Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting a GA Drivers License - need ideas!

Wikiposts

Getting a GA Drivers License - need ideas!

Old Oct 12th 2005, 6:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting a GA Drivers License - need ideas!

Originally Posted by Bob
In maine it's good if your under 25 because if you don't have a drivers license you have to have the learners permit for 6 months before being allowed to take the test....

if your under 23 and have a license from another state you still have that 6 month requirement, but it isn't there for international license for some reason...
I'll take it.

If I can be under 25 again.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 11:18 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Never told them I had a UK licence. Just took the test and got the US one.
Yep, me too.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 11:32 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark_in_ATL
Unfortunately I think I am going to have to take the test.
so, it's a piece of piss.
I think you can only be failed if you have either a head on collision of run someone over.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 11:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I think you can only be failed if you have either a head on collision of run someone over.
Even then it's only 50/50.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 1:58 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Manc
I think you may get away with the running over too depending on who the victim was.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 2:01 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Never told them I had a UK licence. Just took the test and got the US one.

Exactly - do that, and be careful on the american phrasing of the theory questions...
Old Oct 13th 2005, 2:21 am
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark_in_ATL
Hi.

I have been resident in Atlanta, GA for the last few months, and I still don't have a GA drivers license. It is a law in GA that if you are resident for more than 30 days then you can't drive there with a valid GA license

The only license I have is my UK license. I had spoken the DMV about getting my license, and I understand I have to do a test etc. which is ok. The problem is that I'm getting mixed messages about whether I need to hand in the UK license. Handing it in is a serious problem for me as I work > 60% of the time outside of GA, in other states, where I can drive on my UK license.

There seems to be a very long wait time to get a license here > 6 weeks, and I don't know how I can actually do it, if the office keeps trying to take my UK license.

Can any one provide any ideas? Is there a state I can go to, and swap my UK license same day, and then come back and get GA license by swapping again??? Anything?

Thanks in advance.

Mark
I live in GA and still have my UK license. Apparantly, the easiest place to take your test here is in Cartersville (75N)
Rob
Old Oct 13th 2005, 2:22 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Exactly - do that, and be careful on the american phrasing of the theory questions...
Yeah you gotta be careful. One of mine said "what does this sign mean" and had a picture of 30mph sign.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 2:35 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Yeah you gotta be careful. One of mine said "what does this sign mean" and had a picture of 30mph sign.

ba ba boom
"just like that"
Old Oct 13th 2005, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of

A lot of my computer-based theory questions were more along the lines of "how many drunk sixteen year olds does it take to stop a vehicle traveling at 60 mph", etc. Still, it wasn't too hard to pass. The Texas driving test was a piece of piss, he docked me one point only for failing to check my rear view mirror as I pulled out of my parallel parking space, which was in fact a series of orange safety cones in the middle of a deserted parking lot.

They shouldn't even ask for your UK license, although be careful, if you drive yourself to the test, they'll probably ask for proof of insurance and may ask them to show you the license under which you drove there. As a previous poster said, just ask to speak to someone more senior if you think they want to get their hands on the pink card.

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Even then it's only 50/50.
my test went one for quite a while...but then again, I was the only person taking a test that day in the city and ther examiner cop person came over from Bangor, so wanted to make the hours drive worthwhile... hmmm
Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:23 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Tell 'em it belongs to Liz and you've already sent it back.
That's definitely the best answer....

The DMV have no right to take away something from you that they didn't issue (nor was issued by any branch of US government).

NC Penguin
Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:25 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
my test went one for quite a while...but then again, I was the only person taking a test that day in the city and ther examiner cop person came over from Bangor, so wanted to make the hours drive worthwhile... hmmm

Hmmm indeed. Maybe the instructor was scrutinizing your driving for being a foreigner (and I don't mean a Canuck).

NC Penguin
Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

markb99 is an unknown quantity at this point

I got my GA drivers license - I just went in showed the form that my H1B had been approved, my passport and a letter from landlord showing where I lived and proof of insurance The "test" included driving round the block - the examiner telling me all the places I needed to visit in GA. When we pulled up at the DMV he said "I had better make some marks on this sheet - they get mad at me if I leave it blank - you've passed of course!". If you are expecting anythnig like a British driving test - forget it! This is way easier!

They must have checked the wrong box somewhere else as they also registered me to vote!

And I didn't mention that I had a UK drivers license although the examiner made several references to the fact I had obviously been driving for a number of years.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 1:02 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markb99
They must have checked the wrong box somewhere else as they also registered me to vote!
If you're ever planning to naturalize, this is a red flag that you should get corrected and documented now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.