Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting a GA Drivers License - need ideas!

Wikiposts

Getting a GA Drivers License - need ideas!

Old Oct 13th 2005, 3:59 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a GA Drivers License - need ideas!

Originally Posted by markb99
They must have checked the wrong box somewhere else as they also registered me to vote!
Very serious error .. you haver made a claim that you are a citizen
Get sorted immediately ...
Old Oct 13th 2005, 4:10 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markb99
They must have checked the wrong box somewhere else as they also registered me to vote!
As fatbrit and Ray both imply, this is grounds for denial of future petitions of any kind to USCIS. You need to get it corrected.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 4:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Hmmm indeed. Maybe the instructor was scrutinizing your driving for being a foreigner (and I don't mean a Canuck).
Aye, I was lucky we had a blizzard the previous night and had 8 feet of snow....so there wasn't a chance in hell of me being able to speed
but she did want me to reverse into a snow bank so I could follow the curb which I wasn't to impressed about, so that was a ding in the points and a minor warning against me *l*
Old Oct 13th 2005, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

pinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant future

I live in Atlanta and so took the Georgia driving tests. They asked for my UK licence but didn't mention that they wanted to keep it, so when I had completed the written test and was handed a clipboard with the forms and my UK licence clipped together I simply put it back in my wallet and didn't think about it. I handed in the forms to the next attendant I was directed to and nothing more was said. My UK licence is still in my grubby little paws, for which I am thankful because if I ever make it back to the UK it would make more sense to be using a UK licence for car hire and the like.

Incidentally, I was a little amused when it came to taking my fingerprint. The bloke asked me for my index finger, which I proffered. He then got very annoyed at me, snapped and told me that my ring finger was the index finger?!! So, that's the one he took a print of. o.0
Old Oct 13th 2005, 4:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinKaboo
...for which I am thankful because if I ever make it back to the UK it would make more sense to be using a UK licence for car hire and the like.

might get better rental rates as a foreign license driver...certainly wouldn't collect any endorsements if you got clocked for speeding...
Old Oct 13th 2005, 4:42 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
so, it's a piece of piss.
I think you can only be failed if you have either a head on collision of run someone over.
or turn up pissed (or all 3)
Old Oct 13th 2005, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

markbb99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
If you're ever planning to naturalize, this is a red flag that you should get corrected and documented now.
Thanks for that - to be honest I never really thought anything of it from that perspective - and I certainly would never take advantage of the situation. Many thanks for your advice
Mark
Old Oct 14th 2005, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

why even tell them that you have a UK licence you are applying for a US one? I use my US one in the UK too now (saves getting any more points!!)
Old Oct 14th 2005, 7:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Big D
why even tell them that you have a UK licence you are applying for a US one? I use my US one in the UK too now (saves getting any more points!!)
Now that is a nice one!

And if you get a picture, well the owner can keep clear because they give your US address.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 9:00 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark_in_ATL
Unfortunately I think I am going to have to take the test.

I hadn't thought about the fact that they probably have no authority to take it. Either way I still need something to convince the person who issues the licenses, that they can't take it

thanks for your support...
Do what I did. Give them the paper copy and keep the plastic piece. If you ever need a UK license again, at least you have the pink card and apply for the paper section.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 2:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
I got a New York state license when I first moved here. I read on the NY DMV website that they would take my UK license and destroy it, .... In the event the NY DMV never asked for my UK license and treated me basically the same as they would a 16-year old local applying for a first license. ......
Exact same happened to me, 'cept I was going to tell the DVLC that I'd lost if the NY examiner took my licence away. In the event I wasn't even asked for it.