getting a job

getting a job

Old Mar 27th 2008, 7:52 am
Just Joined

paulandfamily is an unknown quantity at this point
Default getting a job

Hi,

need some advice on jobhunting.

I am a Warehouse Manager in Stoke on Trent and would like to know the best way to pursue a similar career in the states.

Is this a viable career option? Is there a market for Warehouse Managers?

Do i need to be face to face with employers.

it seems i need a job to get a visa but need a visa to get a job.

any advice would be gratefully received.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: getting a job

Unless you marry an American, I can't see that there is a suitable visa for that occupation, sorry. Try reading the wiki links for a list of the ways to get there.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

You wont be able to move out there based on a career move. Getting a job as a warehouse manager with a US firm as a foreigner would be virtually impossible. The work visa in question would be the H1B. They are of a very limited number, and can only be applied for on the 1st April each year (they are released and all taken up within that 1 day and most people dont get it) for a 1st October start. You cannot apply for a work Visa, an employer needs to apply for you, and as has been mentioned you will not find an employer willing or able to do that for your profession. In addition to that, you need either a degree or 12 years experience in your field. Whether you are face to face with them, or applying remotely, it's not going to happen. No offence or spite intended, just being truthful. I dont want you to think I'm being mean spirited, thats just the way it is.

The only possibility for you to move on a work basis would be if your company have offices in the US and were willing to transfer you. That kind of visa is called the L1 visa. I am moving on an L1 visa as I have worked for my firm for at least 1 year (i've been here 4 years now actually). If not, perhaps try finding a major logistics company (or something related to what you do now) with offices in both places, and go there with a view to transferring after you have been there a year. It's hard, and obviously is a long term play, but it's a chance. I dont have a degree so being transferred is the only way I would be able to move to the US. If my firm were not willing to do it, I basically wouldnt be able to go unless I got married.

Maybe you would have more luck with Canada or Australia? Are you set on the US? If not, I would research other places as well.

Good luck mate, if you are really dedicated to the idea, you never know what could happen.

Last edited by pejpm1; Mar 27th 2008 at 2:14 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 2:24 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulandfamily
Hi,

I am a Warehouse Manager in Stoke on Trent and would like to know the best way to pursue a similar career in the states.

Read this link, then tell us what visa you may be eligible for.

From what you've told us, your only chance is to marry an American.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 6:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

No chance without marrying a yank....why the US though?

Probably have a chance with other countries that have a points system like Canada and Oz etc, long process though, but doable.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paulandfamily
Hi,

Well - I am (kind of) in the same boat as you. I was a Warehouse Manager (seniorish though - in charge of EMEA logistics)...was lucky - worked for a US company and came over on an L1A after 3 years in the UK. Then applied for greencard - received last week.

My intention wasn't to come here at all funnily - just a job came up and I went for it (in fact originally came here for 2 weeks...ended up staying) So it's not impossible - you don't say if you're in own account logistics or 3rd party or whatever. If own account - try some of the big American firms in your area (pharmaceuticals, food manufacture etc), work for them for a year and keep an eye on the internal bulletin board for roles over here.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:35 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ri_mischief
My intention wasn't to come here at all funnily - just a job came up and I went for it
This is the norm IMO. Most who go to, say, OZ have chosen and planned their route. Conversely, those who end up in the US more often arrive through force of circumstance.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fatbrit
This is the norm IMO. Most who go to, say, OZ have chosen and planned their route. Conversely, those who end up in the US more often arrive through force of circumstance.
Yeah - weird huh? I came for work - ended up staying 'cos I fell in love with a septic - should really have known better!