Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting financial references from UK credit providers to take to USA

Getting financial references from UK credit providers to take to USA

Old Jun 27th 2012, 4:19 pm
Lots of questions to ask!

newlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nice
Default Re: Getting financial references from UK credit providers to take to USA

Originally Posted by MrsWaring
Sorry to intrude on your thread, but can I ask who you managed to open a bank account with in the US while you are still in the UK? I have contacted several banks, but with no luck as we don't yet have a US address. We are moving over March 2013, so wanted to start transferring savings etc.
Hi MrsWaring. Yes, we have an HSBC premier account in the UK and as my husband has started work for a US company whilst still living here, they have opened us an HSBC USA account. Not much help to you but you could go in and ask them perhaps. (I should mention it's been a long and arduous process for us though!)
Old Jun 27th 2012, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice
Default Re: Getting financial references from UK credit providers to take to USA

Originally Posted by newlifeinparadise
good thinking Denzil, definitely worth considering doing this. My main issue is that I am doing all the admin now and that we won't have our US address until 2 weeks before go (as we are getting a corporate apartment for a short time) so even if I call my credit card company for example, to let them know, I can only give them the UK correspondence address anyway.
Ultimately we are going to see what we want to keep and what we want to close once we've been there a while and once we're out of corporate housing, I'd be happy to write to any UK providers and let them know our US address.
I'd just let them know you are going to be in the States for a bit and then when you have a contact number give it to them. Meanwhile leave a UK number for any urgent enquiries. Some banks will even email to ask that you contact them in reference to a transaction. We come back to the UK every year and I always let the bank know what dates we will be there, we've never had a problem.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

Hi MrsWaring. Yes, we have an HSBC premier account in the UK and as my husband has started work for a US company whilst still living here, they have opened us an HSBC USA account. Not much help to you but you could go in and ask them perhaps. (I should mention it's been a long and arduous process for us though!)
You may find you don't need financial references if you are with HSBC. We did exactly the same as you when we moved over and they told us our UK credit scores would be transferred. We've had no problem getting credit and we took out our mortgage with HSBC.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Geoff, interesting you would say that. Neither of my credit reports show my mortgage with Nationwide Building Society. They only show current accounts and credit cards. My husband has the same, neither of them show his HSBC mortgage or his Bank of Ireland mortgage!
Can other people see their mortgages on their credit reports?
Well, I know that not all banks, credit cards etc report to all three agencies, but I'm surprised about your mortgages.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 5:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

good thinking Denzil, definitely worth considering doing this. My main issue is that I am doing all the admin now and that we won't have our US address until 2 weeks before go (as we are getting a corporate apartment for a short time) so even if I call my credit card company for example, to let them know, I can only give them the UK correspondence address anyway.
Ultimately we are going to see what we want to keep and what we want to close once we've been there a while and once we're out of corporate housing, I'd be happy to write to any UK providers and let them know our US address.
You need to let them know before you go, it'll be easier, even if you provide a temporary address such as the employers address.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 2:08 pm
Lots of questions to ask!

newlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nice

Just to update you, I spoke to Nationwide Building Society and they said it was no problem (and free) for them to provide a financial references - however, they said that whoever needs the reference should apply to them directly and at that time, they would contact me for permission to provide it.

Pretty helpful.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know if I would bother. I had excellent credit in the UK...experian, equifax , amex (40k limit)....every single 'sister' organisation in the US told me it made no difference. Experian US said they 'dont talk' to their UK counterpart......which seems crazy. we had to start at scratch with credit and until you have a SSN they dont recognise you or start a file. we had a mortgage for 3 years before we got our SSNs and it didnt help one iota.

advice we had was get as many cards as possible and make the payments on time and in full
Old Jul 1st 2012, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing I think is worth getting would be a statement of mortgage interest paid if you've sold your UK house, as you'll need that for your US taxes. We had to ask several times for it as the bank kept sending us one for the UK tax year, when we needed it for the calendar year.