Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting Hold of A British Consulate Officer in U.S.

Getting Hold of A British Consulate Officer in U.S.

Old Dec 2nd 2013, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Jetsetter1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting Hold of A British Consulate Officer in U.S.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question and please feel free to move. But I am just wondering if anyone has any idea how I can actually speak to a British Consulate Officer here in the U.S. I have tried calling the embassy in Washington D.C. where I keep getting an answer phone. I have left two message no one is calling me back. I have tried the Consulate office in Chicago many times and all I get is an operator telling me to call the UKBA back in the UK but the UKBA keeps telling me to call the Consulate in Chicago or Washington D.C. The reason I am trying to get a hold of them is to make an appointment for my British Citizenship Ceremony to be taken in the U.S. I have already been granted citizenship but we moved back to the U.S. before I could do the ceremony.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 6:46 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Hold of A British Consulate Officer in U.S.

Some countries don't have a problem with it. If I wanted to take the citizenship oath for Hungary inside the US, I could do it in Los Angeles. That may be a special case though since Hungary has relatively new legislation granting citizenship to people with one legitimate citizen parent.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 7:46 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Contact Liverpool. They will make the arrangements for your ceremony to be taken at your nearest consulate in the US.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell View Post
Some countries don't have a problem with it. If I wanted to take the citizenship oath for Hungary inside the US, I could do it in Los Angeles. That may be a special case though since Hungary has relatively new legislation granting citizenship to people with one legitimate citizen parent.
Ireland don't even bother with a ceremony or oath. If you qualify on ancestry grounds you just send the evidence and some $$$ to Boston for the certificate of citizenship and then some more $$$ for the passport!
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 11:36 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs View Post
Ireland don't even bother with a ceremony or oath. If you qualify on ancestry grounds you just send the evidence and some $$$ to Boston for the certificate of citizenship and then some more $$$ for the passport!
Only if you qualify through ancestry. Anyone naturalising as an Irish citizen needs to take part in a citizenship ceremony and take an oath of fidelity.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Getting Hold of A British Consulate Officer in U.S.

Consular Officers can only arrange citizenship ceremonies once they have received the authority to do so from UKBA/UKVI (this will include a certificate which is presented to you at the ceremony) without it, Consular Officers in the USA will not be able to help you. Your best bet is to reach out to your original point of contact at UKBA and ask for a status update.

If you do need to contact a Consular Officer, you can dial any Consulate in the US and select option 2.

I hope this helps.

Dean
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 1:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
Contact Liverpool. They will make the arrangements for your ceremony to be taken at your nearest consulate in the US.
That's part of problem I did contact Liverpool told them my spouse got a job transfer to the U.S. before I was granted citizenship. I had to send the letter confirming citizenship was granted to them at the Liverpool office and they would arrange the ceremony. They accepted my paperwork and told me to contact embassy in Chicago which is nearest to me to book the ceremony. So I am trying to get a hold of a Consulate officer in Chicago to confirm they have the paperwork so I can book the appointment or find out what I need to do next. Chicago is not close to where I live so don't want to book the appointment go all the way up there to find out they don't have paperwork yet.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 2:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Elvira View Post
Let me get this straight:

You passed your UK citizenship test and immediately bu99ered off to the US.

And now you expect to be able to take part in a BRITISH citizenship ceremony in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA ???

Are you seriously telling us you can't even be bothered to hop on a plane back to dear old Blighty for the one day this would take ?

I shouldn't even bother with your smart a** remark but no I didn't just leave and yeah I guess I do expect to be able to take my citizenship ceremony in the U.S. as I spent over 16 years in England paid my taxes, never on benefits, paid for 2 Spousal visa fees, 2 ILR fees and 1 citizenship fee. Oh and FYI I do have a return flight booked just in case I couldn't do it in the U.S. but rather not get on a flight for over 8 hour and back for a 30 minute ceremony.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 2:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by British Consul View Post
Consular Officers can only arrange citizenship ceremonies once they have received the authority to do so from UKBA/UKVI (this will include a certificate which is presented to you at the ceremony) without it, Consular Officers in the USA will not be able to help you. Your best bet is to reach out to your original point of contact at UKBA and ask for a status update.

If you do need to contact a Consular Officer, you can dial any Consulate in the US and select option 2.

I hope this helps.

Dean
Thanks Dean that does help and maybe I will try that tomorrow ... See my comments to BritinParis. Plus it doesn't help that they don't take phone calls in the Liverpool office anymore so you have to call the Croydon office who then contacts the Liverpool office. I just wish they would bring back the Home Office. I never had any problems getting answers or a hold of people back then, the UKBA is useless.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

jbonk24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay so I have applied for a Visa, but I have not received it as of yet. I am supposed to be flying to London, England for a semester abroad on January 6th. I have called the help line and they said that it usually takes 15 days to process a Visa. So far I am told that you have had mine for nine days. Is there any way I could expedite the process so I have it in time to leave with my program on January 6th? I am willing to pay any additional fees. In addition I would be willing to come down to the consulate in person to pick up the Visa in the coming week. Although I am having trouble booking an appointment. Does anyone know what I should do or who to contact? Also does anyone know how to make an appointment?