Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting into the US

Getting into the US

Old Aug 30th 2010, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

CIBSE1974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Getting into the US

My wife and I are wanting to relocate to the US based on my engineering qualifications (BEng Hons) but currently cannot get any US Company to entertain my CV.

Is it purely down to the US economy as I can't believe every job I apply for there is somebody more qualified than myself?

Has anybody any advice that we could follow as we are desparate to get out of the UK?

Thanks

Carl
Old Aug 30th 2010, 6:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting into the US

Originally Posted by CIBSE1974
Is it purely down to the US economy as I can't believe every job I apply for there is somebody more qualified than myself?
It's not just the economy... but there are already hundreds, if not thousands, of qualified engineers who are out of work and don't need sponsoring. It's an expensive proposition for the sponsoring company... and if you want to be taken seriously, you need to have superior qualifications to the next guy.

Has anybody any advice that we could follow as we are desparate to get out of the UK?
Find a job with a branch office in the US, work yourself up the chain for a few years, and then look at an L-1A/B visa. Alternately, if you have the dosh, look at any of the E investment visas.

Ian
Old Aug 30th 2010, 6:35 pm
Spouse of Resident Alien

White-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud of

My wife and I are wanting to relocate to the US based on my engineering qualifications (BEng Hons) but currently cannot get any US Company to entertain my CV.

Thanks

Carl
Regarding your cv, did you realise that UK and US cvs can be quite different? - it might me worth getting someone to 'Americanise' it just so you are not discarded at the first filter.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Carl
I'm an engineer with a Master's and I've been out of work 6months. I can't even apply to jobs that would require relocation as most of those say they will only consider local candidates. It really is down to the economy and employers knowing that they have the pick of the workforce. If anyone stands out as looking just a bit difficult (i.e. requiring sponsorship or needing to relocate), they are just tossing your CV/resume into the rubbish bin.

And btw, I'm a native US citizen with all my education and professional experience in the US, and I'm still having trouble. You will just need to have some patience in finding the right company willing to sponsor you.

Just wanted to add, though, that if you have quite a bit of extensive experience in a specialized field, you may have an easier time an engineer that is less specialized. If this is the case for you, instead of only looking at companies that have current job openings, try researching companies that hire in your field and send them your resume/CV even if they have no current job openings. Also, check out linkedin to find people that may work in the companies you are interested in. A lot of times, it is still who you know in the US job market, so networking is important.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Aug 30th 2010 at 7:00 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe every job I apply for there is somebody more qualified than myself?
Maybe, maybe not but you can be sure that there are acceptable candidates that don't require sponsorship and can start immediately though.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Carl
You don't say which discipline you are; mechanical, electrical, etc?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE

Had a look at the wiki up top? You don't give enough details to get any specifics but read this - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

It's a good place to start.

Just one question, why desperate to leave the UK? If it is just the fancy of adventure and to try new cultures, you've got the rest of the EU where you don't have to worry about visas and your qualifications will have merit and meeting.

You really do have to have niche skills to get into the US these days on a work visa, just a massive expense other wise.

Also need to consider if your wife wants/needs to work, that'll rule out H1B so you'll have to find a company in the UK who'll eventually transfer you.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 3:19 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

You are competing for an H1 visa, more than likely. Not only is there an added $5,000-$10,000 cost associated with this that the employer has to pay, but you are also up against every engineer from IIT in India and Tsinghua in China, not to mention those US-educated foreign nationals as well who have top grades from Stanford, MIT, Cal Tech. Many of these companies have multiple Indian or Chinese programmers and in some meetings are not even held in English.

Oh, and they'll work for a hell of a lot less money than you.

Now add to that the unemployed American citizen technology workforce, of whom there are many, and you'll start to see you really are up against quite a bit (did I mention that even if you get an H1 you can only stay 6 years?)

The easiest way in is probably through a corporate transfer--find a big UK-based company that will send you over to the US for awhile. This might be the best way in for you and your wife to come over and really get a taste of the US before considering other options to convert to permanent residence.

You should also check dice.com and see what leads you can find there. Again you'll have sponsorship issues but for tech jobs it's probably one of the best sites. Also look at indeed.com.

Good luck.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

FairyTale is just really niceFairyTale is just really niceFairyTale is just really niceFairyTale is just really niceFairyTale is just really niceFairyTale is just really niceFairyTale is just really niceFairyTale is just really nice

So corporate transfer is an easy option?

I work with a renown American engineering firm and we have offices around US, headquarters being in CA.

So in such corporate transfers, dont they ask any questions? like why not hire someone locally etc?

How about the cost? Is it still as high as $10K ?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

I have just returned to the UK after 8 years in AZ. I worked as a City Planner and had dealings with a great number of Civil Engineering companies. During the boom, these companies were shipping in staff from their other offices elsewhere in the US, or contracting work out to overseas companies. It was crazy. When the housing boom went tits up, most of those companies either laid off huge numbers of staff or folded altogether. In many instances, it seemed to happen overnight. I can't even begin to imagine how many US engineers are probably out of work right now. I'm sorry, but at the moment, you face an uphill battle.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:47 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FairyTale
How about the cost? Is it still as high as $10K ?
I was talking to our HR people the other day regarding visas - the company uses a mix of visas including a blanket L - and their stance is that a manager looking at bringing someone in should budget for a minimum of $6,800 for the process. Could be higher, depending how things go. So yes, could be $10,000.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

So in such corporate transfers, dont they ask any questions? like why not hire someone locally etc?
In the case of corporate transfers, they have normally decided to relocate that employee for business reasons. It's all in house, which is massively different from someone applying "off the street", as it were.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

So corporate transfer is an easy option?
There are still hoops to jump through and it's not "easy" but it is generally easier than bringing in a new hire on a visa.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
There are still hoops to jump through and it's not "easy" but it is generally easier than bringing in a new hire on a visa.
From my perspective, corporate transfesr are either of

- you are really really good at what you do OR
- you know someone who can jack you up

It's as simple as that. Unless of course you are talking about the dodgy Indian consultancies.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

martian1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well you would probably love to be in my shoes as my company want to send me to America for 2yrs but the Americans want me to relocate
Lots of factors made me turn down the ..dream job. Read penguinsix's reply as this is me.

Medical..you have to pay 10% everytime either of you need treatment.
Dental &optical
It's a "work at will state" ...no job security
Pay for education..expensive
Wife cannot work..visa
Visa..visa ..visa's

Not easy even if you get invited..world of hurt if you don't know what could go wrong. I am a mechanical engineer no degree just 20yrs experience i have now pushed for assignment for 2yrs as hopefully i still maintain my uk rights and have a job back here if it doesn't work out. I keep my uk pension intact and don't have to resign from my uk job.
I have had a email back from hr north america saying they are pleased to let me know assignment has now been agreed and i should get offer soon. Lets see.........
Search this forum for advice you will need it

Last edited by martian1; Aug 31st 2010 at 11:58 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.