Reload this Page >

Getting into the US

Getting into the US

Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

MaineLeedsbloke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting into the US

Originally Posted by CIBSE1974
My wife and I are wanting to relocate to the US based on my engineering qualifications (BEng Hons) but currently cannot get any US Company to entertain my CV.

Is it purely down to the US economy as I can't believe every job I apply for there is somebody more qualified than myself?

Has anybody any advice that we could follow as we are desparate to get out of the UK?

Thanks

Carl
Everyone's advice on here is correct............you face an extremely difficult task firstly getting a visa and then finding a job in this economic climate.
I have been trying for a year to move from PA to New England and it has been really hard to secure an interview and I have to say that most of the jobs I applied for had a bias towards local candidates.
I will be sarcastic one point............we have such an idiot in the White House that your best bet maybe to come over here on a visa waiver and wait it out for an amnesty.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VTleedsbloke
... we have such an idiot in the White House...
Sorry, that was the last guy!

... that your best bet maybe to come over here on a visa waiver and wait it out for an amnesty.
I suggest you refrain from offering advice that could land you deep trouble. US conspiracy laws will make bamboo shoots under your fingernails seems like a pleasant manicure!

Ian
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VTleedsbloke
Everyone's advice on here is correct............you face an extremely difficult task firstly getting a visa and then finding a job in this economic climate.
I have been trying for a year to move from PA to New England and it has been really hard to secure an interview and I have to say that most of the jobs I applied for had a bias towards local candidates.
I will be sarcastic one point............we have such an idiot in the White House that your best bet maybe to come over here on a visa waiver and wait it out for an amnesty.
Welcome to BE fellow Yorkie.

*cough* I know you were being sarcastic but..."messages describing anything against the law is not allowed and will be removed. "
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 3:45 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
I'm an engineer with a Master's and I've been out of work 6months. I can't even apply to jobs that would require relocation as most of those say they will only consider local candidates. It really is down to the economy and employers knowing that they have the pick of the workforce. If anyone stands out as looking just a bit difficult (i.e. requiring sponsorship or needing to relocate), they are just tossing your CV/resume into the rubbish bin. .....
Sadly all that is true - I was hiring earlier this year (not engineers I must say), and we were snowed under with applications - almost 1,000 for what was eventually just 4 (four) positions.

I tried interviewing the "best" candidates, but when time for salary negotiations arrived, my employer wasn't paying enough to get people to relocate themselves because we weren't paying relocation!

Then we switched to interviewing the "best qualified" local people based on their resumés ..... and I soon discovered that US masters degrees aren't worth the paper they're printed on! These people weren't even dynamic and motivated - I'm not sure how they summoned the enthusiasm to get out of bed every day, much less to obtain a masters degree!

Finally we settled on finding a couple of good people who were already with the company, and a couple of people who already had some experience in a related are having worked for us as contractors. I am pleased to report after 5 months they are all performing well and gaining experience and confidence as each day passes.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 6:29 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FairyTale
So corporate transfer is an easy option?

I work with a renown American engineering firm and we have offices around US, headquarters being in CA.

So in such corporate transfers, dont they ask any questions? like why not hire someone locally etc?

How about the cost? Is it still as high as $10K ?
Originally Posted by celticgrid
I was talking to our HR people the other day regarding visas - the company uses a mix of visas including a blanket L - and their stance is that a manager looking at bringing someone in should budget for a minimum of $6,800 for the process. Could be higher, depending how things go. So yes, could be $10,000.
Corporate transfers usually involve a lot more cost than just the visa processing. My company's standard relocation package included shipping, accountants fees, tax gross-ups, temporary accommodation, rental car and more. The budget my boss signed up for moving me was roughly equivalent to a year's salary, as it happened.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Corporate transfers usually involve a lot more cost than just the visa processing. My company's standard relocation package included shipping, accountants fees, tax gross-ups, temporary accommodation, rental car and more. The budget my boss signed up for moving me was roughly equivalent to a year's salary, as it happened.
Yes, but you are special!
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 12:33 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Indeed. I was simply talking about the costs associated with the visa itself.

Total costs are far greater, though some of them would apply equally to transfers / relocations of a US employee within the US. Admittedly, some wouldn't, and some would be on a different scale, which is why it is almost impossible to talk numbers. However, the original question was regarding visa costs, which are more able to be quantified.

During the same chat with our HR folks they mentioned that the 'usual' cost of a relocation within the US should be budgeted as around $75,000 and up, but every case is different. I managed to get a relocation package to move just over 100 miles up the road, as it were. We were a cheap relocation due to the circumstances, but it was still a hefty 5 figure sum in the end.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

MaineLeedsbloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you tried looking at other countries such as Canada or Australia to see if they have easier ways of getting a work visa legally?
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 3:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE fellow Yorkie.

*cough* I know you were being sarcastic but..."messages describing anything against the law is not allowed and will be removed. "
Not a criminal offence.

Could be a strategy to consider.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
Indeed. I was simply talking about the costs associated with the visa itself.

Total costs are far greater, though some of them would apply equally to transfers / relocations of a US employee within the US. Admittedly, some wouldn't, and some would be on a different scale, which is why it is almost impossible to talk numbers. However, the original question was regarding visa costs, which are more able to be quantified.

During the same chat with our HR folks they mentioned that the 'usual' cost of a relocation within the US should be budgeted as around $75,000 and up, but every case is different. I managed to get a relocation package to move just over 100 miles up the road, as it were. We were a cheap relocation due to the circumstances, but it was still a hefty 5 figure sum in the end.
I dont mean to start a debate but some of the rubbish I have seen move from UK to Australia (where I worked before), is not worth 5% of the money they spend on relocation. I mean these executives claim the most remote of the expenses are relating to the move. They pretty much suck up as much blood out of the organization as possible.

Apart from being nasty (!!) the point is - the six figure moves are not norm. One can easily move for less than that...It's when the executives move (or very high calibre people who deserve it) with hefty demands.