NC in late April.

The point of this is - if you want it badly enough, don't give up. You only need the one opportunity, and if you keep trying, you'll get there in the end.

And I wanted it that badly.
This story has a happy ending despite the intial upset of not going to the US as planned.

I live in Durham, NC. Whereabouts in NC are you heading? The Triangle perhaps?
Old Jan 28th 2004, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

We'll be starting off in Cornelius, not far from Charlotte, where the company I'll work for is based. There's a fair chance I'll be working on a long term basis at a client's premises initially, but we don't yet know which part of NC that will be.

How are you finding NC overall?? we've been to CA, MA (we have friends in Boston) and FL in the past - how does it compare??
Old Jan 28th 2004, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

Some encouraging words there ...Big Vern....and all the best !!

I definitely haven't send off for as many jobs as yourself, however I am certainly going to give it a try !!

I went to the States in '98 and covered areas like NY, DC and VA. This was during Uni and was a short trip.

Did you get hired in the IT field ?? any strong recommendations with regards to which websites/agencies to look for ??
Old Jan 29th 2004, 1:32 am
Lt Cl (Rtd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Big Vern
.... How are you finding NC overall?? ....
Love it, wouldn't want to move now we've settled. The weather rarely gets too bad in winter, nor do you fry/ steam too badly in the summer, house prices are reasonable, commuting is reasonable, property taxes can be really low (if you live outside of Charlotte), what is there to dislike about Charlotte Metro?
Old Jan 29th 2004, 2:24 am
Banned

Originally posted by Pulaski
Love it, wouldn't want to move now we've settled. The weather rarely gets too bad in winter, nor do you fry/ steam too badly in the summer, house prices are reasonable, commuting is reasonable, property taxes can be really low (if you live outside of Charlotte), what is there to dislike about Charlotte Metro?
Well, nothin I guess....but it aint San Francisco.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 2:43 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Big Vern - you need an avatar.
(attached to this post)

And ________ is that pronounced _______ or _________ ?

(You see I had a friend called ________ and if I called him by _____ he didn't like it.)

Attached Images  
Old Jan 29th 2004, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Webbie - I haven't read Viz in years, but he was always my favourite character!
Old Jan 29th 2004, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Yes its ______ and not _____ Anyway whats in a name !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.