Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting a GA Drivers License - need ideas!

Getting a GA Drivers License - need ideas!

Old Oct 12th 2005, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

mark_in_ATL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a GA Drivers License - need ideas!

Hi.

I have been resident in Atlanta, GA for the last few months, and I still don't have a GA drivers license. It is a law in GA that if you are resident for more than 30 days then you can't drive there with a valid GA license

The only license I have is my UK license. I had spoken the DMV about getting my license, and I understand I have to do a test etc. which is ok. The problem is that I'm getting mixed messages about whether I need to hand in the UK license. Handing it in is a serious problem for me as I work > 60% of the time outside of GA, in other states, where I can drive on my UK license.

There seems to be a very long wait time to get a license here > 6 weeks, and I don't know how I can actually do it, if the office keeps trying to take my UK license.

Can any one provide any ideas? Is there a state I can go to, and swap my UK license same day, and then come back and get GA license by swapping again??? Anything?

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Old Oct 12th 2005, 9:41 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Getting a GA Drivers License - need ideas!

Take a driving test?

NO. Your UK drivers license belongs to the UK government and the DMV here have no authority to take it whatsoever. Put it away (once you passs your GA test) and keep it safe for when you go back to blighty (even for a holiday)
Old Oct 12th 2005, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

mark_in_ATL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Take a driving test?

NO. Your UK drivers license belongs to the UK government and the DMV here have no authority to take it whatsoever. Put it away (once you passs your GA test) and keep it safe for when you go back to blighty (even for a holiday)
Unfortunately I think I am going to have to take the test.

I hadn't thought about the fact that they probably have no authority to take it. Either way I still need something to convince the person who issues the licenses, that they can't take it

thanks for your support...
Just Joined

sabba has a brilliant futuresabba has a brilliant futuresabba has a brilliant futuresabba has a brilliant futuresabba has a brilliant futuresabba has a brilliant future

I did not have to give them mine, although I got my license in washington dc: I only had to take the theory test and that was it..
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark_in_ATL

The only license I have is my UK license. I had spoken the DMV about getting my license, and I understand I have to do a test etc. which is ok. The problem is that I'm getting mixed messages about whether I need to hand in the UK license. Handing it in is a serious problem for me as I work > 60% of the time outside of GA, in other states, where I can drive on my UK license.
I got a New York state license when I first moved here. I read on the NY DMV website that they would take my UK license and destroy it, so before moving over I applied to the DVLA for a replacement UK license (told them I'd lost the original). In the event the NY DMV never asked for my UK license and treated me basically the same as they would a 16-year old local applying for a first license. It wouldn't surprise me if other states act the same way.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I didnt have my UK licence taken away either. Just keep going in until you get to speak to a sensible person. Once you do then apply for your local licence, if any of them ask for your UK licence you could always say you gave it to the last person you spoke to there, they should check their records.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 10:07 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

I hadn't thought about the fact that they probably have no authority to take it. Either way I still need something to convince the person who issues the licenses, that they can't take it

Yes you will have to take the test if you want to continue driving legally and insured. However if someone at the DMV insists on keeping your UK license you insist on speaking to a supervisor.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

tell him to stick it up his arse...he can't touch it, and he'll have to treat you like a phleb that's never had a license anyway....
Old Oct 13th 2005, 3:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I brought an application form for a duplicate as Insurance.

But in most, all?, States you get no benefit from having a UK license so why bother mentioning it at the DMV.

It has occurred to me that I would be better using my UK DL in other States than CO, but I no longer have it with me as a norm.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 4:42 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Not sure on other states but in NY you also have to have a minimum of 6 months on a visa to even be able to apply for a learners permit.

If I get pulled outta state I give them the UK pink and say I'm on holiday driving my sisters car (registers in wifes name), usually just get a bollocking because the troopers can't be arsed to do the paperwork for a "foreign" licence.

Show an out of state trooper a US licence and you WILL get a fine.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 4:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rushman
Not sure on other states but in NY you also have to have a minimum of 6 months on a visa to even be able to apply for a learners permit.

If I get pulled outta state I give them the UK pink and say I'm on holiday driving my sisters car (registers in wifes name), usually just get a bollocking because the troopers can't be arsed to do the paperwork for a "foreign" licence.

Show an out of state trooper a US licence and you WILL get a fine.
I am not sure if you are out of state or out of country it makes any difference, as far as that State is concerned you are a Visitor.

But, yes, you might well be more likely to get a warning.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 5:03 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Never told them I had a UK licence. Just took the test and got the US one.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 5:06 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Well aren't we a nation of deceitful bounders?
Old Oct 13th 2005, 5:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

But in most, all?, States you get no benefit from having a UK license so why bother mentioning it at the DMV.
In maine it's good if your under 25 because if you don't have a drivers license you have to have the learners permit for 6 months before being allowed to take the test....

if your under 23 and have a license from another state you still have that 6 month requirement, but it isn't there for international license for some reason...
Old Oct 13th 2005, 6:04 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Tell 'em it belongs to Liz and you've already sent it back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.